PDA

View Full Version : Grey Render = Monstrous Cat Jack Russel Hybrid w/ Severe Separation Anxiety

Moredhel24
2018-06-11, 06:45 PM
So reading the MToF entry on Grey Renders and it reminds me of a monstrous hybrid Cat and Jack Russel/Bully Breed mix that suffers from severe separation anxiety.

1. Alignment Chaotic Neutral which fits both animals
2. Hates other mounts,roaring loudly when others touch master, attacking when jealous, following even when told to stay, and its behavoirs when it finds a master can all be signs of separation anxiety along w/ the overbearing need to bond.
3. Bully Breed = terrible flatulence and the uprooting/chewing of trees.
4. Compulsive digging and burying of treasure = jack russel
5. chasing/catching of birds heedless of destruction and the offering of meat = cat

And in hind sight also maybe my old Jack Russel/Chihuahua mix Scrappy was a Polymorphed Grey Render

So besides a random thought I'd share, How can I apply this to a game?

Daghoulish
2018-06-11, 07:20 PM
You could make it a paladin mount. Say that the first time they try to summon their mount that this creature shows up instead, and that their god sends a message that this mount will help them at some point. Anytime he tries to summon a mount after this they always get the same thing with it becoming more and more distressed at being away from them(maybe keep track of how long it's been since last summoned).

If no one plays a paladin you could always just have it be a random encounter. If you describe how cute it is and how like a dog it is someone is bound to try and handle animal it. After someone succeeds have it follow them and do cute things, to make them grow attached. Have it sleep next to the character and constantly purring and wanting attention. Eventually they'll find out about it's less than cute actions but by then it'll be too late, and no one would have the ability to kill the puppy. Also, make sure it acts like a puppy really play up the cuteness.

Fire Tarrasque
2018-06-11, 07:30 PM
I mean... The problem with the dang thing is it's CR 13! You can't really use it for any of that because it's so powerful!

Moredhel24
2018-06-11, 08:51 PM
You could make it a paladin mount. Say that the first time they try to summon their mount that this creature shows up instead, and that their god sends a message that this mount will help them at some point. Anytime he tries to summon a mount after this they always get the same thing with it becoming more and more distressed at being away from them(maybe keep track of how long it's been since last summoned).

If no one plays a paladin you could always just have it be a random encounter. If you describe how cute it is and how like a dog it is someone is bound to try and handle animal it. After someone succeeds have it follow them and do cute things, to make them grow attached. Have it sleep next to the character and constantly purring and wanting attention. Eventually they'll find out about it's less than cute actions but by then it'll be too late, and no one would have the ability to kill the puppy. Also, make sure it acts like a puppy really play up the cuteness.

Either idea fits my DM style of meatgrinder but weird stuff happens. Guessing mount would be from Find Greater Steed? Will give them a try when its my turn to DM.

I mean... The problem with the dang thing is it's CR 13! You can't really use it for any of that because it's so powerful!

aka DnD Marmaduke or any improperly trained large breed dog in real life.

Dr. Cliché
2018-06-12, 08:19 AM
My first thought is to have one as the pet/guard of a villain (or NPC).

They could first see it in the (extensive) grounds of the villain's mansion, castle or whatever. It's not initially aggressive and may even be curious or friendly towards them (though obviously it won't actually bond with them). It might even tag along with them if they choose to press on towards the villain's base.

Of course, when they actually encounter the villain, they'll find out that the grey render is loyal to him alone. Nevertheless, the party might still have qualms about attacking the (otherwise innocent) grey render just to get at its master.

Another possibility is that the grey render could form a bond with a child. Maybe a young girl got lost in the woods and the grey render found and protected her.

The thing is, whilst very loyal, they're not exactly obedient. And when the girl returned her pet started causing untold devastation in the town (digging up farmland, attacking carts, smashing houses whilst trying to catch birds - take your pick, really). And in spite of all the damage he's caused, the little girl still loves her friend and doesn't want to give him up (let alone allow him to be killed).

MagneticKitty
2018-06-12, 12:30 PM
If you're worried about cr have it be a young one and in your world make them age slowly.
Maybe give it lion stats (cr 1) for now.
Depending on how they treat it maybe it saves them or betrays them. Maybe it's parent comes looking for the baby and they have to fight it.

Moredhel24
2018-06-12, 06:51 PM
Another possibility is that the grey render could form a bond with a child. Maybe a young girl got lost in the woods and the grey render found and protected her.

Mordekainen mentions that the Neogi are possibly an origin for grey renders and in volo's it's stated that neogi reside in places such as the feywild. So could have adventurers set out on a quest to retrieve child that stumbled into the feywild or were stolen by fey or neogi and during the child's time there, a render bonded with it instead of a neogi and had already rescued said child before the heroes show up. envisioning something like in dragon age where you run into the mabari hound while it's being attacked by darkspawn after the events at ostagar.

If you're worried about cr have it be a young one and in your world make them age slowly.
Maybe give it lion stats (cr 1) for now.
Depending on how they treat it maybe it saves them or betrays them. Maybe it's parent comes looking for the baby and they have to fight it.

The CR doesn't bother me. I like to see how players handle situations that may be out of their league.