PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Character Idea Compilation.

Fire Tarrasque
2018-06-11, 09:23 PM
So.
I have a bunch of random character ideas or concepts, though obviously I can't play them all because I am only one Tarrasque in Fire Form. Now, I don't know if anyone else has loose ideas, but if you have any random concepts you want to throw out there, if you want to comment or expand someone else's concept, or even if you for some reason want to use one of the concepts and tell us how it's went, go for it. We're here to have fun and share random ideas we've had. Anyhow, on to my concepts. Very, very, very, bare bones concepts.
Concept one: The Historian.
An Arcane Trickster that takes Expertise in History. While Arcane Trickster is preferable because Int is important, but anything else is theoretically usable, if much less optimized. While being a Rogue, they would continue to insist that they are a HISTORIAN and not some dirty criminal. Support this by consistently throwing out random history facts. Works better in a complexly built setting. A High Elf or Forest Gnome would work best.

Concept two: The Coward.
Taking the flavor of Drunken Master in another direction, what if instead of pretending to be a drunkard, they pretended to be a cowardly, lazy person? Working best as a Halfling due to the Hobbit thing. Really play it up, and if you can, don't tell anyone what class you are. Complain about everything. "Why do you get the big sword? I want the big sword." "These rations are so bland. Why did we take them?" "All your gold pieces are bigger than mine." "What do you MEAN we're out of crumpets?" Describe things like Evasion as hiding behind the bodies of anyone who failed their saves, take the hide action, describe Flurries are getting scared and accidentally hitting the people who surprised them.

Concept three: The Cop.
This is kind of a terrible concept, but just a Ranger who's a cop or town guard. Use ranged weapons, put people under arrest, all that stuff. Kind of boring, honestly.

Concept four: The Magician.
A cantrip monkey. You've all seen cantrip monkeys, you know what they are, and they're nearly useless, but the charecter potential is FUN. For instance, present yourself as JARGANGLESON THE MIGHTY, COMMANDER OF THE ELEMENTS, THE GREAT AND POWERFUL, and then fail at anything your going to accomplish. Because your not playing the nigh godlike warper of the cosmos that normal casters are, your playing a stage magician who thinks that they are a nigh godlike warper of the cosmos. Illusion and Abjuration are probably the schools you'll want to draw from.

Concept five: The Grater.
More a mechanical concept than charecter like the previous ones, but a grappling Druid with Mobile who casts Spike Growth can just kind of... Grind their opponents face around on spikes for a good 16d4 damage or more with Monk or Barb levels. Like a cheese grater. Hence the name.

Concept six: The Sage.
A sage. Take the Sage Background. Pump Int and Wis. Use Expertise on Arcana, Religion, History, and Nature.
Know a lot of things.
It's pretty simple but could also be pretty fun. Though rather less than optimized. If you have more levels you could go Bard? Which is Charisma. If you could create your DM to allow this feat, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?561049-Strange-talent) it would be. But it's not.

Concept seven: Hortle the Tortle.

Hortle the Tortle. Yes, I was inspired by Dr. Seuss to name him that. I'm still not sure what inspired me to create this abomination of a concept.

Hortle the Tortle is a Way of the Long Death monk. Hortle the Tortle is very wise Monk who is certainly not neutral evil and why anyone would suggest that he likes to eat bunnies live is ridiculous. He also didn't take a level in Rogue so he could get expertise in Deception to stop you from knowing something that isn't true. Don't be absurd.

Anyhow, there's a bunch of concepts just tossed out there.
Anyone else got any comments or other ideas to add to the pile, like I said at the beginning? Let's see how many random ideas we can get.

ZenBear
2018-06-12, 01:17 AM
So this has become my new pet character concept, apparently. I don't have time to play so I can only fantasize.

Your cop idea doesn't have to be boring at all. I really like the idea of playing a Thief Rogue who is a lawful good cop, both for the exquisite irony and mechanical efficacy.

Race: VHuman
Class; Thief Rogue
Background: City Watch
Feat: Moderately Armored
17STR 14CON 10DEX 10INT 14WIS 10CHA
Expertise: Athletics, Acrobatics, Insight, Investigate.
From level 1 your AC will be equal to that of a DEX Rogue with your medium armor and shield. Pick up Heavily Armored at 4, fight with a rapier and shield/empty off hand for grappling. Capable of chasing down perps with impunity, grapple them to submission, and cuff them with a bonus action through Thief’s Fast Hands. Snag Shield Master for bonus action knock down/shove with your amazing Athletics, and Sentinel for extra Sneak Attack on reaction so long as you have a nearby ally or advantage.

I was inspired by a character from one of my favorite TV shows Brooklyn 99, Sgt. Terry Jeffords, also known as The Ebony Falcon! He's a total badass, and hilarious to boot! :P

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/brooklynnine-nine/images/e/ec/The_ebony_falcon.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140513112141

Magzimum
2018-06-12, 02:25 AM
This one is based on only the PHB (no additional books or extentions, no homebrew).

The Forest Gnome Enchantment Wizard Urchin
Main stats: Int, Dex.
Dump stats: Str, Con.
A sneaky stealthy enchanter who sneaks up on people and then instantly becomes friends, steals their stuff and disappears again. At a later level, this wizard may start controlling people's minds with suggestion, dominate person, etc. Instead of building the typical Arcane Trickster Rogue, this is an actual wizard who has proficiency in stealth and sleight of hand (from the Urchin background). For flavor, I would play it as a dirty little gnome, unwashed and full of twigs, leaves and dirt, but very eloquent and intelligent. Probably intelligent to a level of being a little condescending. Strength and Constitution are dump stats, because it's a tiny gnome who wants other people to do work for him. (High Con would probably help in battle, but I'd deliberately not choose it).

I see this Urchin sit under tables in pubs, messing with other people's conversations. I see it sneak up on enemies in forests and dungeons. And I see it get hurt a lot, and pass out unconscious all the time, which is probably a little problematic. :P

Legimus
2018-06-12, 12:47 PM
I keep a running list. Some of them I turn into fleshed-out characters, some of them just stay as concepts, but I know I'll never be able to play all of them.

Archfey Archer
I got this idea from the UA Moonbow invocation. A Drow who has been exiled for rejecting Lolth, after being seduced by a powerful archfey associated with the moon. PotB Warlock, Archfey patron, and use Improved Pact Weapon to make a longbow. Early on, role-play as an archer using some Drow shadow magic. Secretly, you're on a mission to exterminate your mistress's most hated foes: lycanthropes.

Bladesinging Bard
A high elf who was supposed to be trained as a bladesinger, as is family tradition, but he fell in love with music and performance. Now he combines the two! College of Swords X / Bladesinger 2. Running some numbers on it, it seems like a really fun build that can boost your armor very high. Fairly MAD, though.

Thunder Witch
A tiefling sorcerer that was thrown overboard for supposedly bringing bad luck during a monsoon. She was saved from the storm by an ocean goddess, who unlocked her latent powers in exchange for her devotion. Now she's a pirate, who worships her goddess by invoking thunder and lightning. Tempest Cleric 2 / Storm Sorcerer X. Destructive Wrath gives you a really powerful nuke.

Gentleman Debonair, Boxer Extraordinaire!
This guy was partially inspired by Alexander Armstrong from FMA. He's a charismatic, good-natured human boxer from a noble family, and he's obsessed with training his body to perfection. All of his techniques have been passed down for generations! You go Rogue 1 / Monk (Open Hand) X, and essentially re-flavor the Monk to explain away Ki. This lets you be a little bit of a skill monkey and the party face, while still being a fully viable Monk in my opinion. Take proficiencies in Athletics, Acrobatics, Intimidation, and Perception, then take the noble background for History and Persuasion. The starting stats are important, though, to give him the necessary charisma and appropriately reflect his physical prowess. I go with regular human, starting 12/16/14/9/14/14. A few ideas for re-flavoring the Monk away from Ki:

Ki: He doesn't harness "ki" but he's familiar with muscle groups and the natural flow of energy through the body.
Purity of Body: His excellent diet and training regiment keep him in perfect health!
Tongue of the Sun and Moon: His noble upbringing included an exacting linguistics education.
Timeless Body: Age is no threat to a man who has trained for it. His grandfather is 102 years old and can still trounce him!