PDA

View Full Version : The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan Reviews and Tips for Running?

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-06-11, 10:15 PM
Anyone here ever played or ran the Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan?

I DM for a group of pretty combat focused players and am worried the challenges this one pose are different, more trap based. I'm up for tips on keeping it from becoming a ten foot pole poking experience.

Thanks in advance.

Avonar
2018-06-12, 02:08 AM
I've run it twice now, I found it went pretty smoothly to be honest. The big thing with Hidden Shrine is the curses. Don't let people off easy with these, enforce them strictly. They are unlikely to have remove curse but perhaps someone might take it once they see everything fun.

One thing to mention is that some of the best rooms are behind secret doors. Maybe look at ways of making these more obvious if your group isn't the kind to percept a room. I don't like players missing out on cool stuff because they decided not to make a check in this one room.

The actual traps are hard to see, requiring a 20 Perception check. And the gas strongly discourages a group taking their time so I wouldn't worry about the 10 foot pole. If they start doing that, just make it clear that hey are progressing slowly and this could have consequences.

Baad007
2018-06-12, 12:50 PM
I've run it twice now, I found it went pretty smoothly to be honest. The big thing with Hidden Shrine is the curses. Don't let people off easy with these, enforce them strictly. They are unlikely to have remove curse but perhaps someone might take it once they see everything fun.

One thing to mention is that some of the best rooms are behind secret doors. Maybe look at ways of making these more obvious if your group isn't the kind to percept a room. I don't like players missing out on cool stuff because they decided not to make a check in this one room.

The actual traps are hard to see, requiring a 20 Perception check. And the gas strongly discourages a group taking their time so I wouldn't worry about the 10 foot pole. If they start doing that, just make it clear that hey are progressing slowly and this could have consequences.

Pretty much this. I enjoyed it.