PDA

View Full Version : The snarl's prison... a doily?

blackspeeker
2007-09-07, 09:43 PM
I dunno just something I thought about as I looked back at one of the old fan qestion things, and just thought it was intriguing, just a stupid pointle idea since, really, what would it matter if it were a doily, because according to V it was a symbol of crazy awesome secret pwer, like the crazy awesoml powerful snarl prison, any thought, debunkings, generic insults about my masculinity...

If this meaningless bit of nothing was brought up before then just let it die and me be dissappointed at my unorigionality.

mockingbyrd7
2007-09-07, 09:51 PM
Actually, I find that very intriguing! I'd never thought about connecting the two like that. I don't think the Snarl's prison nor the Snarl is a doily, however they very well may be linked in some way.

Theodoriph
2007-09-07, 11:18 PM
The snarl's current prison is a "tiny demiplane from which it [can] not free itself" as per #275.

Of course, the "gateway to ultimate cosmic power" (the doily) might play a role in V trapping the snarl for good. Who knows? :smallbiggrin:

Thanatos 51-50
2007-09-07, 11:24 PM
*le gasp* A genuienely new theory! What ar these boards coming to!
A doily trapping The Snarl would be sheer awesomesauce!

blackspeeker
2007-09-07, 11:57 PM
The snarl's current prison is a "tiny demiplane from which it [can] not free itself" as per #275.

I undersand that, I just meant it was simply a doily shaped prison, I mean how cool or at least somewhat amusing would that be, to have the Giant tie in something seemingly useless into the storyline.

And I know its crazy, a thread that has little to do with V's gender

donkyhotay
2007-09-08, 12:14 AM
an interesting idea but I personally doubt the doily will play a significant part in the story. Admittedly rich *is* known for setting up apparently inconsequential things up that way down the line become very important.

chibibar
2007-09-08, 02:52 AM
I can totally see this how it would relate. A doily is an intricate pattern and so is the Snarl's prison (the pattern of the strings) hmmmmmm...

TDG
2007-09-08, 06:50 AM
Personally, I think V will have to say "Can you un-weave this?" to a seamstress and give her the Doily. Then, V will receive ultimate cosmic power from said doily, and crush the Snarl like a puny insignificant bug.

TRM
2007-09-08, 06:58 AM
This is the most unique theory I've seen for a long time... and I think it just might happen!
Or maybe Vaarsuvius is a female and the Doily is her husband, I think he calls her 'she' at some point...

Gez
2007-09-08, 10:05 AM
generic insults about my masculinity
Yes, <generic insult about Blackspeeker's masculinity>.

It's not a bad idea to see the world as a cosmic doily, given that it was made of strings -- just like the Snarl. That said, it doesn't look like a doily, but who knows what it may look like in God-O-Vision. Maybe it's a heptodimensional doily.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-08, 11:51 AM
The world of the OotS, the prison for the Snarl, is but a doilie crafted from the threads of reality itself...

I like it.

bugsysservant
2007-09-08, 12:20 PM
I don't think Vaarsuvius will recieve her epic powers from a doily, as I believe the oracle said she will gain access to "total ultimate arcane power" by "saying the four right words to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons." Also the use of "being" instead of person might imply that she will recieve said power from the snarl itself.

Anyway, while I doubt that the Snarl's prison is a doily shaped demiplane, it is an interesting idea. Oh yeah, and your masculinity sucks.

Solo
2007-09-08, 04:16 PM
Finally, a new and refreshing hypothesis!

And it sounds good too!

the_tick_rules
2007-09-08, 08:32 PM
maybe the snarl's plane is shaped like a doily cause it is the supreme cosmic shape. it could happen.

Rakleb
2007-09-08, 08:38 PM
So a doily but the snarl they don't go together okay

Holy_Knight
2007-09-08, 08:50 PM
I can totally see this how it would relate. A doily is an intricate pattern and so is the Snarl's prison (the pattern of the strings) hmmmmmm...
Yeah, they even talked about "weaving" the strands of reality around it. Whether it turns out to be true or not, that's a cool connection. Nice insight, blackspeeker. :smallsmile:

Green Bean
2007-09-08, 09:08 PM
The world of the OotS, the prison for the Snarl, is but a doilie crafted from the threads of reality itself...

I like it.

But where, then, is the Cake of Oblivion, and the Platter of Entroy?

Thanatos 51-50
2007-09-08, 11:36 PM
Wait - the Snarl IS a doily! The seemingly random chaos of threads happening to form an intricate, deicidal doily monster!
It all makes perfect sense, now!
Or not.

FireDrake
2007-09-09, 03:00 AM
Actually now you mention it, I can't imagine the strands not forming a giant doily.

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2007-09-09, 09:52 AM
Maybe you need a doily to open one of the gates. That would give whoever has a doily and knows how to use it the ability to hold the world hostage, thus making the humble doily very powerful.

Forealms
2007-09-09, 11:45 AM
I think it will go something like this:

Setting- The final showdown between OotS (w/ Mr. Scruffy) and the Snarl.

:vaarsuvius::smalleek::smalleek:: I can't find it! I can't find it anywhere!
:roy::smallfurious:: Stop looking and get over here, NOW!!
:mitd:: Flopsy, look out behind you!
:vaarsuvius::smalleek::smallsmile:: Yes! I found it! I HAVE THE DOILY!!
:elan:: What one second. *Casting* Summon Special Effects Budget!

You can figure the rest for yourself.

blackspeeker
2007-09-09, 02:12 PM
I hadnt realized people, although very few would take to this theory, I kinda though it was a little too out there, even for oots.

dragonseth
2007-09-09, 02:39 PM
Nifty. I like this theory. I'm gonna have to propose this to all of my friends and see what they think.:smallwink:

2007-09-09, 04:10 PM
Is the planet a doily?

They wove the planet around the Snarl. The planet itself is the Snarl's prison.

Sort of like the Celestial that lives in the Marvel earth.

Haruki-kun
2007-09-09, 10:40 PM
Of course! It makes perfect sense! V's four wors are "Here is the Doily!!"

blackspeeker
2007-09-09, 11:31 PM
Of course! It makes perfect sense! V's four wors are "Here is the Doily!!"

Or at least something doily related...

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-09-10, 06:54 AM
I remember a cartoon from when I was a kid: The Dot and the Line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGh97__-uLA

YouTube has it. After watching it again, I think there IS something to this theory.

Vaarsuvious' understanding of the cosmic power of the doily is like understanding the way tumblers work in a lock.

blackspeeker
2007-09-10, 11:10 AM
I'm afraid I dont understand the correlation between the dot and the line and the doily prison, care to elaborate...

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-09-10, 12:43 PM
I'm afraid I dont understand the correlation between the dot and the line and the doily prison, care to elaborate...

Some of the detail is lost when converted to YouTube format, but look at the different geometric shapes the line forms as he learns how to present himself to the dot. Some of the designs during the last two-three minutes look like some of the geometric patterns of a doily, AND like the geometric patterns formed by the gods as they brought the final strands into place.

V's understanding of the geometry of the doily might hold the secrets to the cage holding the Snarl captive. Especially if you consider the need to repair such a geometric shape with magic.

Of course, it could just be all a goofy joke, and mean nothing...

PhallicWarrior
2007-09-11, 11:34 AM
@OP:

:haley:: That's a lot more planning than I thought this strip had.

blackspeeker
2007-09-15, 11:58 PM
@OP:

:haley:: That's a lot more planning than I thought this strip had.

Thas funny, thats what I origionally had in mind too.