PDA

View Full Version : Quaggoth vs elf war

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-06-12, 09:42 AM
I DM for a group where a couple of my players are WAY into D&D Lore. As part of our next couple sessions I would like to introduce some Quaggoths who absolutely hate the elves. What I can't find is much on the Quaggoth vs Elf wars.

How could I present this to the group? An educated elf saying, "in the time of arrival the land was occupied by Quaggoth hunters who neither sought no gave any quarter to the first elves on the material plane. Over the course of two generations of wars (elven generations) we drove the savages from the land and established the first cities and civilizations after the wars between the giants and the dragons".

Thanks for any advice. FWIW, even though the party only has one elf, I really want these Quaggoths to hate elves.

Unoriginal
2018-06-12, 11:56 AM
I don't think the Elves would claim the Quaggoth were savages. Elves drove them out, THEN they became savages.

As for the War itself, well, it was basically what you said: just the Elves showing up and the Quaggoth not liking it, so they fought.

Their civilisations being ruined and them reduced to a broken people surviving in the Underdark, along with generations of tales about how Elves are awful, are all what the Quaggoths need to really hate the Elves.

As for how to present it, well, I personally like the idea to show how pointless, glory-less and petty this war was, overall. As in, it wasn't some epic battle of good versus evil, or a grand tale of heroes versus heroes.

They were just people. People who tried to wipe each other out for little to no reason. It's like the war equivalent of two drunkards starting a knife fight in the alley behind the bar.

Fire Tarrasque
2018-06-12, 08:20 PM
Could you swap this thread over to Worldbuilding? Those are the people you want.