PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Feats for Light Cleric

WereRabbitz
2018-06-12, 10:19 AM
So i'm starting a new campaign and playing a Light Cleric (mostly to fit my background) with a Urchin background.
Street Thief Rescued by the church with Human Variant.

Wis: 16, Dex 14, Con 14, Cha 12, Str 10, Int 8
Stealth, Slight of Hand, perception, Medicine, Religion

I get a free feat at level 1 and i'm not sure what to pick. With a light build makes it complicated...

War Caster is nice but i don't expect to be in the frey much and warding flare can help those one off attacks
Elemental Adept - Maybe around level 12 this would be nice but early on doesn't give much benefit
Spell Sniper - Help increase Range, Get a extra Cantrip, and reduce coverage bonus, but not super helpful
Lucky or Skilled - These are sort of my defaults if i can't think of anything. Lucky because it's always useful, and Skilled to pick up a few more things like Acrobatics, Insight, and performance to go with my background a bit more.

Any suggestions? Any better method to fighting then just spamming Sacred Flame saving my spells for healing? (party of 5 i'll be the only healer I think).

Galactkaktus
2018-06-12, 10:26 AM
My favorite feat for casters is without a doubt Alert. Bless is better if you cast it before the ones you bless attack same goes for faerie fire and all aoe spells almost always better before the enemy moved. Another option i like when i play wisdom based characters is observant to just get a really high passive perception while still getting +1 wis from the feat.

Master O'Laughs
2018-06-12, 10:32 AM
Also, just to note, Spell Sniper is very limited for a cleric. There are not many attack roll spells for the cleric (they are mostly saves), so spell sniper would not apply to many of your spells.

Alert definitely would not be a bad choice. The main benefit for warcaster is the advantage on concentration checks. It seems like early on, Warcaster is the better choice and later on Resilient (CON) is worth picking up as well so any on going spells do not drop.

Sigreid
2018-06-12, 10:34 AM
How about tough? An extra 2 hp per level on the guy the party most needs to have on his feet at the end of a fight seems nice. If light gets heavy armor, HAM might be good for the same reason. (AFB).

MilkmanDanimal
2018-06-12, 10:36 AM
With your proficiency in Perception, taking Observant would mean you have a Passive Perception of 20 at first level, which would be very useful, to put it mildly. If you're going to largely be a healer/support character, that fits nicely.

Galactkaktus
2018-06-12, 10:42 AM
Whould you really be mainly a healer/support character with the domain spells that the light domain gives you?
Lv1 Burning hands, farie fire
Lv3 Scorching rays, Flaming sphere
Lv5 Fireball, daylight

My impression is that the light domain spells are pretty blasty.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-06-12, 10:53 AM
Whould you really be mainly a healer/support character with the domain spells that the light domain gives you?
Lv1 Burning hands, farie fire
Lv3 Scorching rays, Flaming sphere
Lv5 Fireball, daylight

My impression is that the light domain spells are pretty blasty.

They are, but, if he's the party's sole healer at level 1 as they said, those spell slots are going to be reserved for keeping people up, so you're likely forced into the healer/support role.

WereRabbitz
2018-06-12, 10:54 AM
I don't get Heavy Armor or Martial Weapons with Light:

Blast spells will normally be a last results. My character grew up as as orphan forced to rob for the owner of the orphanage to earn my bed every night. So true to my background I will try to avoid fights when I can, heal up others to fight as Plan B, and reserve things like fireball for when we are desperate.

I plan to be a Thief first & Healer Second. I may even dip into rogue later on just to round out my background. Light Domain was picked because his story revolves around him getting trapped in a cave for 3 days and being rescued by a traveling friar. His worship of the light is in part due to his fear of the darkness that he developed from being trapped.

Thanks for the advice so far!

Sigreid
2018-06-12, 11:02 AM
Observant or skulker then.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-06-12, 11:32 AM
If you're the only healer, how 'bout taking the Healer feat? At low levels it's an amazing source of healing.

Magic Initiate (Druid) has potential too; Goodberry is good solid out-of-combat healing, and even at high levels make a decent emergency stabilizer if your DM rules you can administer them to an unconscious friend. Plus you can pick up some combination of better attack cantrips (Primal Savagery and Thorn Whip are both good) and fun utility ones (Mold Earth, Shape Water, etc)

KorvinStarmast
2018-06-12, 12:20 PM
With your proficiency in Perception, taking Observant would mean you have a Passive Perception of 20 at first level, which would be very useful, to put it mildly. If you're going to largely be a healer/support character, that fits nicely. My nephew went with that on his vHuman cleric. It was wonderful to have someone in the party who noticed a lot of things.

WereRabbitz
2018-06-12, 12:52 PM
My nephew went with that on his vHuman cleric. It was wonderful to have someone in the party who noticed a lot of things.

I guess the only downside is I end up with a odd number on Wisdom of 17.

BlackRose
2018-06-12, 12:55 PM
You don't like blasting but the elemental adept feat can go a long way to making sure when you do need to blast you can do it right. A large amount of monsters have resistance to fire, your main source of blasting. Plus, mitigating low numbers is pretty nice.

By the look of your character life would be the better domain to go for if you're looking to be primarily a healer. I actually think the life domain is a lot of fun to play too. Then you can tank up for your team with warcaster/heavy armor mastery. Don't have to heal people when you're taking the damage with reductions.

If you are attached to the light cleric still then mobile might be an option for you. It let's you stay aloof of the battle but still get in to heal people when you need to. It would also make sense with your ne'er-do-well background as someone who's light on their feet constantly avoiding danger