PDA

View Full Version : How Would One Fix Blade Ward and True Strike?

Rebonack
2018-06-12, 12:54 PM
To begin, I already know that both of these cantrips have extremely niche uses. Though the vast majority of the time characters with access to these options have other options that don't consume a valuable cantrip slot, such as Dodge vs Blade Ward.

My knee-jerk reaction is to say cast as a bonus action while also using one's concentration slot. That's a pretty hefty cost to pay in terms of action economy. The biggest winners, I suspect, would be Eldritch Knight (Blade Ward kept active for not-quite-Rage damage reduction), Stop-Hitting-Yourself retribution Warlocks, and Arcane Trickster with easy access to Advantage (though frankly, they oft take Find Familiar to the same effect).

Would the requirement of consuming one's bonus action round-after-round as well as occupying the concentration slot be a sufficient cost here?

Would something else work better?

Ellisthion
2018-06-12, 01:13 PM
Doesn't really work. Some classes are suddenly crazy-strong with that. Any character who rarely needs their bonus action and doesn't need Concentration could grab a cantrip via High Elf or Magic Initiate and suddenly have a permanent buff. Fighters and Paladins could easily abuse this.

The problem with both these cantrips is, by their nature, they're either too strong or too weak. Either there's a relevant cost (eg: an action) and they're bad, or there's a circumstantially-insignificant cost (eg: bonus action, Concentration) and they're overpowered. Alternatively, they're too niche and not worth the cantrip slot.

Vogie
2018-06-12, 01:18 PM
Technically, EK can use either of them already once they have War Magic at 7, which allows them to cast a cantrip, then make a bonus action attack. This would act as either a faux-Fighting Spirit or Faux-Rage if so desired.

I would actually like True Strike as a Bonus action it to be an option for AT Rogues so they are not pigeonholed into using find familiar.

Perhaps a Brewed feat similar to Magic Initiate that gives the player the ability to use Abjuration, Illusion, and Divination cantrips as bonus actions, and allows them to learn a cantrip.

That'd give people access to

Blade Ward
Guidance
Minor Illusion
Resistance
True Strike
as bonus actions.

Tanarii
2018-06-12, 01:25 PM
For arcane casters, who have low AC, dodge is typically inferior to Blade Ward. Its a great pinch defensive cantrip.

Problem is most people arent willing to spend a cantrip on pinch defense.

Then they predictably complain when a melee bruiser gets through the line and smears them all over the walls.

Galactkaktus
2018-06-12, 01:41 PM
I think that atleast true strike is fine as a bonus action since it doesn't do anything until your next turn anyways.

Davrix
2018-06-12, 01:42 PM
I did make some magical glasses for a player that let him use True strike as a bonus action once per short rest. So i guess you could build a class around that idea maybe.

Nifft
2018-06-12, 01:45 PM
Keep them as standard Actions.

Make a melee attack as part of each cantrip.

Now they're not bad for single-attack characters (Arcane Tricksters in particular), but they're very situational for characters with Extra Attack, and they compete against Booming Blade.

Nice interaction with Warcaster, too.

Rebonack
2018-06-12, 01:46 PM
Doesn't really work. Some classes are suddenly crazy-strong with that. Any character who rarely needs their bonus action and doesn't need Concentration could grab a cantrip via High Elf or Magic Initiate and suddenly have a permanent buff. Fighters and Paladins could easily abuse this.

The problem with both these cantrips is, by their nature, they're either too strong or too weak. Either there's a relevant cost (eg: an action) and they're bad, or there's a circumstantially-insignificant cost (eg: bonus action, Concentration) and they're overpowered. Alternatively, they're too niche and not worth the cantrip slot.

I'm not sure if a bonus action can really be considered circumstantially insignificant. If we're talking optimization, since we're bringing feats like Magic Initiate into the picture, then spending a bonus action on a defensive (or offensive) buff means you aren't taking advantage of things like XBow Master, GWM, Shield Master, PAM, ect. Spending a feat to get a defensive buff strikes me as a pretty competitive choice when contrasted with spending a feat to get a bonus-action attack.

Especially when we're talking about the Arcane Trickster (or any Rogue for that matter). They already have quite a few compelling options competing for their bonus action.

nickl_2000
2018-06-12, 01:48 PM
Cantrip

Blade Ward
Until the end of your next turn, you have resistance against bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage dealt by weapon attacks.

Level 5 Any damage resisted this way is reflected back on the attacker, Level 11 you reflect resisted damage + caster mod, level 16 you reflect 2x resisted damage + caster mod.

True Strike
On your next turn, you gain advantage on your first attack roll against a target you choose, provided that this spell hasn't ended.

The amount of attacks and rounds of duration of the spell increases by 1 to 2 attacks at level 5, 3 at level 11, and 4 at level 16.

How about that? Does that work, or is that overpowered?

Tanngrisnr
2018-06-12, 02:03 PM
I was once homebrewing an Oath of Arcana paladin that made heavy use of both Blade Ward and True Strike.

At 3rd level the Oath would give access to both cantrips, along with the expanded spell list. Then, at level 7th, I had the paladin be allowed to cast one of these cantrips as part of the Attack action, the effects of the cantrip would also affect allies within 10ft., 30ft at 18th level. This would be their aura benefit.

In theory, this would allow the paladin to spend one of his attacks to give himself (and his allies within the aura) a better chance to hit with their next attack or better survivability for one round.

Spiritchaser
2018-06-12, 02:26 PM
True strike

Concentration up to 5 rounds

... On your next turn you gain advantage on your first attack roll against that target. If the attack is successful, you gain advantage on the next attack you make against that target. This can continue a number of times equal to your casting modifier, or until you miss, or you spend a round without attacking or until concentration ends.

Ok, probably OP, but maybe worth thinking about.

Vogie
2018-06-12, 02:34 PM
True strike could be changed to a ranged Help action, a la Master of Tactics

Something like "On your next turn, the first attack roll against a target you choose has advantage if the attacker can see it, provided that this spell hasn't ended. When you cast this spell, you may designate a creature other than yourself that can gain the advantage".

Blade Ward
Until the end of your next turn, you have resistance against bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage dealt by weapon attacks.

Level 5 Any damage resisted this way is reflected back on the attacker, Level 11 you reflect resisted damage + caster mod, level 16 you reflect 2x resisted damage + caster mod.

True Strike
On your next turn, you gain advantage on your first attack roll against a target you choose, provided that this spell hasn't ended.

The amount of attacks and rounds of duration of the spell increases by 1 to 2 attacks at level 5, 3 at level 11, and 4 at level 16.

I actually like these. The introduction of leveled cantrips could make this certainly work

Rebonack
2018-06-12, 02:48 PM
Hmm. The cantrip scaling Blade Ward gave me an idea.

Ward: Bonus action casting time, uses concentration, duration one round. You gain Resistance to one damage type of your choice until the beginning of your next turn. At level 5 you may choose two damage types, at level 11 three, at level 17 four.

Not as all-encompassing as the alternative. Certainly a neat feature. Maybe give it a range of Touch in case you want to buff a buddy?

Galactkaktus
2018-06-12, 02:56 PM

Ward: Bonus action casting time, uses concentration, duration one round. You gain Resistance to one damage type of your choice until the beginning of your next turn. At level 5 you may choose two damage types, at level 11 three, at level 17 four.

Not as all-encompassing as the alternative. Certainly a neat feature. Maybe give it a range of Touch in case you want to buff a buddy?

I whould be careful of making blade ward a bonus action casting. True strikes effect is atleast abit staggered it doesn't do anything until your next turn. And resistance is really powerful one of the main thing that makes barbarian so good is their resistances while raging.

Petrocorus
2018-06-12, 03:06 PM
For arcane casters, who have low AC, dodge is typically inferior to Blade Ward. Its a great pinch defensive cantrip.

Problem is most people arent willing to spend a cantrip on pinch defense.

Then they predictably complain when a melee bruiser gets through the line and smears them all over the walls.

The issue for me is that it cost your action to gain resistance to weapon damage, but in most situations you can use your action to disengage, or dodge, or cast Misty Step, or Mirror Image or something else that let you avoid ALL weapon damage.

Blade Ward is good only in the situations where you cannot efficiently do any of this stuff, which are not that common.

krugaan
2018-06-12, 03:13 PM
Honestly, making blade ward a bonus action is just way too strong. Too many classes, squishy casters in particular, have a real lack of useful bonus actions, so blade ward would be an instapick for all of them.

If you wanted it to scale, you could do something like:

at 5th, in addition, gain +1 ac as well
at 11th, an additional +1, at 17th, etc.

Truestrike, I don't know how to fix that mess. Probably make it like a booming blade replacement, as other people have suggested, give it a semi-scaling melee attack as part of the casting, but have the advantage offset to the next turn?

Segev
2018-06-12, 03:14 PM
Consider that blade ward is accessible by Sorcerers. By third level, they CAN spend 1 SP to make it a bonus action to cast.

True strike, in 3e, was always a little too weak even with a +20 insight bonus to hit. It's a little better as a cantrip, as it at least doesn't consume a spell slot, but reducing it to merely advantage (when advantage is not all that hard to get with other, more versatile, less action-consuming means) makes it again fairly weak.

Maybe if true strike scaled with level the way other cantrips do, and at the same levels other cantrips get bonus dice, it also got bonus dice that essentially made it super-advantage. "At fifth level, when you make the attack with advantage granted by this spell, you may roll one more d20, taking the highest of the three dice rolled." Etc. 4 dice total at 11th, and 5 dice total at 17th. Still counts as Advantage, still take the highest.

Then maybe give blade ward a duration of +1 round per "advancement." So at 5th level, it lasts for 2 rounds. 3 rounds at 11th level, and 4 rounds at 17th level. Now, after a certain point, it protects you while you perform other actions.

Galactkaktus
2018-06-12, 03:28 PM
Honestly, making blade ward a bonus action is just way too strong. Too many classes, squishy casters in particular, have a real lack of useful bonus actions, so blade ward would be an instapick for all of them.

I whould hate to use blade ward as a caster since that removes my capability to cast spells that isn't cantrips with a casting time of 1 action for that turn. That being said i whould still probably take blade ward as one of my cantrips and just be sad when i had to use it.

I see the real problem being something like a gwm paladin taking it through something like high elf or magic initiate.

Talionis
2018-06-12, 03:38 PM
This probably should scare you. I totally agree that many characters would happily sacrifice there Bonus Action for Resistance to weapon damage. By making either of these spells better you are in danger of making either too good. I think its okay to have bad spells in the game that only have niche uses.

If I was going to look at it. I think you would be best served to look at the other scaling cantrips, but again in this edition built on small bonuses, these spells have the ability to be very overpowered if they become always on abilities. Maybe at high level play this issue wouldn't be as bad... I'd still be really reluctant.

Maybe the best answer is that if you want to use these spells to be better they would have to be higher level spells.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-06-12, 03:42 PM
I kind of like Nfft's idea of pairing the cantrips with other actions. What if True Strike was "make a weapon attack with a +1d4 bonus to hit" (possibly with a damage boost at level 5/11/17) and Blade Ward was "take a Dodge action; if you get hit anyway, you take half damage?"

Alternately, one could turn them into bonus actions with smaller benefits-- True Strike as "+1d4 to hit" and Blade Ward as "reduce attack damage by 1d4" or something to that effect.

krugaan
2018-06-12, 03:42 PM
I whould hate to use blade ward as a caster since that removes my capability to cast spells that isn't cantrips with a casting time of 1 action for that turn. That being said i whould still probably take blade ward as one of my cantrips and just be sad when i had to use it.

Wait, is that how it works? I was under the assumption that if you cast two spells in a turn, one has to be a cantrip, but I might be wrong.

Consider that blade ward is accessible by Sorcerers. By third level, they CAN spend 1 SP to make it a bonus action to cast.

Yeah, it but it *is* a resource cost, no matter how tiny.

Then maybe give blade ward a duration of +1 round per "advancement." So at 5th level, it lasts for 2 rounds. 3 rounds at 11th level, and 4 rounds at 17th level. Now, after a certain point, it protects you while you perform other actions.

That's a neat idea, but then it seems like every fight is going to start with bladeward. Unless bladeward is concentration? Regardless, seems strong with any melee class, especially EKs and the like.

Galactkaktus
2018-06-12, 03:47 PM
Wait, is that how it works? I was under the assumption that if you cast two spells in a turn, one has to be a cantrip, but I might be wrong.

If you cast a spell as a bonus action you can't cast any other spells during that turn except for cantrips with a casting time of 1 action. Page 202 in the phb

Vogie
2018-06-12, 03:49 PM
Maybe the best answer is that if you want to use these spells to be better they would have to be higher level spells.

That's actually not a terrible idea.

Something like

True Strike
At Higher Levels: At level 11, you gain the ability to cast this as a 2nd level spell. If you do, double the duration, and the spell doesn't require concentration

That way it is available to everyone but cannot be cheesed by someone picking it up with Magic Initiate.

Would still suck for Warlocks, though

krugaan
2018-06-12, 03:52 PM
If you cast a spell as a bonus action you can't cast any other spells during that turn except for cantrips with a casting time of 1 action. Page 202 in the phb

Well, that does dampen it a bit, but in my limited experience, a lot of caster time is spent poking with cantrips, so I think the point is still valid.

Galactkaktus
2018-06-12, 04:00 PM
Well, that does dampen it a bit, but in my limited experience, a lot of caster time is spent poking with cantrips, so I think the point is still valid.

I'd probably rather misty step away and get some distance and then poke with a cantrip in most cases since if i blade ward in order to take the assault i'd still be in a really bad spot during the next turn. I whould still take it as one of my choices but it whould almost never be a very good move you do it out of necesity and not because it's good.

Nifft
2018-06-12, 04:13 PM
I kind of like Nfft's idea of pairing the cantrips with other actions. What if True Strike was "make a weapon attack with a +1d4 bonus to hit" (possibly with a damage boost at level 5/11/17) and Blade Ward was "take a Dodge action; if you get hit anyway, you take half damage?"

Alternately, one could turn them into bonus actions with smaller benefits-- True Strike as "+1d4 to hit" and Blade Ward as "reduce attack damage by 1d4" or something to that effect.

Incorporating Dodge seems like a really good idea, but I'm not sure how that would work and still be competitive for Arcane Tricksters. Maybe that would be a separate cantrip, which gives mobility options? Inferior to Misty Step, but improving with level somehow... hmm.

-- -- --

True Strike
Divination cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Melee
Components: S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 round

As part of this cantrip, make a melee weapon attack at one target within range. This attack is a divining strike. Hit or miss, your magic grants you a brief insight into the target’s defenses. On your next turn, you gain advantage on your first attack roll against the target, provided that this spell hasn’t ended. This attack is the true strike.

If you are at least 5th level, your divining strike can't have disadvantage.

If you are at least 11th level, you can pick an ally within 30 ft. who also gains advantage on her next attack roll against the same target.

If you are at least 17th level, your true strike's attack roll is increased by +1d4 as if you were under the effect of Bless, and this benefit also applies to your chosen ally (if any).

Blade Ward
Abjuration cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Melee
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 round

As part of this cantrip, make a melee weapon attack at one target within range. This is a warding attack. Hit or miss, your weapon defends against incoming attacks. Pick one damage type: bludgeoning, piercing, slashing, fire, cold. You gain resistance to the chosen damage type until the start of your next turn.

If you are at least 5th level, pick two damage types instead. Additionally, your warding attack counts as magic.

If you are at least 11th level, one ally of your choice you can see within 30 ft. also gains resistance to the two chosen damage types.

If you are at least 17th level, your warding attack is made with advantage.

fbelanger
2018-06-12, 04:21 PM
True strike can be made for weapon attack.
Pretty much like booming blade.
Casting one action.
The cantrip allow you to make one attack with advantage.
Befrore level 5 you don’t add your ability modifier to the damage roll.
After level 5, as others cantrip you add extra damage.
For this attack your weapon is magical.

I see blade ward more as a reaction.
Either:
+2 ac, act as a lesser shield.
3 less damage on a hitting attack. It is not a lot, but on a complete day it can worth enough.

sophontteks
2018-06-12, 04:45 PM
True strike would be a great non-combat cantrip if they increased the range to visual range. That one change would open up all sorts of fun hat tricks.

Blade ward. How about its a bonus action but your action can only be used to disengage or dodge.

MaxWilson
2018-06-12, 04:50 PM
True strike would be a great non-combat cantrip if they increased the range to visual range. That one change would open up all sorts of fun hat tricks.

Offer your players their pick of any one of the following:

(1) Increase range to visual range
(2) Change action to bonus action
(3) Allow it to work on the same turn it's cast instead of only next turn
(4) Remove concentration requirement
(5) Allow it to work on all attacks against the chosen target next turn instead of only the first attack
(6) Remove the requirement to pre-choose the target this turn. Works on the first attack you make next turn, if the target is within 30'.

The problem with True Strike today is that it has soooo many restrictions, but if you remove even just one of the restrictions the spell becomes pretty interesting. Might as well let each player choose which restriction to remove.

sophontteks
2018-06-12, 04:54 PM
Offer your players their pick of any one of the following:

(1) Increase range to visual range
(2) Change action to bonus action
(3) Allow it to work on the same turn it's cast instead of only next turn
(4) Remove concentration requirement
(5) Allow it to work on all attacks against the chosen target next turn instead of only the first attack
(6) Remove the requirement to pre-choose the target this turn. Works on the first attack you make next turn, if the target is within 30'.

The problem with True Strike today is that it has soooo many restrictions, but if you remove even just one of the restrictions the spell becomes pretty interesting. Might as well let each player choose which restriction to remove.
I'm fine with these but 2 and 5 I wouldn't allow. I'm 100% for giving a cantrip more use as flavor or a show of skill, but far less inclined to hand out big mechanical benefits.

MaxWilson
2018-06-12, 05:08 PM
I'm fine with these but 2 and 5 I wouldn't allow. I'm 100% for giving a cantrip more use as flavor or a show of skill, but far less inclined to hand out big mechanical benefits.

Even with my powergamer's hat on it's hard for me to get excited about the potential of e.g. #2: bonus action spell which allows you to get advantage on your first attack next turn (only!) against a target within 30' which you pre-choose this turn and concentrate on until next turn. Most serious combatants will already be fully-exploiting their bonus action and concentration economies, so while you might see e.g. a High Elven Samurai who casts True Strike on melee-range threats (because why not? even if it winds up wasted because someone else kills the target, it still didn't really cost you anything), or maybe a Warlock who uses True Strike + Eldritch Blast when he's out of spell slots, you won't see any Crossbow Expert Sharpshooter Battlemasters casting True Strike, nor will you see Warlocks combining Hex + Eldritch Blast + True Strike.

There's just enough synergy to make the spell worth the bother to learn/cast, but not enough synergy to make it competitive with any of the current best options. So it winds up being mostly a flavor thing that lets e.g. High Elven Samurais and Cavaliers have a shtick that is different from but not better than Half-orc Barbarians and Champions.

I suppose I can see ways for #5 to be abused, if you combine it with Quicken Spell metamagic. You could drop that one from the list, or tweak it per earlier suggestions s.t. the spell ends as soon as you miss on an attack, which makes it less abusable for Fighter/Sorcerer Elven Accuracy + Sharpshooter scenarios. I'm not sure it's actually strong enough to count as "abuse" in that case (it's not like a Sorcerer couldn't just concentrate on Greater Invisibility instead, which is much better) but I can see why a DM might hesitate.

sophontteks
2018-06-12, 05:14 PM
Even with my powergamer's hat on it's hard for me to get excited about the potential of e.g. #2: bonus action spell which allows you to get advantage on your first attack next turn (only!) against a target within 30' which you pre-choose this turn and concentrate on until next turn. Most serious combatants will already be fully-exploiting their bonus action and concentration economies, so while you might see e.g. a High Elven Samurai who casts True Strike on melee-range threats (because why not? even if it winds up wasted because someone else kills the target, it still didn't really cost you anything), or maybe a Warlock who uses True Strike + Eldritch Blast when he's out of spell slots, you won't see any Crossbow Expert Sharpshooter Battlemasters casting True Strike, nor will you see Warlocks combining Hex + Eldritch Blast + True Strike.

There's just enough synergy to make the spell worth the bother to learn/cast, but not enough synergy to make it competitive with any of the current best options. So it winds up being mostly a flavor thing that lets e.g. High Elven Samurais and Cavaliers have a shtick that is different from but not better than Half-orc Barbarians and Champions.
Its not a flavor thing. Bonus action true strike would be insane on a rogue. It'd be very strong on paladins, rangers, and fighters too. Advantage is not trivial, and this makes it trivial, at will.

You can downplay the impact an at-will advantage gives, but I would never give that power to a player.

MaxWilson
2018-06-12, 05:24 PM
Its not a flavor thing. Bonus action true strike would be insane on a rogue.

Rogues got better things to do with their bonus actions than get killed.

(Apologies to John Carpenter.)

But seriously, a Rogue who is spending his bonus action and his concentration on True Strike is (1) not doing sneak attack damage on round 1, because he doesn't have advantage yet, and not on any other round either where his chosen target has already been killed by someone else before he gets to them; (2) doing less damage than an Arcane Trickster w/ two-weapon fighting being Helped by his Owl familiar; (3) doing less damage than a Swashbuckler using Booming Blade. It's not particularly powerful by Rogue standards.

It'd be very strong on paladins, rangers, and fighters too. Advantage is not trivial, and this makes it trivial, at will.

Paladins would like to be concentrating on Wrathful Smite or Shield of Faith or Magic Weapon; Rangers would like to be concentrating on Conjure Animals or Spike Growth or Entangling Arrow. Even a totally nonmagical fighter still has other uses for his bonus action (e.g. GWM PM shove + multiattack--and an extra attack is better than advantage on another attack because you can potentially hit with both).

Bonus Action True Strike is not laughably weak, which is kind of the point (since Action True Strike is laughably weak, given all its other restrictions). But it isn't unusually strong either.

Ganymede
2018-06-12, 05:37 PM
You could dramatically improve the value of these cantrips if you gave them a 30' range and allowed them to be cast on targets other than yourself.

In addition, clean up Blade Ward's language so it works against all B/S/P damage.

Specter
2018-06-12, 06:08 PM
Blade Ward doesn't need fixing, IMO. It's niche, but on those niche situations, like disarming a trap, it's worth it.

As for True Strike, you can let it give a +10 bonus to your next attack, without concentration. That way, it stacks with advantage, and you don't have to wait until next turn.

MaxWilson
2018-06-12, 06:14 PM
Blade Ward doesn't need fixing, IMO. It's niche, but on those niche situations, like disarming a trap, it's worth it.

Agreed. I often take Blade Ward. There are a lot of situations where it's better than Dodge: when you're grappled, when an enemy has advantage already, when you've got Armor of Agathys up, when the enemy is invisible, etc.

Cybren
2018-06-12, 06:17 PM
Agreed. I often take Blade Ward. There are a lot of situations where it's better than Dodge: when you're grappled, when an enemy has advantage already, when you've got Armor of Agathys up, when the enemy is invisible, etc.

And if you're a monk you can dodge AND bladeward!

CTurbo
2018-06-12, 06:37 PM
I like the idea of having them scale +1 round at levels 5, 11, and 17 as mentioned above.

I just don't see ever taking either of them as is.

Nifft
2018-06-12, 06:40 PM

I dunno. It seems like Blade Ward was intended to be used in combat.

If you're getting mostly non-combat value from it, that seems like a point in favor of needing to re-design the spell.

(And you should have some other tool available to get the same non-combat value -- it's good to be a trap-springer who has confidence in avoiding damage!)

Galactkaktus
2018-06-12, 07:59 PM
You can downplay the impact an at-will advantage gives, but I would never give that power to a player.

It isn't at will If you use true strike on a target you can't use it until your next turn and only if you choose to attack the same thing alot can happen in one round of combat.

Rebonack
2018-06-12, 11:38 PM
I whould be careful of making blade ward a bonus action casting. True strikes effect is atleast abit staggered it doesn't do anything until your next turn. And resistance is really powerful one of the main thing that makes barbarian so good is their resistances while raging.

Right, though they get resistance to three damage types (way more with Bear) and they don't have to roll a Con save every time they take a hit to make sure they don't lose their resistance. Still, it would be pretty potent effect to have. Quite competitive with HAM and the pile of weapon mastery feats.

Another idea would be to make the Bonus Action Blade Ward only blunt the next attack that hits you. Maybe have the number of attacks blocked scale with character level. Dunno, still just fielding ideas.

Galactkaktus
2018-06-12, 11:47 PM
Right, though they get resistance to three damage types (way more with Bear) and they don't have to roll a Con save every time they take a hit to make sure they don't lose their resistance. Still, it would be pretty potent effect to have. Quite competitive with HAM and the pile of weapon mastery feats.

Another idea would be to make the Bonus Action Blade Ward only blunt the next attack that hits you. Maybe have the number of attacks blocked scale with character level. Dunno, still just fielding ideas.

One thing to put it in perspective the closest spell i can think of to blade ward is stoneskin. That is a 4th level spell that only work on non magical BPS. I really think it's hard to make blade ward good without making it too good. I think you whould have to give up on making it give you resistances and instead generate a few temp hit points or something simular instead.

MaxWilson
2018-06-13, 12:01 AM
One thing to put it in perspective the closest spell i can think of to blade ward is stoneskin. That is a 4th level spell that only work on non magical BPS. I really think it's hard to make blade ward good without making it too good. I think you whould have to give up on making it give you resistances and instead generate a few temp hit points or something simular instead.

Blade Ward is already good enough in many cases. If you're a squishy wizard who's been restrained by a Giant Constrictor Snake? Blade Ward until the rest of the party can kill it. Cornered by a T-Rex? Again, Blade Ward to eke out your HP. Dodging won't help much against something with a high to-hit, like an ancient dragon or a Pit Fiend, so Blade Ward is sometimes a superior defensive option. Dodge only works against things that you can see, so if you're in an area of heavy obscurement (like fog or darkness), Blade Ward is your only no-cost defensive option. Dodging doesn't work when your move is zero either, so it's relatively easy to negate.

It's easy to think of scenarios where vanilla Blade Ward is useful. But it's nigh-impossible to think of scenarios where True Strike is useful. The only one that comes to mind if "you're a high-level High-Elf cleric in a solo fight against something with weak Charisma saves. You have only one 7th level spell slot left for Plane Shift and you dare not waste it. Luckily your High Elf cantrip is True Strike. You cast True Strike this round, cross your fingers and hope you can keep concentration this round, and prepare to cast Plane Shift next round." If it weren't a solo fight, True Strike would be as pointless as it usually is, because you could just ask for Help from another PC, but in a solo fight Help isn't an option.

That is honestly the only scenario I can think of where True Strike is useful: solo fights exploiting expensive spells gated on an attack roll (and Plane Shift is the only one that comes to mind).

Malifice
2018-06-13, 12:26 AM
Blade ward is bloody fantastic as is.

I get a ton of mileage out of it on my Hexblade/ Sorcerer combined with Quicken Spell and Armor of Agathys.

Step 1 - cast AoA (use RotPK to recover slot).
Step 2 - enter dungeon.

When combat starts quicken Blade ward and full attack. The resistance lasts till the end of your next turn.

It doubles the Temp HP of AoA and it doubles the expected damage output of AoA. It's actually even better than that seeing as many monsters simply wont attack you at all (because they tend to get messed up if they do).

Im looking forward to layering AoA with Shadows of Moil and [quickened] Bladeward.

Ganymede
2018-06-13, 12:54 AM
I'm really not sure you can call a spell "bloody fantastic" when it requires an optional rule to create an esoteric combination between different spells and class features in order to pull out its potential.

Malifice
2018-06-13, 01:33 AM
I'm really not sure you can call a spell "bloody fantastic" when it requires an optional rule to create an esoteric combination between different spells and class features in order to pull out its potential.

What optional rule are you referring to?

Its also great on Liches by the way. The can cast cantrips as legendary actions (its a no-brainer of a spell to swap in for them).

Ellisthion
2018-06-13, 01:36 AM
Blade ward is bloody fantastic as is.

I get a ton of mileage out of it on my Hexblade/ Sorcerer combined with Quicken Spell and Armor of Agathys.

That's the problem though. Either you can cast it as a bonus action and it's amazing, or you can't and it sucks.

Malifice
2018-06-13, 01:52 AM
That's the problem though. Either you can cast it as a bonus action and it's amazing, or you can't and it sucks.

It doesnt suck in conjuction with a few abilities or spells (Armor of Agathys is one). Resistance to B, P and S till the end of your next turn isnt bad for an at will ability (cantrip) from 1st level.

Tanking EK's get some use out of it, it pairs well with AoA (with or without the ability to cast it as a bonus action), it pairs will wil Action surge and bonus actions (with or without the above), Liches get great use out of it, its often a better choice than Dodge, and there are a few more corner cases where it changes from situationally OK, to quite potent.

We're discussing a cantrip here remember.

OvisCaedo
2018-06-13, 01:55 AM
What optional rule are you referring to?

Its also great on Liches by the way. The can cast cantrips as legendary actions (its a no-brainer of a spell to swap in for them).

As ubiquitous as it is, multiclassing is technically an optional rule. Though technically, the beta-tested giant sorceror from the recent UA has the option of getting armor of agathys without multiclassing. It might end up annoying to try to melee build with that, though, since the subclass tries to have a bunch of con-tied features, melee would still require str or dex, and it's still a fundamentally cha-based class.

Malifice
2018-06-13, 02:12 AM
As ubiquitous as it is, multiclassing is technically an optional rule. Though technically, the beta-tested giant sorceror from the recent UA has the option of getting armor of agathys without multiclassing. It might end up annoying to try to melee build with that, though, since the subclass tries to have a bunch of con-tied features, melee would still require str or dex, and it's still a fundamentally cha-based class.

Blade ward is a Warlock cantrip is it not?

Armor of Agathys appears on the Warlock list as well.

Although there is no quicken spell as a straight lock.

Warlock 9 casts Armor of Agathys before combat (25 Temp HP) and then spams Blade ward during it. Every time he takes B, P, S damage till the end of his next turn he halves it, takes it off his Temp HP, and deals 25 points of damage in return.

It might be enough of a detterent in many not so niche circumstances.

Backlash3906
2018-06-13, 06:54 AM
True Strike

Divination cantrip
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Duration: 1 round
Range: 30 feet
Until the end of your turn, you gain advantage on attack rolls. You may not benefit from the Extra Attack class feature or cast a spell during this turn.

Zejety
2018-06-13, 07:02 AM
I wonder if True Strike wouldn't be fine as is if it was simply a "take aim" combat option available to every character. The way it is, it does have its uses (cast to make a powerful attack more likely to hit, precast for an ambush), but the opportunity cost of missing out on another feat is too high.
Though this risks making surprise attacks even more overwhelming.

UrielAwakened
2018-06-13, 07:35 AM
Blade Ward as a reaction makes it compete with Shield but at least you could use it when you know you've been hit.

True Strike needs to just not take concentration.

Blade ward is a Warlock cantrip is it not?

Armor of Agathys appears on the Warlock list as well.

Although there is no quicken spell as a straight lock.

Warlock 9 casts Armor of Agathys before combat (25 Temp HP) and then spams Blade ward during it. Every time he takes B, P, S damage till the end of his next turn he halves it, takes it off his Temp HP, and deals 25 points of damage in return.

It might be enough of a detterent in many not so niche circumstances.

I'm actually playing this character now except I'm also a Wizard Abjurerer so my ward blocks the AoA temp from reducing. It's pretty fun as a go-to option. But you do start to miss having your action to do other things.

Sindeloke
2018-06-13, 08:17 AM
True strike, in 3e, was always a little too weak even with a +20 insight bonus to hit. It's a little better as a cantrip, as it at least doesn't consume a spell slot, but reducing it to merely advantage (when advantage is not all that hard to get with other, more versatile, less action-consuming means) makes it again fairly weak.

Maybe if true strike scaled with level the way other cantrips do, and at the same levels other cantrips get bonus dice, it also got bonus dice that essentially made it super-advantage. "At fifth level, when you make the attack with advantage granted by this spell, you may roll one more d20, taking the highest of the three dice rolled." Etc. 4 dice total at 11th, and 5 dice total at 17th. Still counts as Advantage, still take the highest.

As for True Strike, you can let it give a +10 bonus to your next attack, without concentration. That way, it stacks with advantage, and you don't have to wait until next turn.

These chaps are on the right track. The purpose true strike seems intended to serve is "I have a powerful attack I want to use next turn, and it's important enough that it land that it's worth spending my action this turn." You're turning a good action into a better action by increasing the time it takes to make that action. This is conceivably worth it if the second action is a powerful spell and the buff is basically an auto-hit the way it was in previous editions.

Thus: 1 action casting time, no concentration; the next weapon or spell attack you make before the end of your next turn adds 5/10/15/20 to your attack roll. Not terribly useful for EKs, but a booming blade rogue or a ray-happy sorceror can get decent mileage out of it, a clever control caster can probably find at least one concentration spell that makes it worthwhile, and it scales in a way that keeps the opportunity cost of not casting an actual leveled spell that turn somewhat equal to the benefit, at least.

PhantomSoul
2018-06-13, 08:24 AM
Thus: 1 action casting time, no concentration; the next weapon or spell attack you make before the end of your next turn adds 5/10/15/20 to your attack roll. Not terribly useful for EKs, but a booming blade rogue or a ray-happy sorceror can get decent mileage out of it, a clever control caster can probably find at least one concentration spell that makes it worthwhile, and it scales in a way that keeps the opportunity cost of not casting an actual leveled spell that turn somewhat equal to the benefit, at least.

I'd be tempted to do something more "cantrip-y" if going that route:

You extend your hand and point a finger at a target in
range. Your magic grants you a brief insight into the
target’s defenses. Your next attack roll against the target
before the end of your next turn gains an additional 1d6.

This bonus increases by 1d6 when you reach
5th level (2d6), 11th level (3d6), and 17th level (4d6).

A bless-style 1d4 would work too and matches other cantrips, but you essentially just pick what average you want (and the maximum). A straight 5-20 seems like it's probably a bit much given bounded accuracy!

Tanarii
2018-06-13, 10:05 AM
These chaps are on the right track. The purpose true strike seems intended to serve is "I have a powerful attack I want to use next turn, and it's important enough that it land that it's worth spending my action this turn." You're turning a good action into a better action by increasing the time it takes to make that action.I've had a few players who have taken the True Strike cantrip, despite the internet telling them not to. The most common way for them to use it is when they can't move all the way up to a target to make a melee attack, and their melee attack is more powerful than their thrown weapon attack. In this regard, despite being on the Wizard/Sorc spell lists, it's almost always EKs or ATs that take it from those lists. The occasional Valor Bard or Bladelock too. Note these are almost always players that have chosen to go with high physical attack stats and low casting stats, so a ranged attack cantrip isn't a particularly viable choice.

Edit: I've been interested in trying to find a way to make this a useful cantrip for actual casters for a while. About the only way for caster-types to use it and come out ahead is in conjunction with an upcast Chromatic Orb on the second round.

Rebonack
2018-06-13, 11:38 AM
Blade Ward is already good enough in many cases. If you're a squishy wizard who's been restrained by a Giant Constrictor Snake? Blade Ward until the rest of the party can kill it. Cornered by a T-Rex? Again, Blade Ward to eke out your HP. Dodging won't help much against something with a high to-hit, like an ancient dragon or a Pit Fiend, so Blade Ward is sometimes a superior defensive option. Dodge only works against things that you can see, so if you're in an area of heavy obscurement (like fog or darkness), Blade Ward is your only no-cost defensive option. Dodging doesn't work when your move is zero either, so it's relatively easy to negate.

Blade Ward wouldn't be useful in most of the situations you list here. It only reduces BPS damage dealt by (manufactured) weapons. A giant constrictor snake or a t-rex would totally bypass the resistance it grants, since they use natural weapons. If you have a Frost Giant up in your face, then Blade Ward becomes a viable choice since the guy is probably going to hit you whether you use Dodge or not. Basically, Blade Ward is better than Dodge in situations where the target is using a weapon attack against you AND they have better than a 50% chance of hitting you. Otherwise Dodge is superior.

Dodge also doesn't require you to spend any character-creation resources since everyone has access to it. If we're using Feats and Races as the yardstick, a cantrip is worth about as much as a skill proficiency. That's small, but still non-trivial. Given that you're paying an opportunity cost to get a new defensive option, it seems to me that defensive option should probably be a bit better than the default defensive option in most situations rather than a fairly small subset of situations.

It's easy to think of scenarios where vanilla Blade Ward is useful. But it's nigh-impossible to think of scenarios where True Strike is useful. The only one that comes to mind if "you're a high-level High-Elf cleric in a solo fight against something with weak Charisma saves. You have only one 7th level spell slot left for Plane Shift and you dare not waste it. Luckily your High Elf cantrip is True Strike. You cast True Strike this round, cross your fingers and hope you can keep concentration this round, and prepare to cast Plane Shift next round." If it weren't a solo fight, True Strike would be as pointless as it usually is, because you could just ask for Help from another PC, but in a solo fight Help isn't an option.

That is honestly the only scenario I can think of where True Strike is useful: solo fights exploiting expensive spells gated on an attack roll (and Plane Shift is the only one that comes to mind).

And I would agree here. The range of situations where True Strike is going to be a good use of action economy is even more limited than the angry giant scenario that makes Blade Ward potentially a good choice to use.

PhantomSoul
2018-06-13, 11:45 AM
Blade Ward wouldn't be useful in most of the situations you list here. It only reduces BPS damage dealt by (manufactured) weapons. A giant constrictor snake or a t-rex would totally bypass the resistance it grants, since they use natural weapons. If you have a Frost Giant up in your face, then Blade Ward becomes a viable choice since the guy is probably going to hit you whether you use Dodge or not. Basically, Blade Ward is better than Dodge in situations where the target is using a weapon attack against you AND they have better than a 50% chance of hitting you. Otherwise Dodge is superior.

It looks like there might be some confusion here; a bite, for example, is still a melee weapon attack and a weapon attack, which is all that Blade Ward requires. (Confusingly, "attack with a (melee) weapon" and "(melee) weapon attack" aren't equivalent. Blade Ward is effectively just restricting the resistance to not apply to spell attacks, without excluding attacks made by magical weapons.)

MaxWilson
2018-06-13, 12:04 PM
I'm actually playing this character now except I'm also a Wizard Abjurerer so my ward blocks the AoA temp from reducing. It's pretty fun as a go-to option. But you do start to miss having your action to do other things.

Agreeing and expanding:

Other variations include Armor of Agathys + Stoneskin, Heavy Armor Master, Battlemaster Parry dice, and/or relying on other party members (Cavalier can give you damage resistance, Oath of Crown Paladins and Ancestor Barbarians and Lore Bards can directly reduce damage).

Incidentally, Wizard/Abjuror can benefit a lot from Contingency: Armor of Agathys. Key it to either a condition such as being heavily wounded, or to a "free" action like speaking a certain command word ("radishbumpers!") so you can trigger it on the same turn you cast another spell.

Assuming your interpretation of "weapon" for the sake of argument, there are still a number of situations that render Dodge ineffective. Dodge only works against targets that you can see, and you lose the benefit if your speed drops to 0. If you start relying on Dodge a lot (e.g. because you're a Sentinel tank and Dodging is your normal mode of combat engagement) you'll quickly find that there are a surprisingly large range of situations where dodging doesn't work. Lots of monsters grapple and/or restrain you, others are invisible, and others just happen to be fought in situations where (due to e.g. fog clouds or darkness) neither of you can see the other.

I think your definition of "weapon attack" is a little bit controversial, given how the MM labels most monster attacks as "melee weapon attack" despite not involving manufactured weapons. But it's not totally unreasonable and it wouldn't cause me to quit a DM's table if he used your ruling. I'd still probably consider taking Blade Ward, but not as strongly.

Dodge also doesn't require you to spend any character-creation resources since everyone has access to it. If we're using Feats and Races as the yardstick, a cantrip is worth about as much as a skill proficiency. That's small, but still non-trivial. Given that you're paying an opportunity cost to get a new defensive option, it seems to me that defensive option should probably be a bit better than the default defensive option in most situations rather than a fairly small subset of situations.

And that is why I would expect Blade Ward to function against weapon attacks by monsters using their natural weapons. Not only is it in accordance with how I read the spell text ("weapon"), but it's also more in accordance with fun. Ruling that Blade Ward doesn't work against a T-Rex nerfs the spell unnecessarily when it's not even that strong in the first place.

And for a squishy default wizard (AC 10) with no other defensive measures in place, Blade Ward will pretty much always be better than Dodge. You need a relatively high AC to make Dodge worthwhile.

Rebonack
2018-06-13, 12:26 PM
It looks like there might be some confusion here; a bite, for example, is still a melee weapon attack and a weapon attack, which is all that Blade Ward requires. (Confusingly, "attack with a (melee) weapon" and "(melee) weapon attack" aren't equivalent. Blade Ward is effectively just restricting the resistance to not apply to spell attacks, without excluding attacks made by magical weapons.)

I've seen it get interpreted both ways, so I'm sorta playing devil's advocate here. The wording feels a bit messy and fiddly given that 5e's goal is to lean in the direction of plain English.

Even still, I'm not sure why excluding spell attacks that deal BPS is required in the first place. The only spell attack that does BPS I can think of is Infestation.

And that is why I would expect Blade Ward to function against weapon attacks by monsters using their natural weapons. Not only is it in accordance with how I read the spell text ("weapon"), but it's also more in accordance with fun. Ruling that Blade Ward doesn't work against a T-Rex nerfs the spell unnecessarily when it's not even that strong in the first place.

And for a squishy default wizard (AC 10) with no other defensive measures in place, Blade Ward will pretty much always be better than Dodge. You need a relatively high AC to make Dodge worthwhile.

I'm in agreement with you here. Regardless of the intent of the 'weapon attack' clause, I feel Blade Ward should probably be a superior choice to Dodge almost regardless of circumstance. If a Wizard is worried about optimization at all, they're probably going to be sitting at 15 AC (Mage Armor plus 14 Dex) with the option to potentially boost it higher (shield). So it takes monsters with a ToHit bonus of +5 or better before Blade Ward breaks even with Dodge.

Pex
2018-06-13, 12:40 PM

More powerful than the 1st level spell Absorb Elements.

MegenticPull
2018-06-13, 12:55 PM
Blade Ward

The problem with Blade Ward is that using an action to dodge is almost always better than using an action to gain resistance. My revision goes something like this:

You extend your hand and trace a sigil of warding in the air. Until the start of your next turn, your movement doesn't provoke opportunity attacks that would be made with weapons, and you have resistance against bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage dealt by weapon attacks.

Adding in a disengage makes this spell actually useful for a non-melee caster who got stuck in combat. It functions like a disengage, while still granting resistance if a new foe catches up before the start of the next turn.
I also changed the duration from the end of your next turn to the start of your next turn. This is to stop it from acting as a double disengage.

True Strike

It's just so bad! You use your action to get advantage next round, but why not just attack twice instead. You'd still have two chances to hit, but you might also hit twice. Not to mention this requires concentration, which not only ends any ongoing spell, but also means it can be interrupted. Finally, it requires you to wait a turn, so even if you can quicken this, it's still pretty bad. I don't see a good way to make this a decent cantrip, my fix goes like this:

1st level Divination Spell
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: 30 feet
Duration: instantaneous
You choose a single creature within range. That creature gains advantage on their next attack roll before the end of your next turn.

Removing concentration lowers the burden of casting this spell. Changing it to a bonus action allows one to attack in the same round, which is important, because advantage on one attack roll isn't all that powerful. Allowing it to target other creatures lets the Wizard cast this on the Rogue, someone who will actually benifit from it.

Doing anything beyond removing the concentration component makes this spell insane as a cantrip: if it's a bonus action Wizards will always have advantage, if it can be cast on a Rogue, it'll out-scale damage cantrips really fast, assuming it's used when the rogue could otherwise not sneak attack. As such, I've bumped it up to a 1st level spell.

On the whole, it's now not great, except when there's a Rogue in the party. Even then, it's not a spectacular level one spell, but it's not a total trap pick either. I'd say that's the best I can manage.

The fancy footwork with the duration and wording is mostly to allow this spell to be used on yourself a round in advance, before letting off an attack roll spell, such as disintegration. You can't cast both a bonus action spell and an action spell in the same round unless one is a cantrip.

MaxWilson
2018-06-13, 01:41 PM

Absorb Elements does not eat concentration or bonus action--it just happens on a reaction. Absorb Elements is obviously "better" than the hypothetical Ward cantrip, to my powergamer's eye. It's essentially "resistance to elemental damage, all the time, no concentration cost, as long as you have it memorized and have your reaction available."

I'm in agreement with you here. Regardless of the intent of the 'weapon attack' clause, I feel Blade Ward should probably be a superior choice to Dodge almost regardless of circumstance. If a Wizard is worried about optimization at all, they're probably going to be sitting at 15 AC (Mage Armor plus 14 Dex) with the option to potentially boost it higher (shield). So it takes monsters with a ToHit bonus of +5 or better before Blade Ward breaks even with Dodge.

Agreed that it's easy for a wizard to become non-squishy. Reaching AC 21 via multiclassing is trivial, and at AC 21, Dodge is actually quite good. But I don't think it's a problem if Blade Ward isn't typically competitive with Dodge on a defensively-optimized high-AC wizard against standard weapon-using foes like orcs who forget to grapple.

When you're fighting a whole mob of enemies and relying on Dodge, and then one of them grapples you and your Dodge benefits go away, it... does things to your emotions. :-)

krugaan
2018-06-13, 02:48 PM

Somewhat? Absorb elements can be used on reaction though, which is pretty strong.

Ganymede
2018-06-13, 03:01 PM
I really like MegneticPull's approach of modelling these two cantrips after slightly better versions of standard combat actions. Doing so rewards the player for spending the resources to get the cantrip, and gives them a benefit that is easily comparable to what they could already do.

Blade Ward as an improved Disengage action and True Strike as an improved Help action just works.

Pex
2018-06-13, 04:58 PM
Absorb Elements does not eat concentration or bonus action--it just happens on a reaction. Absorb Elements is obviously "better" than the hypothetical Ward cantrip, to my powergamer's eye. It's essentially "resistance to elemental damage, all the time, no concentration cost, as long as you have it memorized and have your reaction available."

The proposed idea gives resistance to any damage and eventually last more than one round.

MaxWilson
2018-06-13, 05:26 PM
The proposed idea gives resistance to any damage and eventually last more than one round.

It doesn't ever last more than one round. And it costs your concentration. [shrug] Absorb Elements is clearly better.

Maybe you're arguing that the proposed idea is OP due to bonus action casting time. I could buy that argument. It's a bridge too far for my taste--I'd make it cost a full Action. But if it's OP, Absorb Elements is more OP.

Kane0
2018-06-13, 05:30 PM
One moment

Edit: Tada!

Blade Ward
Abjuration Cantrip

Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: Touch
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You touch one willing creature. Once before the spell ends the target can roll 1d4 and reduce the damage taken from one attack of its choice by the result. The spell then ends.
The die rolled increases when you reach 5th level (1d6), 11th level (1d8) and 17th level (1d10).

Guidance
Divination Cantrip

You touch one willing creature. Once before the spell ends the target can roll 1d4 and add the result to once ability check of its choice. The spell then ends.
The die rolled increases when you reach 5th level (1d6), 11th level (1d8) and 17th level (1d10).

Resistance
Abjuration Cantrip

Duration: Concentration, up to one minute

You touch one willing creature. Once before the spell ends the target can roll 1d4 and add the result to one saving throw of its choice. The spell then ends.

True Strike
Divination Cantrip

Range: touch

You touch one willing creature. Once before the spell ends the target can roll 1d4 and add the result to an attack roll of their choice. The spell then ends.

Sindeloke
2018-06-13, 06:26 PM
A bless-style 1d4 would work too and matches other cantrips, but you essentially just pick what average you want (and the maximum). A straight 5-20 seems like it's probably a bit much given bounded accuracy!

Well, my thinking is that if it isn't effectively "ignore bounded accuracy and auto-hit that fool unless you roll a 1" there's not enough incentive to not just attack twice on two successive turns, but I suppose a good enough high-level spell comes with a slot cost too and makes a lesser boost more worth it. I'd still probably go with at least a 1d8, though - unlike guidance this is locked to you personally, which is a cost that should be made up for in power.

Pex
2018-06-13, 07:53 PM
It doesn't ever last more than one round. And it costs your concentration. [shrug] Absorb Elements is clearly better.

Maybe you're arguing that the proposed idea is OP due to bonus action casting time. I could buy that argument. It's a bridge too far for my taste--I'd make it cost a full Action. But if it's OP, Absorb Elements is more OP.

Momentary confusion with another vis a vis the duration in my response to you. It's the multiple damage types that I meant.

Malifice
2018-06-14, 01:46 AM
Blade Ward wouldn't be useful in most of the situations you list here. It only reduces BPS damage dealt by (manufactured) weapons.

Err no. A 'weapon attack' is any melee or ranged weapon attack (as opposed to a melee or ranged spell attack), and is NOT limited to attacks from manufactured weapons.

A 'melee weapon attack' is a bite, sword, club, bash, tail, slam, dagger etc. Dropping the word melee leaves a 'weapon attack' and adds bow, manticore spikes etc to the list.

An attack with a melee weapon is something totally different.

Blade ward works fine against B,P and S from bows, swords, fists, claws etc. It works against any [melee or ranged] weapon attack (see the MM - most critters use 'melee weapon attacks' for their natural weapons. It just doesn't work against spell attacks, and B, P and S damage things that are not weapon attacks (falling for example).

MaxWilson
2018-06-14, 06:50 PM
Blade ward works fine against B,P and S from bows, swords, fists, claws etc. It works against any [melee or ranged] weapon attack (see the MM - most critters use 'melee weapon attacks' for their natural weapons. It just doesn't work against spell attacks, and B, P and S damage things that are not weapon attacks (falling for example).

A sane DM would of course ignore that part of Blade Ward's text. It's absolutely bonkers for Blade Ward to reduce damage from an dragon's tail slap but not from the dragon's wing attack, just because the wing attack involves a Dex save instead of an attack roll.

Just make it grant resistance to B/P/S, full stop.

ad_hoc
2018-06-15, 01:00 AM
To begin, I already know that both of these cantrips have extremely niche uses. Though the vast majority of the time characters with access to these options have other options that don't consume a valuable cantrip slot, such as Dodge vs Blade Ward.

Blade Ward isn't extremely niche.

I think it is superior to Dodge because it isn't as swingy. What you want most is to not be knocked down to 0hp. Dodge can go either way, while Blade Ward should protect you from being knocked out barring crits (which Dodge does help with more). That said, Dodge is better for Concentration and, of course, spell attacks.

This is another instance where something isn't very good if the DM doesn't have monsters attack the soft characters. If monsters never attack the spellcasters then a lot of things become either less or more powerful; with the spellcasters becoming much more powerful overall.

Then there is Blade Ward on a Warlock with Armour of Agathys. It's a pretty good combo.

Rebonack
2018-06-15, 01:28 AM
Blade Ward isn't extremely niche.

I think it is superior to Dodge because it isn't as swingy. What you want most is to not be knocked down to 0hp. Dodge can go either way, while Blade Ward should protect you from being knocked out barring crits (which Dodge does help with more). That said, Dodge is better for Concentration and, of course, spell attacks.

This is another instance where something isn't very good if the DM doesn't have monsters attack the soft characters. If monsters never attack the spellcasters then a lot of things become either less or more powerful; with the spellcasters becoming much more powerful overall.

Then there is Blade Ward on a Warlock with Armour of Agathys. It's a pretty good combo.

As mentioned before, Blade Ward is inferior to Dodge provided the target has a 50% chance or lower of hitting you to begin with. You also have to spend character creation resources to acquire Blade Ward. So if you decide to make a Wizard with no Dex mod who doesn't bother casting Mage Armor then sure, Blade Ward is significantly more valuable than simply taking the Dodge action. And it functions in situations where your speed is reduced to zero while Dodge doesn't. Works when you're blinded. Ect ect.

So Blade Ward is good if:

1) You can't be bothered to have decent Dex or Mage Armor or Shield.
AND
2) You find yourself in a situation where taking a purely defensive action is more valuable than casting a mobility/damage/control spell to save your bacon.

I actually really liked the idea of pairing Blade Ward and True Strike with other actions akin to Booming/Green Flame Blade. Blade Ward by itself is pretty niche. A Blade Ward that also lets you Dodge or Disengage as part of the action would actually be a nice spell worth taking.

Malifice
2018-06-15, 01:32 AM
As mentioned before, Blade Ward is inferior to Dodge provided the target has a 50% chance or lower of hitting you to begin with.

And its superior the other 50 percent of the time.

It has its uses.

MaxWilson
2018-06-15, 02:02 AM
And it functions in situations where your speed is reduced to zero while Dodge doesn't. Works when you're blinded. Ect ect.

AND
2) You find yourself in a situation where taking a purely defensive action is more valuable than casting a mobility/damage/control spell to save your bacon.

Aren't you neglecting a bunch of use cases here? #2 is necessary, but #1 is not. You said yourself that Blade Ward is better if you're blinded or grappled.

Yet another case where Blade Ward is better: you're an EK 8 who spent last round grapple/proning a monster (say a Sorrowsworn: The Angry) so the rest of your party can kill its buddies. Now it's already got disadvantage, so Dodge is useless to you. Might as well Blade Ward + War Magic (throw a net to restrain it) while you wait for the other PCs to mop up the other baddies.

On the other hand, Blade Ward is pretty useless against something like a Gloom Weaver due to most of its damage being necrotic or force.

JellyPooga
2018-06-15, 02:06 AM
The problem with True Strike, for me, is that it doesn't stack with much else. Granting Advantage is too weak an effect and adding to your attack roll steps on the toes of Bless. For me, the fix would be for it to ignore Disadvantage, rather than grant Advantage. Perhaps on a sliding scale based on level (like other cantrips scale at 5th, etc.). e.g. at 1st it ignores penalties for concealment, 5th it ignores cover and range penalties/bonuses at 11th it ignores any source of Disadvantage and at 17th it ignores LoS (bendy bullets!). I'd also have it be Target: Self and no range limit (seriously, how am I supposed to replicate Bard targeting Smaugs weak-spot when I can't do it from a decent distance?).

Galactkaktus
2018-06-15, 02:10 AM
Blade ward is also superior to dodge in any cases where the higher half of the damage range will kill you but the lower won't and you just need to survive one more round.

Lombra
2018-06-15, 02:10 AM
I like how situational they are: one for when you need unconditioned accuracy, the other for when you can't avoid being hit and even dodging won't do much good (like for traps or monsters with very high attack bonuses)

Tanarii
2018-06-15, 08:41 AM
As mentioned before, Blade Ward is inferior to Dodge provided the target has a 50% chance or lower of hitting you to begin with. You also have to spend character creation resources to acquire Blade Ward. So if you decide to make a Wizard with no Dex mod who doesn't bother casting Mage Armor then sure, Blade Ward is significantly more valuable than simply taking the Dodge action. And it functions in situations where your speed is reduced to zero while Dodge doesn't. Works when you're blinded. Ect ect.

AND
Mage armor + Dex 14, or other AC 15 builds, results in a 55% or greater chance of being hit fairly rapidly. And IMX almost no Wizards/Sorcs use Mage Armor. Generally only Dragon Sorcs and Warlocks that take the Invocation start with AC 15. In fact, IMX it's not uncommon for Arcane Tricksters to only have an AC of 14 (SL + Dex 15) at level 3. They'll go up pretty fast though.

If you're a caster and you have 2+ melee enemies next to you, you're either blowing a resource to get out of town (Misty Step), assuming you even have the spell prepared (not all that common IMX), or eating some damage. And in modern D&Ds small tactical squad gaming environment, it's not exactly rare unless you're in an are with narrow passageways and other areas that allow just 1 or 2 'tanks' to block them. ie you're in a literal dungeon.

Blade Ward definitely has its place for Wizards, Sorcs and Warlocks. It's just that most players of those classes, with the possible exception of bladelocks, generally prefer to be glass cannons.

ad_hoc
2018-06-15, 09:37 AM

Mage Armour isn't using character resources?

It is one of the most overrated spells on this board. I see it everywhere. Until higher level (when you can afford to cast both) Shield is superior. But that is another thread I suppose.

And you're still wrong. Like usual here, doing a simple damage calculation won't tell you what is better. You need to evaluate what happens in game. Even if mathematically over time Dodge will save a few HP, it is still worse if getting hit will knock you out but taking half won't.

If I have 40 HP I'd rather guarantee (barring a crit) that I only take 20 dmg from the incoming attack than risk taking 40 dmg.

Blade Ward definitely has its place for Wizards, Sorcs and Warlocks. It's just that most players of those classes, with the possible exception of bladelocks, generally prefer to be glass cannons.

Yeah, I think people often forget it is a team game. I'm happy to soak up some hits with Blade Ward while the team kills the baddies. You're not doing your team much good being a bloody mess on the floor.

I think Mage Armour is mostly a waste. Shield is good to have on hand as you can choose to cast it when it will help.

MaxWilson
2018-06-15, 11:58 AM
I think Mage Armour is mostly a waste. Shield is good to have on hand as you can choose to cast it when it will help.

Mage Armor is pretty nice on things that need to tank, and can't wear armor but have good Dex and lots of HP, like Invisible Stalkers that you've summoned and bound, or the party druid.

Shield is most useful on something that already has good AC, like a fighter/mage in heavy armor, but it does tend to be kind of wasteful of spell slots.

They both have a niche.

Rebonack
2018-06-15, 12:11 PM
And its superior the other 50 percent of the time.

It has its uses.

Not 50% of the time. Or at least probably not 50% of the time. Might be more, might be less. That's contingent on the sort of monsters the DM is throwing at your party.

I'm glad for the comments I've gotten in this topic, by the by. It's raised a number of upsides to Blade Ward that I hadn't considered previously.

krugaan
2018-06-15, 01:06 PM
Not 50% of the time. Or at least probably not 50% of the time. Might be more, might be less. That's contingent on the sort of monsters the DM is throwing at your party.

I'm glad for the comments I've gotten in this topic, by the by. It's raised a number of upsides to Blade Ward that I hadn't considered previously.

Dodge gets exponentially better as your AC goes up.

The sorts of people who cast Blade Ward are not the sorts of people who generally have stellar AC, barring clerics (I guess?) and EKs, I guess.

It has a niche, just not a super great one.