PDA

View Full Version : Price of a Pearl

Yogibear41
2018-06-12, 03:14 PM
Was wondering if anyone knew if there was a listed price for Pearls in a book anywhere, nothing magical, nothing fancy, just need a large quantity of pearls.

Segev
2018-06-12, 03:20 PM
Was wondering if anyone knew if there was a listed price for Pearls in a book anywhere, nothing magical, nothing fancy, just need a large quantity of pearls.

I think identify requires a "100 gp pearl" as its material component. So maybe pearls default to 100 gp each?

Zaq
2018-06-12, 03:24 PM
Like most gems (pearls are weird gems, but I feel comfortable lumping them under the heading), it would depend on the size and quality of the pearl. I don’t think you’ll find a rules quote for the price of a “standard” pearl. I’m not sure that the phrase “standard pearl” even really means anything, especially in the D&D universe where cultured and/or synthetic pearls are likely less common than in the modern world.

Alabenson
2018-06-12, 03:24 PM
The value of an individual pearl would generally be determined by it's individual size, shape and color, so it's not really something that would have a set listed price.

Falontani
2018-06-12, 03:27 PM
Actually! There are prices for pearls in one of the many forgotten realms books. Its underwater currency! It has exchange rates even! I'll go looking.

Found it.

Some undersea races typically use pearls as currency, particularly those whodwell in the shallows and trade with surface races. The value of a pearl varies by size - a quarter inch diameter is the standard - rarity, and quality (freedom from flaws). In the Sea of Fallen Stars, a white pearl or Seyar is worth 1 CP "below the wave" and averages 2 SP in value ashore. A yellow Hayar pearl is 1 SP undersea and averages 2 GP ashore, a green Tayar is 1 gp and 20 gp respectively, and a blue Nuyar is 5 GP "wet" and 100 gp "dry". The most prized pearls of all are Olmars, the 7-inch long, 3-inch wide diamond shaped olive pearls of great clams, worth 500 gp among the aquatic races and over 2,000 gp ashore.

BowStreetRunner
2018-06-12, 03:34 PM
In the DMG on page 55 there is a Table (3-6:Gems) that includes pearls. A freshwater (irregular) pearl lists at 10 gp. A white, golden, pink, or silver pearl lists at 100 gp. A black pearl lists at 500 gp.

Telonius
2018-06-12, 04:06 PM
In the DMG on page 55 there is a Table (3-6:Gems) that includes pearls. A freshwater (irregular) pearl lists at 10 gp. A white, golden, pink, or silver pearl lists at 100 gp. A black pearl lists at 500 gp.

Yeah, it's tucked away in the "Treasure (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/treasure.htm#tableGems)" section of the SRD as well. Individual values are rolled, but those are the average results.

Yogibear41
2018-06-13, 10:05 PM
Curious if it matters which one you have to use for a pearl of power. Using several feats/spells/etc. and the sacrifice rules in BOVD its possible to make 1st level pearls of power for free(with just a bit of blood-shed of course) but obviously you still need a pearl to put the magic into.

Mordaedil
2018-06-14, 03:30 AM
A pearl of power, when used, turns dull grey, so it might just be an iron sphere that is infused with magic.

BowStreetRunner
2018-06-14, 07:53 AM
A pearl of power, when used, turns dull grey, so it might just be an iron sphere that is infused with magic.
Pearls can be many colors, and grey pearls are certainly not uncommon. I think it's the dull part that makes it less valuable, since one of the attractions of a pearl is its luster and shine.