PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Multiclass Sorcerer Sorcery Points

Mojobacca
2018-06-12, 07:12 PM
Basic Question is what determines the amount of Sorcery Points a multiclass character has? Character Level or Sorcerer Level?

I'm almost positive it's Sorcerer level, but 2 things sparked some doubt and thus the question. First point is that the chart also shows Proficiency bonus, which is based on Character Level, not Sorcerer Level. Second is the under Monk, Ki Points are specified as being determined by your Monk Level, which could be seen as a similar feature.

From the PHB: "SORCERY POINTS - You have 2 sorcery points, and you gain more as you reach higher levels. as shown in the Sorcery Points column of the Sorcerer table." It doesn't specifically call out that the Sorcerer Level is the defining factor. Nor does the Multiclassing section.

I'm personally leaning towards it being determined by Sorcerer Level, I just want to make sure it's definitely RAW.

leogobsin
2018-06-12, 07:16 PM
The level charts for each class always refer to levels in that class, not overall character level. Proficiency bonus is just listed there for convenience. So yes, Sorcery Points is determined by Sorcerer level, the same way Ki is determined by Monk level, and Sneak Attack damage by Rogue level.

Vogie
2018-06-12, 09:41 PM
That's correct - with the exception of leveled cantrips and your proficiency bonus, if it refers to a level, it is referring to that class's level.

Multiclassing is an optional rule, remember.

kraitmarais
2018-06-12, 09:54 PM
^^ They have it right above. It’s based on sorcerer level, not character level, as it’s a class feature which is presumptively tied to levels in that class, unless language specified otherwise.

bid
2018-06-12, 11:15 PM
I'm personally leaning towards it being determined by Sorcerer Level, I just want to make sure it's definitely RAW.
Anything in the Classes chapter uses class level.

Each class is a separate entity, with some exceptions listed in the MC section.