PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Character advice for curse of Strahd?

Harrysonford
2018-06-12, 08:49 PM
Hey so, I’ve been trying to settle for a character for this campaign for a long time. I thought I would be able to choose better once I found out the rest of the party, but I’m still torn between classes.

The party is a Divine sorcerer, a warlock, a monk and a fighter (I don’t know the rest of the subclasses)

Any suggestions on builds for this party in curse of strahd?

Thanks!

mgshamster
2018-06-12, 09:53 PM
The two characters I played for this campaign (on two separate occasions) were:

1) Forest Gnome Beastmaster Ranger. Used a crossbow and ordered his animal to attack. Meanwhile, his ability to talk to small animals let his used every tiny forrest critter as a scout.

2) A Tiefling "Paladin." I used the monk class to simulate a paladin, where his kids abilities were his divine powers, his unarmed defense was Divine Armor, and I roleplayed him as a Paladin with a full on Oath of Devotion. His archetype was Way of the Open Hand, which was simulated as his divine strike (along with his flurry of blows). He uses a short sword as his primary weapon.

sophontteks
2018-06-12, 11:24 PM
With that comp either a bard or a rogue would be very strong.

Cespenar
2018-06-13, 03:32 AM
A less party specific but a more module-specific advise:

A Lawful Good Cleric fills a specific niche in Curse of Strahd, later on. Apart from all the advantages of being a cleric, I mean.

Brutalitops
2018-06-13, 04:12 AM
I would second the opinion that a cleric is very strong in CoS. I would recommend either for You a light domain cleric or a grave domain cleric. Light domain can do strong radiant easily with their channel divinity and spellwhich is very good for fighting vampires and undead. Grave cleric on the other hand is specificly designed at keeping your party alive and hunting undead.

jaappleton
2018-06-13, 05:10 AM
Lots of people miss this, so I’ve been doing a bit of a PSA about it.

Light Donain’s Channel Divinity is specifically stated to be Sunlight. It’s the only thing, aside from a Sunblade magic item, capable of generating Sunlight before 5th Level spells (Dawn from XGtE), or 6th Level (Sunbeam) if you’re restricted to the PHB (Available only to Wizards, Sorcs and Druids).

Sunlight. Is. King.