PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Channeling [3.x]

Arcanist
2018-06-12, 09:44 PM
In the BoED, there is a mechanic called "Channeling" that functions similarly to Posession from the BoVD. This allows you to do as follows:

While channeling a celestial, the mortal’s Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores become 5 points lower than the celestial’s (or remain the same as the mortal’s scores if they are higher). An increase in Wisdom affects the mortal’s Will saves, and all three increases might affect bonus spells and saving throw DCs for spells and special abilities. The mortal can use its own skills and the celestial’s skills. If the mortal and the celestial have the same skill, use the skill of whichever has more ranks in the skill. Use the mortal’s effective ability scores to determine skill modifiers.

The channeling mortal can use all of the celestial’s supernatural and spell-like abilities, and can cast spells known to the celestial if his requisite ability scores are high enough. The mortal remains in complete control of his own body while channeling the celestial, so celestials never allow nongood mortals to channel them. The mortal or the celestial can end the channeling at any time, as a free action. When this occurs, the celestial appears in an unoccupied space adjacent to the mortal.

This mechanic is reference again with no changes in the ECS (page 102 to be exact), and gains only a single feat to support it, but the feat in question (Lucid Channeling) overall doesn't seem that good so for now we'll ignore it (unless it becomes relevant).

This mechanic in mind, what would be the best Good aligned Outsiders, that can be channeled from this, besides the Solar?

daremetoidareyo
2018-06-12, 10:39 PM
Have a guide: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?486977-What-exactly-makes-a-creature-a-celestial

Nifft
2018-06-12, 10:52 PM
Have a guide: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?486977-What-exactly-makes-a-creature-a-celestial

Oh! How synchronic.

I was looking at that thread yesterday, and wondering how to respond.

It's got some errors.

Should I post in that thread, or would that be illegal / inappropriate / unwelcome thread necromancy?

Arcanist
2018-06-12, 11:06 PM

Heck yeah.

Should I post in that thread, or would that be illegal / inappropriate / unwelcome thread necromancy?

You can use this thread if you'd like to list off stuff or whatever. I am probably going to keep some of the stuff thought up in there to myself.

Bullet06320
2018-06-13, 03:41 AM
This mechanic in mind, what would be the best Good aligned Outsiders, that can be channeled from this, besides the Solar?

it depends on what you need at the time, spells or skills.
it allows for a lot of options, so its very versatile, and there's nothing wrong with lots of options that don't need to decided till you need them

daremetoidareyo
2018-06-13, 08:40 AM
Oh! How synchronic.

I was looking at that thread yesterday, and wondering how to respond.

It's got some errors.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. It's not fair to keep the OP mistaken.

Nifft
2018-06-13, 03:30 PM
If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. It's not fair to keep the OP mistaken.

I'm asking if it's okay to respond in that thread, since it's otherwise a really good handbook and I'd like if it were updated.

You've got stuff like talking about carrying creatures as equipment when dealing with Outsider teleportation that doesn't permit creatures, and valuing Cerdeval horn powers when the corpse doesn't have horns.

I'll give it a more careful reading if you tell me where to post feedback.

daremetoidareyo
2018-06-13, 03:50 PM
I'm asking if it's okay to respond in that thread, since it's otherwise a really good handbook and I'd like if it were updated.

You've got stuff like talking about carrying creatures as equipment when dealing with Outsider teleportation that doesn't permit creatures, and valuing Cerdeval horn powers when the corpse doesn't have horns.

I'll give it a more careful reading if you tell me where to post feedback.

I will spend some time this weekend moving the post to a new thread. The good stuff is way down and begins on the second page anyway. I will p.m. you when the deed is done

Nifft
2018-06-13, 03:55 PM
I will spend some time this weekend moving the post to a new thread. The good stuff is way down and begins on the second page anyway. I will p.m. you when the deed is done

You are awesome!

Thanks.