PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Warlock

Ixil
2018-06-13, 06:25 AM
Hi everyone!

So, I'm creating a NPC to help a party of new players. My intention is to probably turn that NPC into a recurring villain later on.

The NPC is a moon elf whose whole village was slaughtered by a drow raid (I know, not very original, but it's new players...). He goes a bit insane with grief and sets his plans for life to kill Lolth and any drow he finds. For that, he makes a pact (goes warlock, not pact of the blade) with an entity (divided between Fiend or Hexblade).

I can see Wendonai maybe wanting to help the warlock to defeat Lolth so he can usurp her power (maybe he's tired of "just" being her champion)... I can see Malkizid wanting to defeat Lolth and Drow, but don't know if he would be a patron for an elf. I have no ideas whatsoever for a Hexblade patron for this situation.

Any ideas? I don't need an optimized character, just make a memorable villain (or anti-hero with a very dark side...)

Cheers!

P.S. 1 - Any extra ideas apart from the patron are very much welcomed!

P.S. 2 - The NPC will be a villain in the sense that he will do what he needs to to accomplish his goal, regardless of consequences, regardless if he has to kill, sacrifice, and so on...

Wilb
2018-06-13, 08:11 AM
Considering that his pact has a rather warlike reasoning, Hexblade of any kind, except chain, seems like the best option.

As for patron, instead of these two, why not give a shot to Vhaeraun? Maybe he empowers the elf through a proxy to avoid revealing himself to Lolth's supporters. Vhaeraun wants to destroy Lolth and her supporters, maybe he pins the attack on the village on a group of fervent Lolth worshippers that he wants to destroy and simply points the NPC in that direction to do so.

That would also give a conflict between the elf and the patron, as he seemingly despises the patron for being a Drow, but he urges him to kill all Drow he comes in contact with, as Vhaeraun's worhippers are probably alerted to not get in his warlock's way. Maybe this conflict could be worked in the plot to either corrupt him completely or give him a chance for redemption, depending on the actions of the PCs.

Ixil
2018-06-13, 08:22 AM
I like where you're going...

I'll probably go Tome, I don't want Blade considering the party is all melee fighters (even the Cleric)...

Trying to find a proxy for Vhaeraun to use... The book itself (literally a Book of Shadows), a monster like a Shadow Dragon or a Nightwalker?

Ixil
2018-06-15, 04:39 AM
What about Kiaransalee somehow surviving being forgotten, but losing deity status, and becoming a patron?

Unoriginal
2018-06-15, 04:57 AM
My advice is to just take one of the Warlock NPC statblocks from the Volo's and tweak it a bit to be more melee-able.

It's a NPC who might turn antagonistic, not a PC.

Ixil
2018-06-15, 06:28 AM
My advice is to just take one of the Warlock NPC statblocks from the Volo's and tweak it a bit to be more melee-able.

It's a NPC who might turn antagonistic, not a PC.

It's also an idea... but unfortunately, I don't own Volo's...

Wilb
2018-06-15, 07:16 AM
What about Kiaransalee somehow surviving being forgotten, but losing deity status, and becoming a patron?

Kiaransalee is alive in 5e, per SCAG. She is an option too, but I suggested Vhaeraun because of his willingness to work with non-drow, especially if it is bad for Lolth, and in 5e he got kinda soft, even working out things with Eilistraee, ending the feud between them.

This also adds a layer of complexity to the patron, because he can even not really mean to treat the NPC purely as a tool, but as a proof of concept that drow can work with surface elves to end Lolth.

Taunting him about trapping or letting him go free in the end, showing some drow aiding him from afar to get him to question his values, trying to get him to cruelly murder those drow responsible for the death of his village (even if they weren't drow but tried to pin the attack on them, but Vhaeraun can "produce" some culprits), tempting him with more easy power with some seemingly innocuous cost with some obvious tips that terrible consequences may happen, and so on are just the delicious chaotic cherry on top of it all.

Ixil
2018-06-15, 09:20 AM
Ah, didn't know she was back alive and kicking... But you're right, Vhaeraun has much more potential... I'll try and come up with a proxy between god and warlock and go from there...

Thanks!

kamap
2018-06-15, 09:33 AM
The hexblade comes from the shadowfell, the shadowfell is ruled by the raven queen who is a god of dead well rather transition in the sense of dead when dead is due, someone upset the balance and many people died before their time.
She wants revenge on the one that upset the balance and helps out by sending a sentient weapon.

That NPC can still go tome have a bunch of cantrips and be a ranged fighter with good AC and will be able to hold his own in melee for a while till he can safely get to range again.
With the tome you can also have that NPC have a Raven familiar to stay in theme.

Unoriginal
2018-06-15, 10:07 AM
The hexblade comes from the shadowfell, the shadowfell is ruled by the raven queen who is a god of dead well rather transition in the sense of dead when dead is due

Not in 5e, though. The Raven Queen isn't even a god, strictly speaking.

EDIT:

Here's an homebrew of an hexblade High Elf warlock NPC:

Medium humanoid (Elf), Lawful evil

Armor Class 17 (studded leather and shield)
Hit Points 78 (12d8+24)

Speed 30 ft.

STR 10 (0)
DEX 16 (+3)
CON 15 (+2)
INT 13 (+1)
WIS 12 (+1)
CHA 18 (+4)

Saving Throws Wis +4, Cha +7

Skills Arcana +4, Deception +7, Persuasion +7, Religion +4

Damage Resistances: slashing damage from nonmagical attacks not made with silvered weapons

Senses darkvision 60 ft.

Languages Elf, Common

Innate Spellcasting. The warlock’s innate spellcasting ability is Charisma. It can innately cast the following spells (spell save DC 15), requiring no material components:

At will: alter self, false life, levitate (self only), speak with animals, silent image

1/day each: feeblemind, finger of death, plane shift

Spellcasting. The warlock is a 17th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 15, +7 to hit with spell attacks). It regains its expended spell slots when it finishes a short or long rest. It knows the following warlock spells:

Cantrips (at will): eldritch blast, booming blade, friends, mage hand, minor illusion, prestidigitation, shocking grasp

1st-5th level (4 5th-level slots): Shield, Wrathful Smite, Blur, Branding Smite, Blink, Elemental Weapon, Phantasmal Killer, Staggering Smite, Banishing Smite, Cone of Cold

Hex Warrior: the Warlock uses their CHA modifier for their attack and damage rolls when using their Longsword.

Hexblade's Curse (Recharge on a Short of Long Rest)
As a bonus action, the Warlock choose one creature they can see within 30 feet The curse ends early if the target dies, the warlock dies, or they are incapacitated. The target is cursed for 1 minute. Until the curse ends, the Warlock gain the following benefits:

-The Warlock gain a +3 to damage rolls against the cursed target.
-Any attack roll the Warlock makes against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.
-If the cursed target dies, the Warlock regains 21 HPs

Actions

Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d8+4) slashing damage (12 against cursed target)

Not perfect, but does it inspire you?

ad_hoc
2018-06-15, 10:47 AM
My advice is to keep it simple and just give him the spells and abilities you want him to have.

There is no optimizing here, he is an NPC. He doesn't have levels.

Ixil
2018-06-15, 11:16 AM
He's supposed to start with the PC's party, so I want to actually make him a character with "normal" stats...

But that build is looking good, and it gives me something to aim for!

Sorlock Master
2018-06-15, 11:23 AM
Hi everyone!

So, I'm creating a NPC to help a party of new players. My intention is to probably turn that NPC into a recurring villain later on.

The NPC is a moon elf whose whole village was slaughtered by a drow raid (I know, not very original, but it's new players...). He goes a bit insane with grief and sets his plans for life to kill Lolth and any drow he finds. For that, he makes a pact (goes warlock, not pact of the blade) with an entity (divided between Fiend or Hexblade).

I can see Wendonai maybe wanting to help the warlock to defeat Lolth so he can usurp her power (maybe he's tired of "just" being her champion)... I can see Malkizid wanting to defeat Lolth and Drow, but don't know if he would be a patron for an elf. I have no ideas whatsoever for a Hexblade patron for this situation.

Any ideas? I don't need an optimized character, just make a memorable villain (or anti-hero with a very dark side...)

Cheers!

P.S. 1 - Any extra ideas apart from the patron are very much welcomed!

P.S. 2 - The NPC will be a villain in the sense that he will do what he needs to to accomplish his goal, regardless of consequences, regardless if he has to kill, sacrifice, and so on...

I would say Warlock Pact of the Chain/Death (or Grave) Domain Cleric.

The idea being he became concerned with the proper rites of the dead after his family died, and seeks to prevent it from happening again.

The patron should be from the shadowfel so he would worship The Raven Queen and have a pact with one of her underlings.

ad_hoc
2018-06-15, 02:44 PM
He's supposed to start with the PC's party, so I want to actually make him a character with "normal" stats...

But that build is looking good, and it gives me something to aim for!

Right, but you could just choose everything. It would be much easier. Not all NPCs are super powerful just because their abilities are chosen. It's just how NPCs and monsters work.

But then what is really happening here is that you want to play right so you're making a character for yourself. It will not end well.

Ixil
2018-06-15, 04:32 PM
Right, but you could just choose everything. It would be much easier. Not all NPCs are super powerful just because their abilities are chosen. It's just how NPCs and monsters work.

But then what is really happening here is that you want to play right so you're making a character for yourself. It will not end well.

Actually, no, if I wanted to play I wouldn't be choosing that character... Not my favourite... I just want a NPC that the players can relate as one of their own, so that when they're betrayed it may affect them more... I find it harder to make it that way if the NPC is ...weird, for the lack of a better word...

Of course, I may as well be mistaken. Either way, I appreciate your input! ;)

Sopor Tyranus
2018-06-15, 05:35 PM
Use Shevarash as the Patron.

Shevarash (pronounced: /ˈʃɛvərɑːʃ/ SHEV-uh-rash[5]) was the elven deity of revenge, loss and hatred of the Drow. He never displayed any emotion aside from anger and the occasional exultation after the death of an enemy. The Black Archer was disdainful of moderation in the pursuit of revenge, and would often strike preemptively against his foes.[5]

Ixil
2018-06-15, 05:43 PM
Use Shevarash as the Patron.

Would Hexblade still fit him, or being a member of the Seldarine, would it be more of a Celestial patron?

Unoriginal
2018-06-15, 06:29 PM
Would Hexblade still fit him, or being a member of the Seldarine, would it be more of a Celestial patron?

Hexblade would still fit.

Ixil
2018-06-16, 04:04 AM
Thank you!!!