PDA

View Full Version : Class Exclusive Spells (3.5)

Climowitz
2018-06-13, 10:44 AM
Besides core clasess and Wu Jen, which classes, Base or Prestige, has spells that can only be achieved by that class, or by some classes that are not the ones i referred at the start?
I'm buiding a list of spells from 0 to 9, and i want to access every spell and have it in a list. And i also would like to place ranger, paladin, and those classes spells, fit into a nine level progression, so a level 4 Paladin spell, might be a level 7 or 8 spells.

ryu
2018-06-13, 11:19 AM
If you want to get technical no class' spells are well and truly exclusive to that class, you can access them with a bit of work, but I'm assuming you want classes with these harder to access spells? Sorcerer has many.

Edit: Oh wait besides core.... Artificer can get literally everything. Erudite using spell to power erudite also gets a lot. Archivist has wider access than most.

Climowitz
2018-06-13, 11:55 AM
Im more interested in the spell list, rather than the class which can cast them. I want to know if there are spells on other lists

Goaty14
2018-06-13, 11:56 AM
Wings of Cover/Flurry are Sorc-only spells, for starters.

Khedrac
2018-06-14, 06:15 AM
There are also a number of spells on domain lists but not on any conventional class spell list (which does allowarchivists and chameleons to get them). E.g. armor of darkness is a 4th level spell for the Darkness domain - it is on no other list.

Elrak
2018-06-14, 08:57 AM
Disclaimer, some of the spells below are 3.0:

Assassin:
Assassin's Darkness
Deathsight
Getaway
Flesh Armor

Assassin and Hexblade:
Cursed Blade

Apostle of Peace, Glory Domain:
Glorious Raiment

Apostle of Peace, Exalted Arcanist, Herald:
Aspect of the Deity

Demonologis and Bard:
Stunning Screech

Nentyar Hunter, Hathran and Moon Domain:
Moon Blade
Moon Path

Also I believe there was a spell that was only accessible for a cleric with a certain feat out of one of the Faerun books, but I cannot remember the name. EDIT: I believe this was Holy star which is gained with with the Initiate of Mystra feat.

Thurbane
2018-06-14, 02:24 PM
This is a really great resource for this kind of thing: Search Spells - IMarvinTPA's (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/FindSpell.php)

The same site also has lists of spells by class, but these can be trickier to locate. e.g.:
Demonologist (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/Index_Class_Desc.php?Class=Dem)
Emissary of Barachiel (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/Index_Class_Desc.php?Class=EmBarachiel)
Hathran (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/Index_Class_Desc.php?Class=Hth)
etc.

..also worth bearing in mind that the Divine Crusader (CD) prestige class effectively has a "class spell list" of one domain, so basically any domain can technically be considered a class spell list, by a generous reading.

FelineArchmage
2018-06-14, 02:45 PM
Also I believe there was a spell that was only accessible for a cleric with a certain feat out of one of the Faerun books, but I cannot remember the name. EDIT: I believe this was Holy star which is gained with with the Initiate of Mystra feat.

Holy Star is a 7th level cleric spell per the spell compendium. I think you are thinking of Spellmantle?

Thurbane
2018-06-14, 03:42 PM
A couple of the Initiate feats can unlock unique spells (which AFAIK don't appear on any other spell lists; I think this list is more-or-less complete):

Initiate of Anhur gives access to Thunderstroke.
Initiate of Bane gives access to Battletide.
Initiate of Cyric gives access to Black Talon.
Initiate of Eilistraee gives access to Eilistraee's Moonfire, Lesser Spellsong and Spellsong.
Initiate of Ghaunadaur gives access to Mantle of the Slime Lord and Slime Hurl.
Initiate of Helm gives access to Mace of Odo and Warning.
Initiate of Horus-Re gives access to Disk of Solar Vengeance and Stormvoice.
Initiate of Ilmater gives access to Glory of the Martyr and Pact of Martyrdom.
Initiate of Lathander gives access to Greater Shield of Lathander, Shield of Lathander and Sunrise.
Initiate of Malar gives access to Strength of the Beast.
Initiate of Milil gives access to Dispel Silence.
Initiate of Nobanion gives access to Lionheart.
Initiate of the Holy Realm gives access to Lionheart and Love Bite.
Initiate of Selune gives access to Moonweb, Strength of the Beast and Wall of Moonlight.
Initiate of Tymora gives access to Favor of Tymora and Fleeting Fortune.
Initiate of Tyr gives access to Greater Sword and Hammer and Sword and Hammer.

(Please let me know if any of these are available elsewhere).

..there's also the murky category of spells which initially were only available through "Initiate of"... feats, but in later FR books, became Cleric spells, but only available to clerics of the specific deity.

Crichton
2018-06-14, 10:26 PM
It's not spells, but psionics has a ton of class exclusive powers. Frankly it's quite annoying. Why should See Invisibility or the psionic versions of enlarge person or reduce person be specific to one class?

Rendakor
2018-06-14, 10:35 PM
It's not spells, but psionics has a ton of class exclusive powers. Frankly it's quite annoying. Why should See Invisibility or the psionic versions of enlarge person or reduce person be specific to one class?

Individual psionic powers are often more versatile than their spell counterparts due to augmentation; psionic classes therefore need a more narrow power selection to stop them from completely outshining traditional casters. Plus, Expanded Knowledge lets them grab any power they need from other classes/disciplines, unlike Extra Spell.

Crichton
2018-06-14, 10:58 PM
Individual psionic powers are often more versatile than their spell counterparts due to augmentation; psionic classes therefore need a more narrow power selection to stop them from completely outshining traditional casters. Plus, Expanded Knowledge lets them grab any power they need from other classes/disciplines, unlike Extra Spell.

Some are potentially more powerful than their spell counterparts, due to being able to augment them to increase their numerical effects, sure, but I don't know that I'd say they're more versatile, at least not most of them.

See Invis? Really? It's a generic level 2 wizard spell, but only Lurks can have it? Give me a break!

As for Expanded Knowledge, it does work, but honestly who can spare enough feats for it to gain more than one, maybe two powers?
Feats are precious, and limiting generic spell-equivalent powers to exclusive classes is a lame move.

Powers that are equivalent to exclusive or odd spells, maybe. Powers that have no spell equivalent and are specifically complementary to that class's features, sure. But not the generic ones.

Elrak
2018-06-15, 02:23 AM
Holy Star is a 7th level cleric spell per the spell compendium. I think you are thinking of Spellmantle?

I think you are correct Sir :)

Kelb_Panthera
2018-06-15, 03:56 AM
Some are potentially more powerful than their spell counterparts, due to being able to augment them to increase their numerical effects, sure, but I don't know that I'd say they're more versatile, at least not most of them.

See Invis? Really? It's a generic level 2 wizard spell, but only Lurks can have it? Give me a break!

As for Expanded Knowledge, it does work, but honestly who can spare enough feats for it to gain more than one, maybe two powers?
Feats are precious, and limiting generic spell-equivalent powers to exclusive classes is a lame move.

Powers that are equivalent to exclusive or odd spells, maybe. Powers that have no spell equivalent and are specifically complementary to that class's features, sure. But not the generic ones.

I -was- going to say that it's no big deal because see invisibility is so easy to come by otherwise... until I double checked. I'm stunned at how rare and expensive see invisibility actually is outside of the spell itself.

Jack_Simth
2018-06-15, 07:22 AM

Energy Bolt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyBolt.htm) can do four different elements with one power known (pretty much the entire Energy X line of powers is like that, really).
Psionic Charm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/charmPsionic.htm) and Dominate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dominatePsionic.htm) merge "Person" with "Monster" by augmentation.
Astral Construct (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/astralConstruct.htm) is one power that replaces basically the entire Summon Monster line.

To be fair: Telekenisis got split into three different powers when they converted the spell, they have a lot of single-purpose powers (but there's more single-purpose spells), and I'm unaware of a Psionic equivalent to the Shadow Conjouration/Evocation line. For the most part, though, psionic power are more flexible in what they can do.

DrMotives
2018-06-15, 08:34 AM

Part of that problem is that power is in Complete Psionic, which is a terrible book. While none of my players have shown any interest in psionics, I would houserule that power to be on the psy rogue & if not generic psion, at least the seer class lists. Lurk just feels like a worse version of psychic rogue anyway.