PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Identity Crisis

Thurbane
2018-06-13, 03:56 PM
Hey, so I just want to discuss a hypothetical character (most likely an NPC, but I may use this for a PC at some point).

The character used to be a Human, but undergoes the rites to become an Elan. He retains basic memories of his previous life, but loses class levels etc.

At some point in his career, he becomes Lawful Evil before dying. At this point, he undergoes The Scourging, and returns to the mortal plane as a Hellbred. He some vague memories of his previous life, and also any languages he spoke during his life. Again, he loses class levels etc.

Wanting to escape his condemnation to the Nine Hells, he decides to undergo the ritual to become a Dragonborn of Bahamut.

All is going well, until one day he is slain unexpectedly in combat. His party, having only a Druid, cannot Raise him, so instead they cast Reincarnate. He comes back as a Goblin.

Unhappy with his new form, he eventually decides to undergo the Rite of Spellscale Assumption, so as to be a better spellcaster.

Human > Elan > Hellbred > Dragonborn > Goblin > Spellscale.

...so, how would you roleplay such a character? What kind of class levels, feats etc. would you feel to be fitting?

Just a weird concept I have, and wondering how to put it into practice.

Cheers - T

Nifft
2018-06-13, 04:14 PM
If the reincarnate were to happen in Eberron, this NPC could have become a Changeling, and thus maintain even less of a coherent identity.

I'd look at that priest who trained Arya Stark ("a girl is nobody") for some kind of self-abnegating identity-speak.

If you did end up as a Changeling, then I'd consider Rogue 5 / Chameleon 10 / Cabinet Trickster 5.

If you're fixed on Spellscale, then I guess Sorcerer is your favored class, so just do that. Explain your Sorcery spells & feat powers as manifestations of your past lives.

For example: Draconic Breath -> "Oh yeah, I used to be a Dragonborn of Bahamut, so having a breath weapon is totally normal for me."

Venger
2018-06-13, 04:27 PM
Personally, in dnd, where changing your race is as easy as changing your clothes, I don't think there would be as much conflation of identity and physical body as there is in real life in the first place. If magic to change race is rare in your campaign, the character might think through situations in the game through more than one of their "past lives" on occasion, rather than just their current one.

the character's name is Jaqen H'ghar if you watch the show. he trains Arya to be a chameleon, in game terms. he's pretty cool.

races of eberron's section on changelings is pretty great, and you might get some good information from it, even though I know you dislike eberron, I would recommend giving it a read.

Karl Aegis
2018-06-13, 04:33 PM
You jump out of the bushes and harass chromatic dragons. That's really all your races have going for you.

The Viscount
2018-06-13, 06:18 PM
I think something that might still be rather prominent for this character is that, while by RAW I believe he would no longer immediately return to Baator upon his death, this isn't something that he necessarily knows. Was he dead long enough for his soul to go anywhere? If so, did he still end up in Baator, because he hasn't yet redeemed himself? Did he end up in another plane entirely for a short time?

If he saw a glimpse of Baator, he might be feeling hopeless that none of this has helped him escape being bound by his past life.

If he didn't get to see the afterlife, perhaps he's still haunted by the idea that he might have more work to do before he can earn redemption.

If he saw a different afterlife, maybe he's relieved and feels he finally earned redemption. Maybe he feels joyful thinking he cheated the system by switching around enough that the devils lost track of his soul. Maybe he feels like he got something that he didn't earn, and he's conflicted over that.

In terms of other roleplay applications, you could have him be clumsy as he tries to move around like he was still Small, or reaching up to stroke his chin thoughtfully and jumping a little when his face is scaly.

In terms of class, if this is a character who's still trying to undo his past sins, perhaps something like dragonblood paladin. If he's excited with getting away with no longer being condemned to Baator, maybe something like Malconvoker for a character thumbing his nose at the devils by summoning them for good purposes.

A_S
2018-06-13, 11:02 PM
I'm imagining this character as a bitter, sarcastic misanthrope who has come to see his revolving-door racial identity as a grim sort of running joke, because it's the only way he can stay sane.

Channel Agrajag (http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Agrajag) ("Oh no, not again...") as much as possible.

This might not be the angle you're looking for though.