PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #317 - The Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

The Giant
2006-05-23, 06:34 AM
New comic is up.

Archonic Energy
2006-05-23, 06:36 AM
woot page POST 1... now to read the comic.

From the "Sell out" line to V's final comment this was one of the funniest comic's i've read....

i thought it was going to be a "what did i do last night" moment... A perfect swicherroo!

Explosive Runes are back!

Edit: Warning this post has been heavily edited.. spelling, bad grammar, all have been fixed.

thatguy
2006-05-23, 06:38 AM
Extremely clever. I totally didn't see that punchline coming. Well done, Giant!

Soniku
Second reply! Woo!! great comeback for V there.

Edit: NOO!!! someone beat me to the reply button!

Kefka
Awesome comic, Giant. I think Belkar has several more nasty surprises ahead......

FEEL THE POWER OF THE FIRST PAGE!!!

ChristopherDK
another good use of explosive runes :) GO V

Lauren
2006-05-23, 06:41 AM
Brilliantly exacted revenge. *V love*

NeonBlack
2006-05-23, 06:41 AM
Yay, explosive runes are back. And, best of it all, Belkar probably doesn't even remember why ;D.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2006-05-23, 06:42 AM
Sterotypical rosters, hilariouse

cuibono_219
2006-05-23, 06:42 AM
Hilarious, I say.

LightShia
2006-05-23, 06:43 AM
heck? morning already?

TheJet31619
2006-05-23, 06:43 AM
Revenge is a dish that is best served cold. Or hot with 2 cups of cream and 3 sugar cubes. Awesome comic Giant.

PostMortem
2006-05-23, 06:44 AM
Great!!!

I can really sympathize with Belkar, I've felt like that many times.

In fact I got so drunk 2 weeks ago that I too kissed a random woman, luckily she chose not to seek revenge!..... I think..... maybe she's waiting..... you know "revenge a dish best served cold" and all that..... OH GOD I HOPE SHE DOESN'T READ OOTS..... SOMEONE HELP ME!!!! :o

Where can I get that brand of coffee? Seems like a real pick me up!

PS: FIRST PAGE WHOO HOO!!!! ;D

Artector
2006-05-23, 06:45 AM
Great comic giant!

And now that my first page is secure....

Explosive Runes Brand Cofee, great!

Never imagined Roy wearing sweat socks.

Shadow_of_Light
2006-05-23, 06:45 AM
I KNEW it'd be explosive runes. :D

thespyder
2006-05-23, 06:46 AM
hehe, dimmer switch for the sun. i love that!

Nightstallion
2006-05-23, 06:47 AM
Yay, explosive runes are back. And, best of it all, Belkar probably doesn't even remember why ;D.

Neither do I, actually...

arjanjon
2006-05-23, 06:49 AM
Curtains would do the trick :) But anyway: brilliant comic (although I'm surprised that V even brought Belkar home, I would have left him were he fell)

Vargtass
2006-05-23, 06:50 AM
I was really expecting "but they haven't found a cure for hang-overs" or "but they haven't invented venetian blinds". But I should trust the Giant to blow everything out of proportion. Dimmer on the sun ...

This was excellent!

Bret_Hawkeye
2006-05-23, 06:51 AM
just hilarious!

phlip
2006-05-23, 06:52 AM
Aww, poor Elan... he would be so upset of he heard that... and knew what it meant...

paul_brown_1973
2006-05-23, 06:56 AM
Sweet, sweet revenge. Somehow it doesn't seem enough (or, at least, I'd make the little swine suffer more than that), so don't go assuming that V's all out of tricks yet;

How about "Glodhammers Runes of Forced Druken Memory Playback"? I'm pretty sure I've had that cast on me a few times.

Elftist
2006-05-23, 06:57 AM
I am not one of those who saw that coming. That was, I think, the first time I have ever laughed out loud within half an hour of waking up at 6:00 am.

Freelance Henchman
2006-05-23, 06:59 AM
I'm amazed at the amount of electrical (magical?) appliances available in the OOTS world. First the bug zapper, now a coffee machine. Are these made by GE (General Enchant-ics) ?

Mordas
2006-05-23, 07:00 AM
Great comic. I was laughing after I finished it.

Sc00by
2006-05-23, 07:00 AM
If I wasn't at work I think i would actually ROFL...

I think i smiled at every panel (except panel 2) and actually laughed out loud at the punch (or is that boom?) line.

Good stuff.

MrSokkie
2006-05-23, 07:02 AM
Great comic, I can really relate to Belkar. I usually feel that way before my morning dose of caffeine.

How do spoiler-tags work?

Hmm, can't work it out, so took out a comment that might be considerd as a spoiler.

das_maze
2006-05-23, 07:02 AM
Can't talk... Coffee...

This is exactly the way I walk around every morning. Only without the hangover.

Akjara
2006-05-23, 07:08 AM
That was a nice surprise. *g* I expected something along the lines of "Did something happen yesterday?"

Although I have to say that the coffeemaker looks a little bit out of place.

saile
2006-05-23, 07:12 AM
Neither do I, actually...

Se last comic, top of page 2 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=316).

Oh, sweet, sweet - sorry, bitter, sour, sweaty and explosive - revenge! Although I must say that I think it might be just a wee bit out oh proportion - I hope noone reacts that way if I ever did something inapproproate while drunk.
But maybe that's - oh, better hide this - a way for Haley to get better: get sopping drunk, then she 1) will get that drunken courage and 2) she'll get the ability to deny responsibility

On a side note: Man, you gotta be fast around here. I looked in on the page, still no update, came back ten minutes later, read the comic and went to the forum: page 2 already!

TarSheva
2006-05-23, 07:15 AM
Good one, Giant.

"Filterin' tha coffee wit' Roy's sweat socks..." really great imagery there. ::shudders::

Iruka
2006-05-23, 07:15 AM
"I'd settle for a few castings of Summon Coffee VII. Maximized."

classic.
How I wish I could cast that spell. I'll be very careful to never piss off an elf.

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 07:17 AM
New comic is up.

ROFLMAO! Explosive Runes Coffee--Good to the Last Boom! Lovingly filtered through Roy's sweat socks. ROFLMAO! I'm still laughing as I type this!

Well if Belkar didn't look shorter before, he sure will now! ;D

Woot! page 3! (Actually: Darn, I was awake and could have been on page one for the first time ever, but NO, I had to eat something and watch part of last night's Everwood. That will teach me to have interests beyond OOTS! From now on, no food!)

Messenger
2006-05-23, 07:17 AM
The morning after all those wonderful storyline rollercoaster rides. The denoument, the resolution, the consequences. Not as powerful or gripping or emotionally effective as the previous episodes, but a fine continuation of the story. :)

But my question is: what will we see when we turn to Roy, Celia, Elan and Haley? :(

Grunjon
2006-05-23, 07:20 AM
Took me a moment to remember that this was V's revenge for Belkar kissing him, so puzzlement was my first reaction. Then I recalled, and cracked a big grin. Too bad I forgot momentarily what V's beef was, or I probably would have laughed out loud. My fault, I guess.

The sweatsocks thing was perfect, though, and I loved the line from the desk cleark ("I coulda sworn...") and the crack from the 2nd rooster ("sell-out!"). ;D

The comment Belkar makes about Elan is probably all too true. Poor Elan. Since it's morning, I guess he didn't chase after Haley, and that part of the plot will continue to play out. But Xykon's on his way with his army, so there are plenty of dicey moments approaching where Haley can save Elan's life (or vice versa) and then kiss the boy. Truly, deeply, and passionately.

Gotta wonder how Roy and Celia ended up. Will they wake up together? :o

Lianae
2006-05-23, 07:22 AM
V's self-righteous attitude is the best part of this strip.

Adeptus
2006-05-23, 07:23 AM
Oh man! Brilliant.

This time I literally tittered out loud. It always makes one feel like such a loonie to grin at a screen like a fool and snort with laughter when all alone in the appartment.

So cool :D and Varsuuvius is pretty unflappable isn't he.

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 07:23 AM
Great comic giant!

And now that my first page is secure....

Explosive Runes Brand Cofee, great!

Never imagined Roy wearing sweat socks.

Well remember he's got the big old boots. He needs something to keep his tender stick-feet from chaffing. ;)

Ronald_saveloy
2006-05-23, 07:25 AM
Revenge is a dish best server with pot of hot coffee!

-old elven proverb

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 07:25 AM

Of course Beklar could have just pulled the blinds. ;D

semcapital
2006-05-23, 07:26 AM
Good comic! :D
Sad to know Elan didn't chase Haley or something (apparently, anyway).
Xycon will probably arrive very soon... then we'll be seeing some action!

tee_kay_one
2006-05-23, 07:27 AM
gvgvgvgv
;D

perfect! That's exactly what I needed today! Roy's sweaty socks... yummy

One thing I don't get - why does Belkar do all those magic related jokes? Is there a hint of memory of him kissing V in his little brain?

EDIT: deleted a really dumb question... forgot about the stilts... obviously heavy laughter reduces my IQ

Messenger
Poor Elan. Since it's morning, I guess he didn't chase after Haley, and that part of the plot will continue to play out. But Xykon's on his way with his army, so there are plenty of dicey moments approaching where Haley can save Elan's life (or vice versa) and then kiss the boy. Truly, deeply, and passionately.
I'll leave how any of that resolves to the Giant. ;)

I second the notion. I'd like to see that.

It was great to see the comic take a serious, intense, even romantic, tone with the past few updates.

But even if Roy and Celia find themselves together and compatible, I've a feeling they're going to wake up screaming... ;D

Grunjon
gvgvgvgv

I keep seeing that "gv" thing posted...what's it mean, please?

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 07:29 AM
Sweet, sweet revenge. Somehow it doesn't seem enough (or, at least, I'd make the little swine suffer more than that), so don't go assuming that V's all out of tricks yet;

How about "Glodhammers Runes of Forced Druken Memory Playback"? I'm pretty sure I've had that cast on me a few times.

Yes, and I don't think we should give those Spiked Tentacles of Forced Instrusion short shrift either. ;)

tee_kay_one
2006-05-23, 07:30 AM

It's "Haley-speech" for "hahaha"...

Kanashimi
2006-05-23, 07:31 AM
hee hee, I have to agree with Belkar's assesment of the morning. Summon Coffee VII would be an EXCELLENT spell.

Great comic!

Lightman
2006-05-23, 07:34 AM
LOL!

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 07:35 AM
hee hee, I have to agree with Belkar's assesment of the morning. Summon Coffee VII would be an EXCELLENT spell.

As someone who has no interest in coffee, I just have to say...don't forget to apply the Maximize Beverage feat to your Summon Coffee VII. ;)

Eldhrin
2006-05-23, 07:38 AM
Does Maximise Beverage merely boost the size of the drink, or does it also make it more potent?

And shouldn't the comic say 'Roy's sweaty socks?' Or are 'sweat socks' an American term I'm not aware of?

Lord Herman
2006-05-23, 07:38 AM
That is the awesomest coffee I've ever seen, and I don't even like coffee!

I'm afraid I don't quite get the sell-out line, though.

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 07:41 AM
Took me a moment to remember that this was V's revenge for Belkar kissing him, so puzzlement was my first reaction. Then I recalled, and cracked a big grin. Too bad I forgot momentarily what V's beef was, or I probably would have laughed out loud. My fault, I guess.

The sweatsocks thing was perfect, though, and I loved the line from the desk cleark ("I coulda sworn...") and the crack from the 2nd rooster ("sell-out!"). ;D
Thanks! I totally missed that crack.

The comment Belkar makes about Elan is probably all too true.
Heh. I did laugh at that one. "Must be how Elan feels when he tries subtraction."

Poor Elan. Since it's morning, I guess he didn't chase after Haley,
I'm not betting on that.

and that part of the plot will continue to play out. But Xykon's on his way with his army, so there are plenty of dicey moments approaching where Haley can save Elan's life (or vice versa) and then kiss the boy. Truly, deeply, and passionately.

Ah, I hadn't thought about that. I'd l ike to see that too. I'm particularly curious as to how Celia avoids smushing her wings in bed. ;D

Blaznak
2006-05-23, 07:42 AM
*shudders* oooh almost too close to real life with the coffee (Grin).

A nice pay off for the strip before...

Later...

Pheldagriff
2006-05-23, 07:42 AM
I feel sorry for Belkar. I mean he was drunk. He surely didn't intend to kiss V in the first place. :P

blackfox
2006-05-23, 07:43 AM
Summon Coffee VII? I need that...
And another great use of explosive runes, of course. That's one of the best spells ever.

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 07:44 AM
Does Maximise Beverage merely boost the size of the drink, or does it also make it more potent?

And shouldn't the comic say 'Roy's sweaty socks?' Or are 'sweat socks' an American term I'm not aware of?Maximise Beverage (or Maximize Beverage as we Yanks call it over on our side of the pond ;) ) doesn't affect the size of the beverage, only the potency. To get a larger coffee you need to apply the Enlarge Beverage feat. ;D

Edit: Oh yes, "sweat socks" is indeed another American term. Frankly I didn't know you didn't have them over in the UK. They're generally thick, white, cotton socks designed to absorb your sweat. These days sweat socks usually have extra padding under the heel, and sometimes under the ball of the foot as well. Back when I was a high school kid they were just white cotton socks, and they sat in our gym lockers every night so that by the end of the school year they could get up, walk around, and give a skunk a run for its money. You probably do have them in the UK, but they're rationed by your national health care bureaucracy. ;)

LostInBrittany
2006-05-23, 07:47 AM
Absolutly wonderful, it was a long since since last time I had laught like that! :D

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 07:51 AM
I wondered about that myself.

It's "Haley-speech" for "hahaha"...Ah, thanks. I also read on this board back when I first joined that "gv" is an abbreviation for the German term for sexual intercourse.

Edit: I looked up "sexual" and "intercourse" in my German dictionary and found that the German terms are "geschlechtlich" and "verkehr." Go "gv" would indeed abbreviate "geschlechtlich verkehr."

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-05-23, 07:57 AM
Great!!!

I can really sympathize with Belkar, I've felt like that many times.

In fact I got so drunk 2 weeks ago that I too kissed a random woman, luckily she chose not to seek revenge!..... I think..... maybe she's waiting..... you know "revenge a dish best served cold" and all that..... OH GOD I HOPE SHE DOESN'T READ OOTS..... SOMEONE HELP ME!!!! :o

Where can I get that brand of coffee? Seems like a real pick me up!

PS: FIRST PAGE WHOO HOO!!!! ;D

Just pray she's not a wizard, heh heh.

Good for V...payback's a bitch. ;D

phlip
2006-05-23, 08:00 AM
"gv" is from #303 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=303)...

Mr._Blinky
2006-05-23, 08:08 AM
Short, sweet, and to the point. ;D

5tephen
2006-05-23, 08:09 AM
NICE.

Some one said it perfectly on the first page:
*V love*

Quite a bit of Giant Love going out for this one too- nice stepping around the cliffhanger. Just what was required at this point, I'd say.

U2QueenBee
2006-05-23, 08:12 AM

And shouldn't the comic say 'Roy's sweaty socks?' Or are 'sweat socks' an American term I'm not aware of?

I've probably been simu-ninja-whatever'ed by now but yes, 'sweat socks' is an American term for a type of sporty socks used by athletes and such. So it's not a typo. :) I'm trying to think of the UK equivalent but I don't actually wear them (or buy mens' socks on a regular basis) so I'm struggling! Kind of like walking socks you'd get in an outdoors shop maybe?

Personally, I thought the 'sellout' rooster was the best bit of this strip. But gaaargh! Must... get... closure... on.... Haley and Elan!!

<- not an athlete

carais
2006-05-23, 08:18 AM
OK, so a nice, sophisticated revenge performed by V. Predicted Belkar's action quite precisely.

But. But! What happened with Elan and Haley? ?!? Oh, Rich, you're a cruel one sometimes, letting us wait at least one more day. Thank Thor it's 'Monday', not Wednesday...

/edit: accidentally hit a smiley with that ? ! ? combo. Inserted single ? and two blanks.

carmachu
2006-05-23, 08:20 AM
So its late an its the standard V using explosive runes? Again?

*sigh* 3 more cartoons and hopefully the plot moves on....

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 08:24 AM
I've probably been simu-ninja-whatever'ed by now but yes, 'sweat socks' is an American term for a type of sporty socks used by athletes and such. So it's not a typo. :) I'm trying to think of the UK equivalent but I don't actually wear them (or buy mens' socks on a regular basis) so I'm struggling! Kind of like walking socks you'd get in an outdoors shop maybe?

Personally, I thought the 'sellout' rooster was the best bit of this strip. But gaaargh! Must... get... closure... on.... Haley and Elan!!

<- not an athlete
That probably explains why you don't know that women wear sweat socks too, at least on this side of the pond. ;)

DarkCorax
2006-05-23, 08:24 AM
lol ^^ ok I was wrong about that...

but still great strip! :D

Flak_Razorwill
2006-05-23, 08:26 AM
Well....I DID ask for HE runes.

Patience paid off, did it not?

EDIT: Waitaminit. I thought they were staying at the Sapphire Guard's HQ. It looks like they're staying at some random asian HoJo's.

KayJay
2006-05-23, 08:29 AM
Great! Took me a while to figure out what exactly was happening until I remembered the last strip :)

Eldhrin
2006-05-23, 08:30 AM

<- not an athlete

Well they'd probably be sports socks then... rather than walking socks. I imagine sports socks get a lot sweatier than walking socks, although walking socks would still get pretty damned smelly, and would probably be more suitable for Roy's chosen footwear (even though his feet do appear to differ by at least three shoe sizes).

danielf
2006-05-23, 08:30 AM
it has revenge, coffee and explosive runes. Well done

Aiani
2006-05-23, 08:43 AM
I loved that from Belkar's comment about a dimmer for the sun to the very end. V is so cool and I love that he didn't just get Belkar with explosive runes but also with nasty sweat sock filtered coffee. Double the revenge.

CommanderFalken
2006-05-23, 08:57 AM
Yes, and I don't think we should give those Spiked Tentacles of Forced Instrusion short shrift either. ;)

Oh gods...

THE RETURN OF THE TENTACLES!!!!! THE TENTACLES ARE COMING!!!!!!

Sorry about that. I just ... don't even want to picture the effects of that spell cast on poor Belkar... I mean, it had that much effect on Trigak, a large creature. Imagine poor Belkar!!!!!

Anyhoo, Great comic. I love the return to jokes about violence, smelly socks, and coffee.

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 09:01 AM
Oh gods...

THE RETURN OF THE TENTACLES!!!!! THE TENTACLES ARE COMING!!!!!!

Sorry about that. I just ... don't even want to picture the effects of that spell cast on poor Belkar... I mean, it had that much effect on Trigak, a large creature. Imagine poor Belkar!!!!!

Anyhoo, Great comic. I love the return to jokes about violence, smelly socks, and coffee.
Yes, a truly horrid fate. That's why I suggested it for Belkar. ;D

Antina
2006-05-23, 09:03 AM
V GOT HIM! soo eeeevil!!!

Best part is: "Could have sworn he was taller when he checked in..." ;D

Nekkira
2006-05-23, 09:12 AM
;D Loved it!

Vistanibard
2006-05-23, 09:14 AM
I sooo did not see that coming but I must say

V ROCKS!

Jevanyn
2006-05-23, 09:15 AM
In tonight's show, the part of Vaarsuvius will be played by Jokey Smurf.

Deuce
2006-05-23, 09:24 AM
BOOM!!!

;D ;D ;D

'nuff said.

Brother_Hood
2006-05-23, 09:26 AM
*snerk* Loved it!

Jack Squat
2006-05-23, 09:35 AM
And that's why I don't let anyone else brew my coffee ;)

Great comic though..."your such a sell out" is proabably my favorite line, that or "I pride myself on the attention to detail"

Mouser
2006-05-23, 09:44 AM
So its late an its the standard V using explosive runes? Again?

For a high Int, V. seems to be a one-trick-pony when it comes to deadly practical jokes.

For a sloppy drunken kiss.

That kind of blatant cruelty and revenge demonstrates without a doubt that V. is female.

But where does this attempt at humor come from?

"Heh heh... This time I'll blow up the short guy. That'll be funny. Nobody likes to be kissed."

Right.

fwiffo
2006-05-23, 09:46 AM
I might be having an Elan moment, but I also don't get the "sell out" line. Would someone hit me with a clue-by-4?

chibibar
2006-05-23, 09:46 AM
I think the combination of filtered coffee + explosive rune is just a start :)

More to come I'm sure.. great stuff!! :)

Andiri
2006-05-23, 09:47 AM
I think V should consider marketing Exploding Runes(TM) coffee.

"...for when going back to bed and sleeping it off just isn't an option."

Well, *I*'d buy it.

KayJay
2006-05-23, 09:50 AM
I might be having an Elan moment, but I also don't get the "sell out" line. Would someone hit me with a clue-by-4?
I assume it's related to the fact that the rooster is conforming to a cliche. Considering the other rooster talked, then the other one was equally capable of shouting "WAKE UP!!!" :)

Mouser
2006-05-23, 09:54 AM
I think V should consider marketing Exploding Runes(TM) coffee.

"...for when going back to bed and sleeping it off just isn't an option."

Well, *I*'d buy it.

Suicidal, eh?

Explosive Runes
Abjuration [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One touched object weighing no more than 10 lb.
Duration: Permanent until discharged (D)
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: Yes

You trace these mystic runes upon a book, map, scroll, or similar object bearing written information. The runes detonate when read, dealing 6d6 points of force damage. Anyone next to the runes (close enough to read them) takes the full damage with no saving throw; any other creature within 10 feet of the runes is entitled to a Reflex save for half damage. The object on which the runes were written also takes full damage (no saving throw).

You and any characters you specifically instruct can read the protected writing without triggering the runes. Likewise, you can remove the runes whenever desired. Another creature can remove them with a successful dispel magic or erase spell, but attempting to dispel or erase the runes and failing to do so triggers the explosion.

Note: Magic traps such as explosive runes are hard to detect and disable. A rogue (only) can use the Search skill to find the runes and Disable Device to thwart them. The DC in each case is 25 + spell level, or 28 for explosive runes.

So you want to be blown up every morning with the equivalent of several sticks of dynamite?

That doesn't make sense.

U2QueenBee
2006-05-23, 09:56 AM
That probably explains why you don't know that women wear sweat socks too, at least on this side of the pond. ;)

I probably did know that at one time but I'm old, and my mind's going. (I'm actually an ex-pat Yank living in England, and I've been here long enough now that I'm starting to forget the American names for some things, or not remember whether a particular term is a US or a UK one. Also, I'm blonde.) :P

And Jevanyn, I loved Jokey Smurf! He wasn't in nearly enough episodes. *throws a pie*

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 10:00 AM
I probably did know that at one time but I'm old, and my mind's going. (I'm actually an ex-pat Yank living in England, and I've been here long enough now that I'm starting to forget the American names for some things, or not remember whether a particular term is a US or a UK one. Also, I'm blonde.) :P

And Jevanyn, I loved Jokey Smurf! He wasn't in nearly enough episodes. *throws a pie*
Yeah, I know that thing about the mind going with age. Now, um, what were we talking about?

What's Jokey Smurf? I mean I know what a smurf is. Sort of.
;)

Glorfindel
2006-05-23, 10:00 AM
Great comic again Giant!

Can anyone learn me a Summon Coffee spell? Would save me a lot of time each morning :roll:

tee_kay_one
2006-05-23, 10:03 AM
Ah, thanks. I also read on this board back when I first joined that "gv" is an abbreviation for the German term for sexual intercourse.

Edit: I looked up "sexual" and "intercourse" in my German dictionary and found that the German terms are "geschlechtlich" and "verkehr." Go "gv" would indeed abbreviate "geschlechtlich verkehr."

was zur...?
Aww, "gv" is an abbreviation vor sexual intercourse here in germany??
That might explain why people stare at me when I do the Haley-laugh...
;D

Zalathar
2006-05-23, 10:03 AM
I liked the sumon coffee IV maximized, that was funny. Also the time stop joke. Hehe, not a terrible comic, not funniest evah, but decent.

ShornKnight
2006-05-23, 10:05 AM
And that's why I don't let anyone else brew my coffee ;)
And it's why I don't DRINK coffee, period. :-) That, and I don't want my teeth stained... I'm very protective of these choppers.

Awesome comic, Giant, as always... though I agree that the explosive rune thingy is starting to get a whee bit old. I still enjoyed it immensely, though.

KayJay
2006-05-23, 10:06 AM
Suicidal, eh?

So you want to be blown up every morning with the equivalent of several sticks of dynamite?

That doesn't make sense.
Well, it'd wake you up each morning ::) Makes sense fine to me, obviously not in a literal sense, but a lot of D&D related jokes are because they don't make sense literally- like how you can jump off mountains and survive, for example.

Morchaint
2006-05-23, 10:08 AM
Great comic.
loved the ewwy coffee, and the dimmer on the sun, and
the boom. of a very well thought out revenge.

altho Ill have to have someone explain what the rooster says to me. I dont get it.

edit:

like how you can jump off mountains and survive, for example.

" unlimited slow fall " @ lvl 20 monk ability.
is my prefered method of going off a cliff, and not dying at the bottom.

featherfall works too of course.

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 10:09 AM
was zur...?
;D
lol.

Well, it'd wake you up each morning ::) Makes sense fine to me, obviously not in a literal sense, but a lot of D&D related jokes are because they don't make sense literally- like how you can jump off mountains and survive, for example.

Someone once fell out of a airplane, thousands of feet without a parachute, and survived. He fell through fresh snowfall heaped on trees limbs, which helped cushon the fall. He broke every bone in his body, but he survived. 20d6 points of damage, woo-hoo!

U2QueenBee
2006-05-23, 10:10 AM
Yeah, I know that thing about the mind going with age. Now, um, what were we talking about?

What's Jokey Smurf? I mean I know what a smurf is. Sort of.
;)

Jokey Smurf was one of the characters from the Smurfs cartoon who ran around playing practical jokes on people, like things that would throw pies. He wasn't on very often but he tended to get into trouble and mischief, unsurprisingly. It's been many moons since I watched the Smurfs but as an anklebiter he was one of my favourites.

Dark_Stalion
2006-05-23, 10:14 AM
I think there's only one word for this comic: PRCELESS! :D

altho Ill have to have someone explain what the rooster says to me. I dont get it.
I think Giant is making it known that he doesn't feel that cockerals do go Cockadoodledo and the one which is is only doing it due to pressure from advertising groups. ;) That or I'm talking out of my rear end. ::)

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 10:16 AM
Jokey Smurf was one of the characters from the Smurfs cartoon who ran around playing practical jokes on people, like things that would throw pies. He wasn't on very often but he tended to get into trouble and mischief, unsurprisingly. It's been many moons since I watched the Smurfs but as an anklebiter he was one of my favourites.

Lol. Thanks. That reminds me: did I say that cats are useless? I take it back. My cat is a very efficient ankle-biter. She chases me down the hall as I brush my teeth, biting at my ankles. It's hysterical. (Yes, I walk around while brushing my teeth. ;D)

Speaking of ankle-biters, Belkar sure got his today! Of course I suspect there's more in store. In the meantime, I know a few people to whom I'd like to give some Explosive Runes Coffee! ;)

Overelemental
2006-05-23, 10:17 AM
I didn't like the coffee maker being present in the oots universe, but the rest was good.

TinSoldier
2006-05-23, 10:17 AM
Actually, Jokey Smurf handed out presents to other smurfs (usually Brainy) that exploded when they were opened. They never got wise to it and kept opening the presents anyway.

Comic was okay.

Dark_Stalion
2006-05-23, 10:18 AM
Come on, there's no such thing as an anachorism in the Oots universe.

Freelance Henchman
2006-05-23, 10:19 AM
"Summon Greater Coffee" would be better name I think. How many hit dice would that have ::)

KayJay
2006-05-23, 10:21 AM
I didn't like the coffee maker being present in the oots universe, but the rest was good.
Not sure, but I don't think that's a coffee maker, but a coffee holder. Note how V had to make the coffee by filtering it through Roy's sock.

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 10:21 AM
I think there's only one word for this comic: PRCELESS! :D

Yes, it's the best comic evah!

Ok, so it's not really. I mean, the Battle of the Movie Theater Snack Foods is the best comic ever. But it's not fair to compare any other comic to that one, because in the words of the ancient prophecy:
the popcorn can't be beat. It is best we all remember these wise words lest we end in tragedy.

Ok, the coffee maker bothered you, but the TGI Wednesdays with Buffalo (New York) wings didn't? ;-)

Max_Sinister
2006-05-23, 10:23 AM
V has a streak of evil, hasn't s/he?

Maybe Belkar is lucky and can't remember.

I still don't know V's sex, but can we conclude that s/he doesn't like kisses from males generally, or only from halflings, or only from Belkar? All possible...

"like Elan feels when he wants to subtract" that's a good one. :)

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 10:24 AM
"Summon Greater Coffee" would be better name I think. How many hit dice would that have ::)

I'm thinking 15 HD. Of course you could make a Summon Epic Coffee spell to get more HD of coffee. Has anyone had any epic coffee? ;)

Kanashimi
2006-05-23, 10:26 AM
Okay, upon re-reading, I noticed the quip by the second rooster...

Sellout! Bwah!

charik
2006-05-23, 10:27 AM
Loved it, even though I did roll a 2 or 3 on my knowledge (storytelling) check [see my spoiler thread on this # :-[]. I've long felt that V is the Giant's own personna: her "I pride myself on attention to detail" clinches it for me 8).

Generic replies to others' comments:

We've seen coffee makers before - #81 where Elan is looking for converts to Banjoism. "I'll throw in a free coffee maker." "Does it do espresso?" "No." "NEVER!"

On Belkar kissing V while drunk - people don't do drunk what they wouldn't want to do while sober.

On Roy and Celia - they did the sensible thing and got a room. Her wings don't get damaged while she sleeps because she sleeps on her stomach, although last night it was probably Roy's stomach. ;D

Freelance Henchman
2006-05-23, 10:29 AM
I'm thinking 15 HD. Of course you could make a Summon Epic Coffee spell to get more HD of coffee. Has anyone had any epic coffee? ;)

Maybe there should be "good" and "evil" types of coffee, similar to the "Summon Planetar" and "Summon Dark Planetar" spells too? "Summon Black Coffee" vs. "Summon Coffee With Milk & Two Sugar"? And if it's gone cold, you could simply cast "Resurrect Beverage" to heat it up again!

Krytha
2006-05-23, 10:30 AM
"I prepared explosive runes (early) this morning"

haha! Elan and subtraction? That doesn't add up...

*runs, hides*

Bakta
2006-05-23, 10:30 AM

It isn't as if any mage worth is salt (or sugar) hadn't ever tried to learn the "Summon Greater Elemental of Coffee" spell.

The para Elemental plane of coffee, The Shangri La of all players.

Nowingsforbalrog
2006-05-23, 10:31 AM
wooo hooo!!!! The explosive runes gag is back. I so want to do that in an actuall game.

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 10:35 AM
Not sure, but I don't think that's a coffee maker, but a coffee holder. Note how V had to make the coffee by filtering it through Roy's sock.
Now I confess, as someone who doesn't drink coffee, that I have never made coffee, but I have seen coffee machines, nearly ubiquitous in offices and lounges (and oddly enough, in places coincidentally named "coffee rooms") and they all appear to have some sort of coffee filter. To my uncaffinated eye, at least, they look like oversized doilies, which means that V could probably unlock the secrets of the multiverse from one of them--after replacing it with Roy's sweat socks. ;)

Loved it, even though I did roll a 2 or 3 on my knowledge (storytelling) check [see my spoiler thread on this # :-[]. I've long felt that V is the Giant's own personna: her "I pride myself on attention to detail" clinches it for me 8).
Thus suggesting that V is male. And I have to say, that's definitely a male form of revenge.;)

Generic replies to others' comments:

We've seen coffee makers before - #81 where Elan is looking for converts to Banjoism. "I'll throw in a free coffee maker." "Does it do espresso?" "No." "NEVER!"Good catch!

On Belkar kissing V while drunk - people don't do drunk what they wouldn't want to do while sober.

On Roy and Celia - they did the sensible thing and got a room. Her wings don't get damaged while she sleeps because she sleeps on her stomach, although last night it was probably Roy's stomach. ;D
LOL. That's exactly what I was thinking! ;D

charik
2006-05-23, 10:39 AM
V has a streak of evil, hasn't s/he?
As I like to put it when people tell me "You're bad!", I'm not bad, I'm just evil. 8)

Oh, and another random reply: V might well have been willing to abandon Belkar in the street, but not Durkon; heck, he wouldn't even abandon his former partymembers to their fate when he knew they were trying to get him killed off!

Kanashimi
2006-05-23, 10:41 AM
I can't even imagine what coffee tastes like filtered through a sweatsock. Especially if Roy has "funky Fighter Feet" like Yeagar has.... ewwww

http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/nodwick/nodwick/dungeon/dungeonnodwick05.html

Vetinari
2006-05-23, 10:44 AM
Hi, i'm a long time lurker who never registered before but now I'm really scared so I must ask someone: Why Belkar is talking like he is V?? I mean, all those suggestions about spells, the exclamation "Oh gods" I'm just insane Am I?
Really, I must be insane... Something like kiss someone and then begin talking like Him/Her can't happen... it can't... :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

'm thinking 15 HD. Of course you could make a Summon Epic Coffee spell to get more HD of coffee. Has anyone had any epic coffee? Wink

Yes, I had. When I was 9 I drunk the coffee my mum sell at work (She run a coffee bar, but it's not your type of coffee, I mean the coffe you saw belkar is drinking, because in Italy we drink another type, it's called "espresso", I'm sorry but I don't know how to explain myself better, This is just scholar english, so sorry in advance for my bad grammar...)
I had an horrible, horrible, stomach ache, and then I didn't drink coffe anymore.
::)

zibeck
The elf strikes back!

Pelziges_Ohr
I'm wondering what kind of socks Roy is using.
Anyway, try to imagine the smell of sweaty, hot socks. Wow, overwhelming.

it's called "espresso", I'm sorry but I don't know how to explain myself better, This is just scholar english, so sorry in advance for my bad grammar...)

Actually it's called "Espresso" in german and "espresso" and english.

thehothead
2006-05-23, 10:50 AM

*runs, hides*
wow... bad joke... funny but not by much
I suport :)
plus.. that was a hecka funny comic

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 10:51 AM
Oh, and another random reply: V might well have been willing to abandon Belkar in the street, but not Durkon; heck, he wouldn't even abandon his former partymembers to their fate when he knew they were trying to get him killed off!
Good point. I was going to make it earlier when someone questioned V taking Belkar back to the inn. I'm sure that Durkon or Elan did it. They're not too goodhearted to enjoy a little non-fatal revenge, but I think they're too goodhearted to leave Belkar lying on the street.

molonel
2006-05-23, 10:51 AM
I'd say it was a single stretching for a double, and tagged out at second.

But it's a step in the right direction.

Solmage
2006-05-23, 10:52 AM
Hehe. I knew V would make him pay! Go V!! 8)

On a related note, I need to learn Summon Coffee VII: Maximized, I ran out of coffeee this morning, the horror....!

"Good to the last Boom" - :D .

I forsee that becomming a tagline in some forums...

charik
2006-05-23, 10:52 AM
I can't even imagine what coffee tastes like filtered through a sweatsock.

Unfortunately, I can imagine it. Ever see someone use a soda can as an ashtray? Or worse, ever fail your spot check when someone does that, and then go and drink from said can? :o :-[ :'(

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 10:55 AM
Maybe there should be "good" and "evil" types of coffee, similar to the "Summon Planetar" and "Summon Dark Planetar" spells too? "Summon Black Coffee" vs. "Summon Coffee With Milk & Two Sugar"? And if it's gone cold, you could simply cast "Resurrect Beverage" to heat it up again!
LOL! Actually we already have evil coffee--the Soy Latte from the Battle of the Movie Theater Snack Foods. Virtually anything with soy, indeed, is evil. The lone exception that comes to mind is soy sauce; the ancient Chinese seem to have developed an epic exalted spell that binds soy to the cause of Good. ;D

TinSoldier
2006-05-23, 10:56 AM
Unfortunately, I can imagine it. Ever see someone use a soda can as an ashtray? Or worse, ever fail your spot check when someone does that, and then go and drink from said can? :o :-[ :'(Uggh. Yes. Ash tray and spit can :-X !

Vetinari
2006-05-23, 10:56 AM
Actually it's called "Espresso" in german and "espresso" and english.

Uhm, So espresso it's a universal word for "dangerous potion, must not be drunk without sugar" everywhere in the word... :) Cool ;D

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 10:57 AM

*runs, hides*
LOL.

It isn't as if any mage worth is salt (or sugar) hadn't ever tried to learn the "Summon Greater Elemental of Coffee" spell.

The para Elemental plane of coffee, The Shangri La of all players.

My Shangri-la has gone away...
Faded like the Beatles on 'Hey Jude' ...
Judy baby!

I can't even imagine what coffee tastes like filtered through a sweatsock. Especially if Roy has "funky Fighter Feet" like Yeagar has.... ewwww

http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/nodwick/nodwick/dungeon/dungeonnodwick05.html

Well as our resident coffee conniseur, perhaps you could experiment and get back to us. ;)

stickygoo
2006-05-23, 11:02 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=20

Someone should have reminded Belkar.

Although I'd say he got off pretty easy....

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 11:09 AM
Hi, i'm a long time lurker who never registered before but now I'm really scared so I must ask someone: Why Belkar is talking like he is V?? I mean, all those suggestions about spells, the exclamation "Oh gods" I'm just insane Am I?
Really, I must be insane... Something like kiss someone and then begin talking like Him/Her can't happen... it can't... :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Yes, I had. When I was 9 I drunk the coffee my mum sell at work (She run a coffee bar, but it's not your type of coffee, I mean the coffe you saw belkar is drinking, because in Italy we drink another type, it's called "espresso", I'm sorry but I don't know how to explain myself better, This is just scholar english, so sorry in advance for my bad grammar...)
I had an horrible, horrible, stomach ache, and then I didn't drink coffe anymore.
::)
Hmm. If you were only 9, it might have seemed like epic coffee, but it was probably just the result of a Summon Lesser Coffee spell, or it would have killed you. Now if you can find some coffee that will do that to you as an adult, it might be epic. ;)

I'm pretty sure that American expresso comes from Italian expresso (thus the Italian name) thought being uncaffinated myself, I couldn't swear to it. Indeed it was only this year that I learned that expresso is steamed milk forced through coffee beans, or something along those lines. I confess that I have no idea what milk might have done to merit such a punishment. The same person explained latte to me, but I fear that the horror was too great and I've blanked it out. ;)

I mean, you just gotta love that Evan's spiked tentacles of forced intrusion spell! ;D

Kanashimi
2006-05-23, 11:27 AM
Unfortunately, I can imagine it. Ever see someone use a soda can as an ashtray? Or worse, ever fail your spot check when someone does that, and then go and drink from said can? :o :-[ :'(

EWWWWWW!!! ::hurgle:: ::hurgle:: ::BLAAAARF!::

^oh, and you're partly right. espresso is superheated steam (from water) passed over superfine coffee grounds. The steam condenses in and around the tightly packed grounds and forces out the rich flavors and LOTS of the caffeine. The steamed milk is added later for a latte or cappuchino

sniffles
2006-05-23, 11:28 AM
I love it!!
'Vengeance is sweet, saith the wizard...'
:D

Krytha
2006-05-23, 11:31 AM

Me too... unless V isn't done with cutting him down to ...size?

*hides again*

Xenon
2006-05-23, 11:33 AM
roys socks? hell hath no wrath like a high-level wizard with a grudge!

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 11:34 AM
EWWWWWW!!! ::hurgle:: ::hurgle:: ::BLAAAARF!::

^oh, and you're partly right. espresso is superheated steam (from water) passed over superfine coffee grounds. The steam condenses in and around the tightly packed grounds and forces out the rich flavors and LOTS of the caffeine. The steamed milk is added later for a latte or cappuchino
Yes, mostly likely I have confused expresso with latte or cappuchino. I had two of the three explained to me in the same email, and the tortured horrors clearly melted together in my poor mind. ;)

carais
2006-05-23, 11:35 AM
was zur...?
;D

GV is indeed the abbreviation for Geschlechtsverkehr. However, I'd think you would have to spell it (G V, and German pronunciation, please) for it to be recognized. On the other hand - you never know...

Kanashimi
2006-05-23, 11:39 AM
I personally drink french pressed coffee. Now I'm very glad I do. No mistaking if there's a nasty sock in there!

For those of us at an office with a general coffee maker. . . think about what all could be hiding in the brewing basket. . . do you ever check that before you take a cup?

Not as bad as gym socks, but I once took a cup of coffee, took a sip and something tasted. . .off

I looked in the basket and realized that it had not been cleaned in who knows how long, and there was mold growing under the filter!!!

I will restate: ::hurgle:: ::hurgle:: ::Blaarf!::

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 11:41 AM
I personally drink french pressed coffee. Now I'm very glad I do. No mistaking if there's a nasty sock in there!

Ok, but you're going to get back to us on that sock-filtered brew today, right. I mean, millions of us loyal fans are counting on you, O Great Caffinated One! ;D

Schattendrache
2006-05-23, 11:44 AM

Summon Elder Coffee. Complete with dozens of eyes and tentacles.

Coffthulhu!

Kanashimi
2006-05-23, 11:45 AM
Ok, but you're going to get back to us on that sock-filtered brew today, right. I mean, millions of us loyal fans are counting on you, O Great Caffinated One! ;D

Hee hee, no. I like my coworkers too well to do that. However I will say that using CLEAN pantyhose works well for brewing iced coffee in one of those Mr. Coffee automatic iced tea machines. :)

(Please note emphasis on clean!)

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 11:48 AM
Summon Elder Coffee. Complete with dozens of eyes and tentacles.

Coffthulhu!

LOL! ;D ;D Darn, I wish I'd thought of that!

Hee hee, no. I like my coworkers too well to do that. However I will say that using CLEAN pantyhose works well for brewing iced coffee in one of those Mr. Coffee automatic iced tea machines. :)

(Please note emphasis on clean!)

Can't...breathe...

No, silly, I didn't mean for you to surreptitiously impose sock-coffee on your coworkers. I meant for you, as the coffee conniseur, to try it yourself! Only you have the requisite divine palate for determining the status of sock-coffee for all time, O Great Caffinated One! ;D

geek_2049
2006-05-23, 11:49 AM
V for Vendetta.

Mouser
2006-05-23, 11:59 AM
V for Vendetta.

Also not a very funny comic.

Gunslinger47
2006-05-23, 12:01 PM
The lighting effect in the second panel is very effective and fits well with the comic's visual style. I like to seeing Burlew experiment with various effects.

DISSENT!:

The first six panels contained five jokes, and it felt a little forced.

molonel
2006-05-23, 12:03 PM
DISSENT!:

The first six panels contained five jokes, and it felt a little forced.

*gasp!*

Are you suggesting that this most recent comic is anything less than absolutely perfect?

That could get a lot of people calling you a troll, and suggesting you be banned.

Are you sure you want to take this step?

Because they will dogpile on you, and then claim you started it all.

NovaNightmare
2006-05-23, 12:03 PM
Yay, for sweat socks Coffee, explosions, and hangovers.

humm, gags are nice... story better... Whatever, Cool Comic.

Edit. Spelling!!!!!!!!!!

molonel
2006-05-23, 12:05 PM
How often has V used explosive runes?

Was it twice?

Mouser
2006-05-23, 12:08 PM

Was it twice?

Before this?

Twice, I think.

This makes it the third time. Three is an important number in comedy.

carmachu
2006-05-23, 12:08 PM

Was it twice?

That would be the thrid attempt I believe, Second sucessful one.

1st in the dungeons vs gobbos. Successful.

2nd to the paladin chick, but it got taken away before she read it.

ANd this one.

There might have been a fourth

ShornKnight
2006-05-23, 12:09 PM
Actually, I believe this is the third time... although I'm not too positive about the second time.

*Edit: Darn simulposters... >_>*

NEO|Phyte
2006-05-23, 12:10 PM
don't forget the Orcish stableguy where they kept their horses during the bandit plot-arch, so 4 total, unless there is another we are forgetting

Krytha
2006-05-23, 12:11 PM
There was an episode with V losing his yellow parking ticket. A wizard never does lose his ticket, actually.

Master_Kindel
2006-05-23, 12:13 PM
haha! Go V!...11th page! represent!

molonel
2006-05-23, 12:13 PM
Oh come on, and you call yourselves FANS?

Let's see some comic numbers.

Krytha
2006-05-23, 12:16 PM
Sadly, I do not have the entire comic memorized by episode number and content.

n11
2006-05-23, 12:18 PM

Was it twice?

#92 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=92), #173 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=173), #221 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=221), #317 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=317).

About once every 80 comics.

Edit:

Oh come on, and you call yourselves FANS?

Let's see some comic numbers.
Happy to oblige. ;D

Solmage
2006-05-23, 12:20 PM
Maybe there should be "good" and "evil" types of coffee, [..] "Summon Black Coffee" vs. "Summon Coffee With Milk & Two Sugar"? And if it's gone cold, you could simply cast "Resurrect Beverage" to heat it up again!

*chuckle*

On a totally unrelated note, I'm sort of hoping this was only phase one of the planned revenge. Suggestion/Dominate mind (Does Belkar even get a saving's throw? I mean, you need int/wis for that.. ;)) his behind, and have him go kiss Miko's horse or something. Or heh, better yet, Miko! Double Revenge! :D

Gunslinger47
2006-05-23, 12:23 PM
Sadly, I do not have the entire comic memorized by episode number and content.
And that is why, on the eighth day, God created Stickies.

Through the Imporant and Reoccuring (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1129795973 ) thread, you can find the Incredible OotS index (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1122330887 ). It is a little behind, but works wonderfully for finding comics up until the Order's arrival in Azure.

molonel
2006-05-23, 12:30 PM
Happy to oblige. ;D

You da man.

Mouser
2006-05-23, 12:34 PM
You da man.

That's three.

sugarmouse121
2006-05-23, 12:45 PM
There was an episode with V losing his yellow parking ticket. A wizard never does lose his ticket, actually.

heh heh heh... I remember that one!

"I have located my ticket"

"See? That wasn't so hard, was it?

Hey, this isn't a claim ticket! It's just a piece of paper that says "I prepared Explosive Runes this morn- AAH!"

"Your horse, sir or madam."

"A wizard never loses their ticket."

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 12:46 PM
*chuckle*

On a totally unrelated note, I'm sort of hoping this was only phase one of the planned revenge. Suggestion/Dominate mind (Does Belkar even get a saving's throw? I mean, you need int/wis for that.. ;)) his behind, and have him go kiss Miko's horse or something. Or heh, better yet, Miko! Double Revenge! :D
Both dominate person and dominate monster allow Will saves. Beklar has a low Wisdom, however, so he has a good chance of failing. ;)

Krytha
2006-05-23, 12:50 PM
Both dominate person and dominate monster allow Will saves. Beklar has a low Wisdom, however, so he has a good chance of failing. ;)

I think V will end up casting dominate monster if it comes to that...

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 12:51 PM
I think V will end up casting dominate monster if it comes to that...

Heh, I can hardly wait!

Archonic Energy
2006-05-23, 12:57 PM
*Dominate*

eat this sock...

LoH
2006-05-23, 01:09 PM
The para Elemental plane of coffee, The Shangri La of all players. A friend of mine had a character that shifted to the plane of chocolate all the time.

Explosive Runes has to be one of my favorite spells that V uses repeatedly.

Nothing like giving an enemy a piece of paper that says "I prepared Explosive Runes this morning."

Although I have a feeling that V's found a way to modify the damage of the spell (in increments of D6) or knows how to fudge his dice (as he's tried to kill Miko once before with it before being stopped by Roy).

I cropped and printed out the last 6 panels to put up around my desk at work.

Gunslinger47
2006-05-23, 01:19 PM
There is a common misconception amoung D&D players who I have gamed with about the Dominate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dominatePerson.htm) spells. That misconception being that it is a good spell for battle. It's not. The spell has Close range and full round casting time. If anyone on the other team has Spellcraft, it can be easily countered. If only by having the target fall back out of the spell's range.

If you have a full round and a 5th level spell-slot to burn, you'd be better off just hitting them with Mind Fog (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mindFog.htm), then following up with a lower level spell like Deep Slumber (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/deepSlumber.htm) or Hold Person (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/holdPerson.htm).

Schattendrache
2006-05-23, 01:20 PM
Explosive Runes is a fun way of carrying around extra firepower -- you can prepare them in advance, so there's no reason not to have half a dozen or more charged pieces of paper ready to be left out conspicuously, handed to someone, 'dropped', or tacked to the wall.

Although my arcanists have always just gone the simple route of 'BOOM' on the paper, rather than the more witty 'I prepared Explosive Runes this morning'....

Krytha
2006-05-23, 01:22 PM
When it says "Read explosive runes" do you actually have to be able to comprehend or even recognize the symbols? Or is a cursory glance enough to activate them?

Shalaina
2006-05-23, 01:26 PM
Explosive runes always make me laugh, it's like a reflex ;).
And I agree with Durkon, the socks added a nice twist :D. Go go V!

LoH
2006-05-23, 01:32 PM
When it says "Read explosive runes" do you actually have to be able to comprehend or even recognize the symbols? Or is a cursory glance enough to activate them?

I think it takes actual 'reading', at least in the Giant's world. And there's just enough lag time between the reading and the boom for comedic effect.

References:
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=220 (the attempt to blow up Miko with the alternate bill of services)

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=221 (Belkar and the boom)

Ravens_Wing
2006-05-23, 01:33 PM
WooHoo!

New Comic!

Poor Belkar is gonna have a hard several days i think!
Go V! Revenge is a gift best served cold... or with Explosive Runes which ever you prefer.

infiniteviking
2006-05-23, 01:37 PM
Aaaahahahaha! Yes yes YES!

Vaarsuvius PWNS! A thing well done is a joy forever. What a lovely comic to wake up to. Yay for Explosive Runes!

The choice of prank also says something about his character. Explosive Runes is practically V's signature spell; Belkar now knows exactly who destroyed his morning brew. It takes a confident prankster to mark his work so clearly.

I very much doubt that this is the only bit of retaliation we'll be seeing in the next few episodes. Explosive Runes (and even Roy's sweat socks) can't represent the limits of an aggrieved elf's creative acrimony. He's not even gloating.... that's a very bad sign. ;D

*wonders where V got a pair of Roy's sweat socks*

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 01:37 PM

The Player's Handbook says that explosive runes detonate when read.

molonel
2006-05-23, 01:39 PM

You can read the spell description here:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/explosiveRunes.htm

Gunslinger47
2006-05-23, 01:41 PM
*wonders where V got a pair of Roy's sweat socks*
Off a doorknob, perhaps? :-X

Holy_Knight
2006-05-23, 01:45 PM
In tonight's show, the part of Vaarsuvius will be played by Jokey Smurf.
LOL! Very nice, Jevanyn! :)

I liked the way the sunlight looked, especially in panel 3. That's a nice effect. The trademark symbol next to "Explosive Runes" was a good touch, too.

Mouser
2006-05-23, 01:47 PM

I also posted it earlier on this thread.

Archonic Energy
2006-05-23, 01:50 PM
Off a doorknob, perhaps? :-X

damn i wish i had my OotS:otOoPCs to hand...

what was Roy's roomates code for the room being 'occupied'?

molonel
2006-05-23, 01:50 PM
I also posted it earlier on this thread.

I knew that.

Because, you know, we're the same person.

Supposedly.

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 01:52 PM
LOL! Very nice, Jevanyn! :)

I liked the way the sunlight looked, especially in panel 3. That's a nice effect. The trademark symbol next to "Explosive Runes" was a good touch, too.

The depiction of sunlight didn't do much for me, but then I can't draw a decent stick-figure, so who am I to criticize? ;D I did, however, love the trademark. :D

Edit: Woot! Lucky page 13! ;)

Gunslinger47
2006-05-23, 01:56 PM
/me looks it up.
A scabbard.

More than you ever cared to know can be found on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexile

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 02:00 PM
/me looks it up.
A scabbard.

More than you ever cared to know can be found on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexile

Wow. Kids these days with their funny jargon. In my day you just found an unoccupied side-cave. ;)

saraswati
2006-05-23, 02:08 PM
I like the detail on the label for Explosive Runes brand (tm).

But I have to concur, we must have more revenge. For a wizard who blew his/her top when he/she thought Elan was mocking wizards, a single explosion is hardly sufficient. I am absolutely looking forward to further tormenting of Belkar. (And Belkar is my favorite character, so I say that with love, LOL).

I think he needs another round of owl's wisdom, followed by crushing despair, followed by owl's wisdom again. ;D

Also, if I were Belkar, I would never read anything again, ever. LOL.

The Glitter Ninja
2006-05-23, 02:20 PM
Revenge: It's What's For Breakfast.

That was awesome. I'm really excited about seeing everyone's morning, although I think we all know where Roy is. :-*

Zann
2006-05-23, 02:36 PM
*wubs comic*

Great job, Giant. Another brilliant punch-line.

Albion
2006-05-23, 02:55 PM
THIS MADE MY DAY! ;D Haven't said anything that strong about a strip before, I think, btw. One of my very favourites! Everything was great and kept improving, that's really all I have to say. So satisfactory. :-*

fwiffo
2006-05-23, 02:57 PM

Something tells me that following this link and reading that description is liable to have unfortunate consequences. I'll be happy to read any other spell description, but this one... I'll see if I can find someone to read it to me. :)

Nasrudith
2006-05-23, 03:07 PM
Great comic, from the begining sellout comic, to the end explosive runes.

DOOM2099
2006-05-23, 03:09 PM
YES!

YES!

YES!

The unexpected return of the explosive runes!

W00000t!!!!111ONE!!!!

Felinoid
2006-05-23, 03:29 PM
LMAO! ;D ;D ;D This one definitely makes it into the favorites (15 and counting). Some might not find the fifth iteration of ER funny (I count the failure on Miko and the subsequent Belkar-splosion separately), but my mean streak in humor is finding a reason to wail on an ally. Mostly because I never did it in play myself. ;) And the other jokes take this one over the top.

EDIT:
Excellent comic, and Haleycypher free. Only 2 left...

The_Kobold_Hero
2006-05-23, 03:36 PM
YAY! Exploding Folgers Explosive Rune's coffee!

I liked the math comment to. ;D

Ghosthunter
2006-05-23, 03:51 PM
I never reallized how much I missed "Explosive Runes"! :D

GM_West
2006-05-23, 03:51 PM
Hilarious comic, as usual! It was a forgone conclusion that V would find revenge against Belkar quickly and forcefully... I think I've actually tasted coffee filtered with someone's dirty sock before. Probably at Mickey D's or someplace like that, I'd imagine.

Still though... something about Belkar's mutterings in the morning are disturbing. It really sounds too much like something V would be thinking. I'm wondering if we'll see something unexpected sprout from this oddity?

n11
2006-05-23, 04:01 PM
It just occurred to me: Why isn't V also upset at Durkon. Sure, Belkar is irresponsible, but predictably so. Durkon encouraged Belkar to enter his "impaired" state, and Durkon could (should) have been able to predict some bad outcome (as V did at "eight" of the countdown) from inviting Belkar to join this dwarven counting ritual.

Of course, Durkon may have known this, and also may have known that V would not have the wisdom to blame Durkon, so Durkon could have instigated this whole thing for his amusement.

It certainly casts Durkon in a different light. :)

Faramir
2006-05-23, 04:01 PM
To quote Vaarsuvious: "This certainly promises to spiral out of control..." :)

Arkadian
2006-05-23, 04:08 PM
New comic is up.

Classic Rich pure classic

had people in my office wondering what was wrong with me when I fell out of my office chair laughing.

CelestialStick
2006-05-23, 04:22 PM
It just occurred to me: Why isn't V also upset at Durkon. Sure, Belkar is irresponsible, but predictably so. Durkon encouraged Belkar to enter his "impaired" state, and Durkon could (should) have been able to predict some bad outcome (as V did at "eight" of the countdown) from inviting Belkar to join this dwarven counting ritual.

Of course, Durkon may have known this, and also may have known that V would not have the wisdom to blame Durkon, so Durkon could have instigated this whole thing for his amusement.

Oh, goodness, Durkon certainly isn't sneaky like that. He drank and encouraged others to drink because that's what dwarves do.

yuccadude
2006-05-23, 04:25 PM
I'd like to know how Belkar managed to pull down the coffee thing without it tipping over and scalding him and to also get a cup off of the tall stack of coffee cups... most interesting

NeonBlack
2006-05-23, 04:53 PM
I'd like to know how Belkar managed to pull down the coffee thing without it tipping over and scalding him and to also get a cup off of the tall stack of coffee cups... most interesting

Ring of Jumping +20? ;D.

BlythraB
2006-05-23, 05:14 PM
ha ha! loved it!
I myself have often wished for a dimmer switch on the sun.
only one question: ROY HAS SWEATSOCKS?

Morden
2006-05-23, 05:19 PM
Okay, my thoughts on this comic.

There was a few good one-liners that amused me:
"dimmer switch on the sun"
"tries to do subtraction"
"could have sworn he was taller"

But there wasn't really a joke, story-line advancement, characterisation or even a good punch-line.

It definitely wasn't "one of the funniest comics I've read" or "Extremely clever" or "hilarious".
Hell, it wasn't even a "Brilliantly exacted revenge", it was trite and predictable.

Still, it got a smirk, and that's more or less what I expect from OotS these days... which is quite sad, since it used to at least get a smile, if not always a laugh.

Shea Landford
2006-05-23, 05:40 PM
It was a very good comic. I am sad I wasn't able to get on the computer yesterday to read it, and so now I guess I am on the 14th page. No wonder Belkar is so short, even for a halfling. I liked the interesting use of explosive runes. But I wonder if Belkar survived the explosion. Hopefully he did, since he is one of the major comic relief parts of the group. Very great comic.

Gunslinger47
2006-05-23, 05:44 PM
*Le gasp!* More dissent! ... I agree somewhat.

But there wasn't really a [...] good punch-line.

I think you'd have a hard time arguing that there was no good punchline, especially relative to the rest of the comic. Similar to Penny-Arcade, and unlike comics in the Sunday Paper, the biggest laughs of OotS are not necessarily found in the last panel. If you scan through the archives, it'll be rare to find a instance where Burlew builds up to a punchline.

Except in #314 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=314). That was unexpected. :)

Morden
2006-05-23, 05:50 PM
Well, the whole quote is:

But there wasn't really a joke, story-line advancement, characterisation or even a good punch-line.
If there had been any of the other items on my list, I could have been satisfied (probably not, but hey).
Since there weren't, I damn well expect something snappy in the last panel.

saraswati
2006-05-23, 06:07 PM

I don't agree with this. For a dwarf, (at least in the D&D / LOTR universe) drinking seems to be a necessary as breathing. And it also seems that getting drunk is acceptable, but also probably happens much later, due to legendary alcohol tolerance.

That being said, I don't think that ANYONE, fictional or real, could have predicted that Belkar would kiss V. That's what made the strip funny, IMO.

Holy_Knight
2006-05-23, 06:31 PM

Remember, Durkon did tell Belkar he should probably slow down, so it seems pretty unlikely that he was trying to set him up to do something like that. Besides, that wouldn't really fit with what we've seen of his personality so far.

Winged One
2006-05-23, 06:37 PM
Revenge: It's What's For Breakfast.

That was awesome. I'm really excited about seeing everyone's morning, although I think we all know where Roy is. :-*
I was going to do that one! ;D

AzSteven
2006-05-23, 06:57 PM
Vengeance is a drink best served filtered...

KaosDevice
2006-05-23, 07:11 PM
The sell out thing at the top of the stip really made me laugh. thanks Rich.

Nightfall
2006-05-23, 07:15 PM
Revenge is a dish that is best served cold. Or hot with 2 cups of cream and 3 sugar cubes. Awesome comic Giant.

Or with Explosive Runes brand coffee! Look for it at your neighborhood grocery!

Spit_Dog
2006-05-23, 07:23 PM

It certainly casts Durkon in a different light.

Maybe Durkon, being so far from home on a holiday, was just feeling lonesome and wanted someone with whom he could engage in a good old culturally-based drinking game.

Ghosthunter
2006-05-23, 07:33 PM
Well, the whole quote is:
If there had been any of the other items on my list, I could have been satisfied (probably not, but hey).
Since there weren't, I damn well expect something snappy in the last panel.

Then you might well consider writing your own comic. Can you honestly tell me you could do better? If, (as I suspect) you cannot, sit down and shut up. If you think you can, go off, build a web-comic that's just as successful as Rich's, and prove it. No offense intended. :-/

Morden
2006-05-23, 07:42 PM
Can you honestly tell me you could do better?
No, I can't. But we know that Rich can.

Sit down and shut up? Just because I don't think the comic is as good as it used to be?
What's next? Goose-stepping?

[edit] Help! I'm being oppressed!

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-05-23, 07:43 PM
"Must be what Elan feels like when he tries to do subtraction."

ROTFLMAO!!!

carmachu
2006-05-23, 07:45 PM
Then you might well consider writing your own comic. Can you honestly tell me you could do better? If, (as I suspect) you cannot, sit down and shut up. If you think you can, go off, build a web-comic that's just as successful as Rich's, and prove it. No offense intedned

Actually you VERY MUCH intended offense.

Why is it if your not a fanboy, your opinion is invalid?

For movies and TV and Books that garner your attention, if you dont like them , for whatever reason , are YOU going to do your own movie, TV program, or wriet a book?

I thought not.

CharedTheCinder
2006-05-23, 07:58 PM
LOL loved Belkar's line of "wizards can stop time, why no dimmer switch on the sun" (that was paraphrasing)
Great Job Rich!

Maxis_IronForge
2006-05-23, 08:00 PM

For movies and TV and Books that garner your attention, if you dont like them , for whatever reason , are YOU going to do your own movie, TV program, or wriet a book?

I thought not.

You know very well that it is near impossible to make a movie without budget, challenging someone to make a webcomic on the other hand is perfectly valid.

How would you feel if you created a brilliantly successful thing, and people kept telling you "oh come on, you can do better than this!"

Whilst I admit that being a 2 dimensional fanboy is nothing to be proud of, neither is being a 2 dimensional critic.

The problem with most OOTS critics is not that you don't enjoy the comic, but that you're too impatient. If you can't stand reading a strip that doesn't address your immediate concerns in the plot, then stop reading it online and wait for a backlog of unread strips to build up. COme back in 6 months and you'll get your fix.

Morden
2006-05-23, 08:04 PM
And making a webcomic doesn't cost money?

And btw: I'm very much a 3-D critic. Anybody weighing over 200 lbs can not be called 2-D.

IronMan
2006-05-23, 08:05 PM

I thought not.

Agreed, he had to intend some offense, otherwise he wouldn't have said it. Listen, this is simple; everyone has a right to an opinion. Rich probably likes hearing good and bad opinions because they let him know how he's doing. If he only gets good opinions, it won't make him any better. He has to have negative criticism to "evolve" his skills. (Although the comic itself kicks ass.) He has to have positive to let him know what he's doing right.

I agree a little bit more with Morden. The comic is not as good as past ones. I did like the "sellout" bit, and of course the entire explosive runes thing, but anything else I didn't find that funny.

In other words, I laughed, but I didn't really feel satisfied after reading it, like I normally do. But that's fine, it was still okay. Rich is one of my favorite web-comic authors, but lately his work hasn't been up to it's usual goodness.

However, I disagree about the punchline. One doesn't really need a punchline for every joke. Some jokes are funny by themselves.

Either way, Lich boy's army is on the way, which should provide for entertainment soon.

geez3r
2006-05-23, 08:05 PM
This comic has proven two things beyond a shadow of a doubt:

1. The Giant uses really good material to make really good jokes.*

2. V = awesome.

* As a side note, this makes 317 times the Giant has proved his awesomeness.

Krytha
2006-05-23, 08:07 PM
Either way, Lich boy's army is on the way, which should provide for entertainment soon.

Who is lichboy and what does this mean?........

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-05-23, 08:09 PM
Who is lichboy and what does this mean?........

Xykon the Lich and his fell army of undead and hobgoblins is headed for Azure City...and we're awaiting it with baited breath.

Morden
2006-05-23, 08:09 PM
One doesn't really need a punchline for every joke. Some jokes are funny by themselves.
True, but there isn't really a joke in this strip at all. Funny comments? Yes. Joke? No.

I mean, c'mon! We all knew V was gonna get Belkar somehow, but exploding runes? Old stuff.

Felinoid
2006-05-23, 08:12 PM
Then you might well consider writing your own comic. Can you honestly tell me you could do better? If, (as I suspect) you cannot, sit down and shut up. If you think you can, go off, build a web-comic that's just as successful as Rich's, and prove it. No offense intended. :-/
*sigh* And here I was hoping this thread would stay clean after the creation of the other thread. :-/ A little friendly warning: telling someone to "shut up" is specifically forbidden in the Rules of Posting. Even qualifying it doesn't help.

And for the first time since I've been here, the conflict has NOT been started by people on the other side. Morden was quite polite in his criticism, and there was no reason to turn on him like that. Especially when pointing out something you think he missed (i.e. "... a joke, story-line advancement, characterisation or even a good punch-line.") would have been SO much better a contradicting response. This incident only furthers the claims of their side of the debate, and ultimately hurts the very point you were trying to make.

For those who would defend this: Don't. Just don't. Even in your outrage you know he's wrong. There was definitely a better way to say it, and even if one couldn't have been found, the best thing to do would have been not to say anything in the first place. Not that most people actually do what's best for them...

Morden
2006-05-23, 08:14 PM
Thank you Felinoid.

If someone can point out something I missed, that would be great. I really do want to like the comic as much as I used to...

Krytha
2006-05-23, 08:18 PM
Xykon the Lich and his fell army of undead and hobgoblins is headed for Azure City...and we're awaiting it with baited breath.

Oh hahaha that slipped my mind completely. Whoops... :-[

charik
2006-05-23, 08:18 PM
damn i wish i had my OotS:otOoPCs to hand...

sheath.

"You know the code, man!" >:(

"I guess this means you don't want to go out." :-/

IronMan
2006-05-23, 08:21 PM
True, but there isn't really a joke in this strip at all. Funny comments? Yes. Joke? No.

I mean, c'mon! We all knew V was gonna get Belkar somehow, but exploding runes? Old stuff.

I agree, these didn't really have any good "jokes", but I did find the funny comments somewhat funny. But still, what is better than exploding runes? He just had a hang over, has gotten hit with them before, (and hates them.) and he didn't expect it. It was even put in a new way. Just out of curiousity, do you have any other ways V coulda gotten revenge? Not the same as the "MAKE YOUR OWN WEB COMIC" thing from the other guy. I honestly want to hear your ideas on what would have been funny.

Morden
2006-05-23, 08:24 PM
Don't they still have that belt of gender-swapping?
Oh wait! Belkar has some kinda feat for "disturbing mental images" doesn't he? Don't wanna go there...

Let's just say there's a reason I don't make my own comic, shall we?

IronMan
2006-05-23, 08:25 PM
Oh wait! Belkar has some kinda feat for "disturbing mental images" doesn't he? Don't wanna go there...

EDIT: Accidently hit the post button.

Anyway, it's fine if you don't have anything better. I liked the Exploding Runes thing because it was a recurring gag. It's V's signature move sorta. Plus, it's something the person walks into.

wolf_mage
2006-05-23, 08:26 PM

... which doesn't preclude you from knowing what you find funny and what you don't.

carmachu
2006-05-23, 08:29 PM
This comic has proven two things beyond a shadow of a doubt:

1. The Giant uses really good material to make really good jokes.*

2. V = awesome.

* As a side note, this makes 317 times the Giant has proved his awesomeness.

You have something on your nose.

Felinoid
2006-05-23, 08:30 PM
You know very well that it is near impossible to make a movie without budget, challenging someone to make a webcomic on the other hand is perfectly valid.

How would you feel if you created a brilliantly successful thing, and people kept telling you "oh come on, you can do better than this!"

Honestly? I would feel challenged to make my webcomic better. Which you freely admit is "perfectly valid". :P Criticism is not inherently a bad thing. It can be presented in bad ways (which has not been done yet in this thread), but ultimately it can also be very helpful.

That being said...

The problem with most OOTS critics is not that you don't enjoy the comic, but that you're too impatient. If you can't stand reading a strip that doesn't address your immediate concerns in the plot, then stop reading it online and wait for a backlog of unread strips to build up. COme back in 6 months and you'll get your fix.

^ This is also perfectly valid. If you feel the comic is progressing slowly, don't check back so often; you're only adding to your disappointment. And before someone jumps on that, it is NOT saying you should depart the boards. Find your way into some of the other forums (while still keeping a foot in here), and enjoy everything that the OotS message boards have to offer. :) Link or bookmark straight to the boards so that you don't go through the comic page, and you can build up several of them to enjoy all at once.

What's the ruling on reviving old comic discussion threads? (The ones that haven't been locked, I mean.) Like if you took a little sabbatical and wanted to say something on a comic after you came back?

But if you can't stop looking every couple hours on Monday and Friday, that's your problem, and not the author's. If anything, it signifies that he has done his job extraordinarily well to get you so hooked. Remember that you're checking so often on your own recognizance, not by anyone forcing you. Remember that YOU are the one doing this. It's not the Giant's fault that you cannot wait, or that you are impatient. As much as it may be easier to lay the blame on the Giant for cutting back, or for the unfortunate coincidence that it is happening during character development, it is not his fault. "The fault, my friends, lies not in our stars, but in ourselves."

IronMan
2006-05-23, 08:31 PM

Alas, I must make a silly joke. A finger perhaps? That IS a disgusting habit, but eh...in relation to the comic though, do you have any opinions on what would have been better than the exploding runes?

charik
2006-05-23, 08:39 PM

;D ;D ;D
[edit for any who don't get the joke: there was a comic in one of the magazines about a dwarf who had gotten a death spell cast so that a touch of his finger would discharge it; after a long monologue on the power he now possessed, the rogue told him that line.]

What sets this apart from previous uses of Explosive Runes is that V set it up to get him to read something he would normally have no reason to even glance at. It's the attention to the details that makes it revenge instead of just a trap.

Morden
2006-05-23, 08:41 PM
... which doesn't preclude you from knowing what you find funny and what you don't.
It might not be much of a sense of humour, but it's my own, indeed.

IronMan
2006-05-23, 08:42 PM
Pretty much. That's why I liked this one. Although it wasn't the best of Richard's work, it was still a good one. It wasn't the worst, certainly.

Morden
2006-05-23, 08:44 PM
That much, we can agree on.

carmachu
2006-05-23, 09:08 PM
Alas, I must make a silly joke. A finger perhaps? That IS a disgusting habit, but eh...in relation to the comic though, do you have any opinions on what would have been better than the exploding runes?

The socks and coffee had me giggling, but I've come to expect V and explosive runes....

Bakta
2006-05-23, 09:23 PM
Uhm, So espresso it's a universal word for "dangerous potion, must not be drunk without sugar" everywhere in the word... :) Cool ;D

Coffee WITH sugar ?, fine for coffee from the evil planes of cat-pregnacy-test-leftover, a real shame with good one.

IronMan
2006-05-23, 09:23 PM
Yeah, the sweat socks made it even better. I really liked it because of that too.

Finwe
2006-05-23, 09:52 PM
I personally enjoyed the comic, but I, too, feel that V and explosive runes are starting to get a bit old. Its a running gag, true, but explosive runes has come to be something that is expected from V, rather than a pleasent (well, perhaps not very pleasent from a certain halfling's POV;)) surprise.

TinSoldier
2006-05-23, 09:55 PM
I personally enjoyed the comic, but I, too, feel that V and explosive runes are starting to get a bit old. Its a running gag, true, but explosive runes has come to be something that is expected from V, rather than a pleasent (well, perhaps not very pleasent from a certain halfling's POV;)) surprise.I don't think the fact that it's a running gag makes it less funny in this case, but the fact that it was expected. Yes, I read the spoiler threads but I still think it was kind of an obvious prediction.

Other times V has used Explosive Runes have been less expected.

Ghosthunter
2006-05-23, 10:04 PM
I stand corrected. I'm not so closed-minded as to not be able to admit I was wrong.

My main issue with the whole thing was that in this situation (and other free for your enjoyment type things) I've noticed a number of people who seem to feel as though they should tear it apart, or at very least think they know better than the author/designer/whatever and want him to know it. I see now that was not the case here.

Offence was not my intention at all, and to those of you who were offended, I appologize.

idksocrates
2006-05-23, 10:38 PM
This :o... this is insane! :o

It used to take a missing friday comic and then the entire weekend to make 17 pages of commentary, but now I can't even get into the top TEN pages reading the comic the next DAY!

**collapses in exhaustion and frustration**

very funny comic though.

Tobimaro
2006-05-23, 10:45 PM
Good comic. Glad to see that V was not mad about the evening before. ;)

And Belkar kinda deserved the treatment. If only for past actions.

And I too liked the return of the Explosive Runes.

Grovar

charik
2006-05-23, 11:38 PM
I personally enjoyed the comic, but I, too, feel that V and explosive runes are starting to get a bit old. Its a running gag, true, but explosive runes has come to be something that is expected from V, rather than a pleasent (well, perhaps not very pleasent from a certain halfling's POV;)) surprise.
But how many of us play our characters without handling situations using what we've learned works before? V wants to hurt Belkar but not kill him, and therefore she is limited in what spells she can use for her vengence.

Monzz
2006-05-24, 02:01 AM
*giggles* Esplody.

Wonderful comic, thanks Giant. I happen to love V's explosive runes. :D

Gary_Howard
2006-05-24, 02:55 AM
You know, I still don't get the "Sell-out" joke, though.

****-a-doodle-doo is so classic rooster!

Did someone.. pay him to say it? With corn? Is this a rooster advertising agent, just spewing out another rooster slogan?

**** a doodle do! **** two if you're feeling ambitious! Don't just leave those doodle doos laying about the place!

That's starting to sound kind of dirty, so it's time for bed.

Seriously, though.. I don't think I'm getting it.