PDA

View Full Version : Novel with pirates, suggestions?

Fascisticide
2007-09-08, 01:03 AM
It's my friend's birthday party tomorrow, I don't really need to give him a gift but I thought a book would be nice.

And for reasons related to an inside joke, a book featuring pirates would be the best. But I don't know any. So I'm looking for suggestions, especially if you think I a chance to find it in a bookstore tomorrow!

TheThan
2007-09-08, 01:22 AM
How about one of those cheesy dime store romance novels. I’m sure you can find one with pirates in it.

Aside from the classic Treasure Island, I can’t think of any off the top of my head.

Kaelaroth
2007-09-08, 07:31 AM
Hmmm... If he's a kid, I can suggest the Vampirates series, or the Edge Chronicles. They can be enjoyed by adults too, but meant for kidlets.

Haven't read any adult piratical novels... Apart from Treasure Island of course.

Glawackus
2007-09-08, 11:26 AM
On Stranger Tides, by Tim Powers. Fantasy-historical fiction that puts Pirates of the Caribbean to shame.

Rare Pink Leech
2007-09-08, 02:42 PM
I'm sure you could also find a Pirates of the Caribbean novelisation, considering how much other merchandise I've seen for it.

Alternately, just head down to your bookstore and ask somebody. Staff at bookstores are usually pretty helpful and knowledgable, in my experience. That, or search for "pirates" on the store's computer, if it's one of the big box book stores.

Kalharis
2007-09-08, 06:10 PM
On Stranger Tides, by Tim Powers. Fantasy-historical fiction that puts Pirates of the Caribbean to shame.

I second this novel, it has everything... The pistols, the swords, the voodoo and the rum, lots and lots of rum.

bosssmiley
2007-09-09, 10:36 AM

That would be good. Or you could get one of the facsimile reproductions of Esquemalin's "Lives of the Pirates" that are out. That's a fun read. Or get him a nice copy of the original "Treasure Island" or Cawthorne's "A History of Pirates".

Heck, our local Waterstones (the British Barnes and Nobles for the unenlightened) has a whole subsection of the history dept devoted to them. :smallcool:

Revlid
2007-09-09, 11:47 AM
"Fell Cargo", by Dan Abnett?

The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster probably comes under "pirate-related materials". It has a chapter on "What Would a Pirate Do?"

TimeWizard
2007-09-09, 12:01 PM
Captain Blood is a huge milestone is pirate literature. I think it was also the first pirate movie ever or something.

Fascisticide
2007-09-09, 12:40 PM
Finally, I asked for a couple of the books you suggested but none was currently available wither in english or french (I live in Quebec, and the bookstore I went to is mostly french).
But I found a great historical book on pirates, which is mostly about the influence they had on the various events that shaped the world. My friend was really happy

But I'll be sure to check out your suggestions in other bookstores that may have more chances to have these books.