PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest Perpetual Flight?

magicalmagicman
2018-06-14, 06:20 AM
Preferably via spells or outsiders (i use planar binding) rather than items. I want my Hydra Effigy to carry me into the air forever! I gave him mechanical wings for aesthetic purposes but now I want him to actually fly.

Fly and Mass Fly is too short duration.
Overland Flight is personal range
Wind Walk is not what I'm looking for as the effigy cannot carry me during flight.

Winged Mask if a FR book which isn't allowed in my current campaign.
Phoenix Cloak is too expensive. Looking for cheaper options which is why I made this thread!

I don't know any outsiders that can grant fly at-will. If you know of one, please tell me! This would solve my problem!

Uncle Pine
2018-06-14, 07:02 AM
Make an effigy of a half-dragon hydra instead. Compared to a normal hydra effigy it will be able to fly at twice its base land speed and cost a whopping extra of 0 gp.

Darrin
2018-06-14, 07:04 AM
Fiendish Graft: Feathered Wings (Fiend Folio p. 210) costs 10,000 GP.

If your hydra has feats available, or you can swap them around via psychic reformation/dark chaos shuffle, you might be able to add some flight via soulmelds: Airstep Sandals, Manticore Belt, or Pegasus Cloak.

noob
2018-06-14, 07:16 AM
Buy that item that casts tenser floating disk at will and make the hydra spend half its time using that item for making disks for carrying itself(since it needs a lot of disks to carry itself).
Congratulation you have the cheapest flight.
It just have a bunch of restrictions like being unable to go lower and needing more disks for higher flight and so on but if all you want is to hover 60 feet above the ground it is possibly manageable.

Nifft
2018-06-14, 10:35 AM
Fiendish Graft: Feathered Wings (Fiend Folio p. 210) costs 10,000 GP.

Terms and conditions may apply, your sanity and alignment not guaranteed.

Yeah they're cheap and awesome and I love them, but they do cost Wis damage every day, or some ham-fisted alignment shift fluff (which can become crunch if your DM enforces anything even vaguely good-faith).

Malimar
2018-06-14, 10:39 AM

Yeah they're cheap and awesome and I love them, but they do cost Wis damage every day, or some ham-fisted alignment shift fluff (which can become crunch if your DM enforces anything even vaguely good-faith).
OP wants to put it on an effigy. Constructs are immune to ability damage.

Nifft
2018-06-14, 10:48 AM
OP wants to put it on an effigy. Constructs are immune to ability damage.

Oh, well that's just illegal.

Fiendish grafts can only be applied to living creatures (or yourself).

I thought he was suggesting that the wings be applied to a legal target, which would be the PC rather than the construct.

Darrin
2018-06-14, 11:39 AM
Fiendish grafts can only be applied to living creatures (or yourself).

Greater humanoid essence or Skull Talisman + aspect of the wolf can make the effigy eligible.

Nifft
2018-06-14, 12:29 PM
Greater humanoid essence or Skull Talisman + aspect of the wolf can make the effigy eligible.

Briefly.

Not long enough to craft the wings.

But assuming it were, then the duration expires, and what -- the wings fall off?

Kelb_Panthera
2018-06-14, 02:59 PM

It's a -little- dicey on the fluff but you could use BoED's rules for redeeming evil items on the graft.

magicalmagicman
2018-06-15, 06:23 PM
So... that's it? Grafts? That's disappointing.

Thanks anyways. I won't be using grafts because it requires some rule lawyering to get it onto a construct.

Nifft
2018-06-15, 06:34 PM
So... that's it? Grafts? That's disappointing.

Thanks anyways. I won't be using grafts because it requires some rule lawyering to get it onto a construct.

That one graft is very cheap, so it's what gets brought up first.

Carpet of Flying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#carpetofFlying) is another option, but it's not a Construct.

Flying zombie is a potentially cheap option, but not a Construct.

Bone Devil (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/devil.htm#boneDevilOsyluth) can cast fly as an SLA and can do that all day, quite amenable to regular planar binding.

Evoker
2018-06-15, 06:39 PM
Resetting magic trap of fly is only 7500 GP and 600 XP to craft, does that work for you? It's in the DMG, and can cast fly at fifth level, taking one minute to reset after each casting. YOu could probably build that into your construct. It would take 15 days to build if time is a factor.

magicalmagicman
2018-06-15, 06:43 PM
Bone Devil (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/devil.htm#boneDevilOsyluth) can cast fly as an SLA and can do that all day, quite amenable to regular planar binding.

NICE! This was exactly what I was looking for! Thanks! I can't believe I missed him. He's in Core for god's sake and I missed him...

Resetting magic trap of fly is only 7500 GP and 600 XP to craft, does that work for you? It's in the DMG, and can cast fly at fifth level, taking one minute to reset after each casting. YOu could probably build that into your construct. It would take 15 days to build if time is a factor.

That is a threshold I do not want to cross. I'm intentionally not using even the official example traps in the DMG to give my hydra the ability to shoot lightning bolts out of its mouth because player-used-mobile-at-will-automatically-resetting-traps is... well...

Nifft
2018-06-15, 07:34 PM
NICE! This was exactly what I was looking for! Thanks! I can't believe I missed him. He's in Core for god's sake and I missed him... Excellent.

Glad to help.

torrasque666
2018-06-16, 02:58 AM
If your hydra has feats available, or you can swap them around via psychic reformation/dark chaos shuffle, you might be able to add some flight via soulmelds: Airstep Sandals, Manticore Belt, or Pegasus Cloak.

Won't work. Shape Soulmeld Requires CON 13. Constructs don't have CON. Furthermore, you can't have more than CON-10 soulmelds shaped at one time. So even using Greater Humanoid Essence to get the feats onto the effigy, they'll just unshape once it wears off.

And even if you could get any of these on:
Airstep Sandals only gets you 10*essentia and you have to end on solid ground. The Feet bind doesn't remove that language.
Manticore Belt requires Waist Slot, which takes a feat requiring 18+ HD. But otherwise doable.
Pegasus Cloak is likewise feasible, if slow. No stipulation about ending flight on solid ground.

Thurbane
2018-06-16, 05:11 AM
OP seems happy with binding a Bone Devil, but I thought I';d throw some more stuff out there:

I was gong to suggest Dragonborn with the Wings aspect, but the Rite of Rebirth requires Int 3. If you can someone give the Effigy an Int score long enough for the rite?

Another option is the Zelekhut Wings graft from Dragon # 315 (if Dragon material is allowed). The follow the usual Graft Flesh rules, meaning can only be applied to a living creature, but since the wings come from a construct in the first place, the DM might be willing to let it slide.

Lastly, an application of templates: Corrupted by the Abyss is an acquired template that changes type to Aberration (if you ignore the Savage Species Type Pyramid, which many do). You can then use grafts as you see fit, or acquire a second template that gives a flight speed...