PDA

View Full Version : [Gunpowder Heroes] Spark Investigator archetype (PEACH)

Cieyrin
2018-06-14, 07:52 AM
I rejiggered with the Scavenger (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/ArchetypeDisplay.aspx?FixedName=Investigator%20Sca vanger) archetype so as to make it more compatible with other archetypes (notably Steel Hound) and gave it a bit more oomph, as I want Sparks to be a prominent part of a campaign setting I've been working off and on the last half year, Gunpowder Heroes, a Weird West setting. I'm unsure on whether I should lock Master Craftsman to Craft(clockwork) or not, as well as I kinda want to make either an alternate or extension to Master Craftsman so you can switch Craft(clockwork) in for using Master Craftsman with item creation feats. I'll get to that eventually.

https://i.imgur.com/SGa0mAp.png
Original art via Girl Genius (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070606#.WyJioKdKiUn)
Spark (Investigator Archetype)
Original Google Docs Link (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DbGIeGdLiPsmEDU1lcdxuq-7EHTYSW2Z4Bdan6zxcS8/edit?usp=sharing)
Gadgetry (Su): A spark is a master of mechanical arts rather than alchemical ones, and she gains a competence bonus on Craft (clockwork) checks equal to her class level. She can use Knowledge (engineering) to identify wondrous items as if using detect magic and Spellcraft. A spark does not gain any bonuses to or special uses of the Craft (alchemy) skill.
Rather than prepare her extracts as consumable liquids, a spark constructs small, single-use devices infused with bits of her own magic aura to achieve the same effects. Alchemist and investigator discoveries that affect extracts result in identical effects on a spark’s gadgets (such as the infusion discovery, which would allow another creature to use a gadget, just as it would allow that creature to use an extract).
This ability modifies alchemy.

Mechanical Inspiration (Ex): At 1st level, a spark can use inspiration to apply a bonus to Appraise, Disable Device, and Knowledge (engineering) checks without expending a use of inspiration, but she must spend a use of inspiration to apply a bonus on Knowledge, Linguistics, and Spellcraft checks.
This ability modifies inspiration.

Build Clank (Ex): At 1st level, a spark receives Craft Poppet as a bonus feat. A spark can build poppets and constructs, using her investigator level as her caster level. The spark can use gadgets in places of spells for spell prerequisites. A spark does not need to meet the prerequisites for this feat.

Investigator Talents: The spark can select Craft Wondrous Item, Master Craftsman (Craft (clockwork)), or Skill Focus (Craft (clockwork)) in place of an investigator talent. A spark must meet the prerequisites of the selected feat.
This modifies the investigator talents class feature. This ability does not cause the spark archetype to be incompatible with other archetypes that alter the investigator talents class feature.

Jury-Rig (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, a spark can sacrifice one of her gadgets to repair or enhance an adjacent mechanical device, such as a lock, trap, or vehicle. Doing so either repairs 1d6 points of damage per extract level of the gadget sacrificed or applies a bonus or penalty to one specific skill check involved in using the device. The spark could, for example, sacrifice a gadget to impose a penalty on all Disable Device checks to disarm a trap, add a bonus on all Disable Device checks to open a lock, or add a bonus on all Profession (driver) checks to drive a carriage. This modifier is equal to twice the extract level of the gadget sacrificed, and lasts for 10 minutes per class level.
This ability replaces keen recollection.

Construct Mastery (Ex): At 3rd level, a spark gains a +2 bonus on all Craft checks to modify or repair creatures of the construct type, as well as a +2 bonus on all weapon damage rolls against constructs. At 6th level and every 3 levels thereafter, these bonuses increase by 2 (to a maximum of +12 at 18th) level. At 5th level, the spark gains Craft Construct as a bonus feat, even if she does not meet the prerequisites.
This ability replaces the investigator’s trap sense and the investigator talent gained at 5th level.