PDA

View Full Version : How to talk in Wildshape?

etrpgb
2018-06-14, 08:35 AM
Splatbook, what it is possible to allow a Druid in Wildshape to speak with its summons or to other party members?

I have few ideas:

Telepatic bound (Fifth level spell)
Warlock of the Elder One (One level)
Being a Ghostwise Halfling
Warlock of any patron with Chain pact and Voice of the Chain Master invocation; speak through your familiar (by Vogie)
Helm of Telepathy (requires concentration) (by nickl_2000)

To transform in something that speaks is always a possibility, but seriously limits the Wildshape. The transformation must give an advantage compared to simply stay not-transformed.

I dnd 3(.5)e there are some silent languages (at least: flag semaphore, battle signals, and drow sign languages), but I as far as I know nothing like that arrived to the 5e.

Are there better or other ways?

elyktsorb
2018-06-14, 08:37 AM
If allowed I'd just be a Ghostwise Halfling, since you don't lose the telepathy when shapeshifted.

etrpgb
2018-06-14, 08:39 AM
Oh, dear... I meant Ghostwise Halfling. Dunno why I wrote "Whisper Gnome". Fixed.

nickl_2000
2018-06-14, 08:41 AM
Splatbook, what it is possible to allow a Druid in Wildshape to speak with its summons or to other party members?

I have few ideas:

Telepatic bound (Fifth level spell)
Warlock of the Elder One (One level)
Being a Whisper Gnome

I dnd 3(.5)e there are some silent languages (at least: flag semaphore, battle signals, and drow sign languages), but I as far as I know nothing like that arrived to the 5e.

Are there better or other ways?

-Ghostwise Halfling allows it
-Helm of telepathy if you DM allows it in wildshape form

nickl_2000
2018-06-14, 08:44 AM
There are a few beast forms in the Tome of Beasts (3rd party kobald press) that can talk common.

You could set pre-defined physical signs. A tail lifted means attack, a dropped tail means run, etc

Naanomi
2018-06-14, 08:44 AM
Wildshape into a parrot, or into one of the animals with their own language (giant eagles, giant stags)

Corpsecandle717
2018-06-14, 08:45 AM
Speak with animals should work as well so the Beast Speech invocation should work for all warlocks.

Vogie
2018-06-14, 08:45 AM
Warlock of any patron with Chain pact and Voice of the Chain Master invocation - Speak through your familiar

Beast Speech invocation is available to all warlocks.

Ironically, only allows you to speak to beasts, rather than speaking as a beast.

nickl_2000
2018-06-14, 08:46 AM
Wildshape into a parrot, or into one of the animals with their own language (giant eagles, giant stags)

Or a raven. They have a special ability to mimic sounds they have heard by their stat block.