PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Planning a Rouge/Warlock/Paladin build

Protato
2018-06-14, 10:50 AM
Once again, I'm asking for build advice. I've decided I'd have a sort of pseudo-frontliner with a Rogue/Warlock/Paladin build focused on doing a lot of damage. She's replacing my Earth Genasi Barbarian, who was charmed by the villains and went with them into a portal, presumably mind-controlled into acting as an elite warrior in their employ.

My new character, Marbita, is level 4, as is the rest of the party. Her background is, she's a Shadar-Kai Prince from a Shadar-Kai noble family, House Luon. Marbita was taught to fight along with the rest of her family. However, her potential for growing into a powerful warrior was special. The Raven Queen noticed this and granted Marbita a raven faux-milliar and a few magical powers as blessings, hoping Marbita would become an enforcer of her will. Her family, upon noticing this, has sent her away to supposedly go on some sort of "special mission" when the truth is to get her out of their hair. Marbita doesn't believe in telling lies directly to anyone. In fact, if she caught you lying, she'd threaten to cut out your tongue.

To represent Marbita mechanically I decided to go Swashbuckler Rogue 3/Raven Queen Warlock 1. Her stats are 9/19/14/14/15/16. While Paladin does require 13 Strength, she's got a decent roleplay reason to do it so I might be able to convince my DM. From there, I was planning to do Rogue 4-5 for the next few levels and take Athlete (or Acrobat is it's allowed from UA) for the Dexterity at level 4, then go Warlock 2-3. From here, other Feats I'm considering are Resilient Wisdom at Rogue 8 and (possibly) Dual Wielder at Rouge 12. From there though, I don't know what to do. I won't need Slippery Mind if I took Resilient Wisdom earlier, so that gives me one other level to multiclass with. She's proficient in Acrobatics, History, Intimidation, Perception, Persuasion, and Stealth. I'm thinking I should Expertise Perception, but I don't know what else to get. Probably Acrobatics, as stealth is less important on a Swashbuckler than other Rogues? She has two Shortswords, a Light Crossbow, Studded Leather Armor and gets an uncommon item to start with but I'm not sure which might be good.

My biggest questions are, what kind of Paladin should I use? I'm thinking Vengeance, Crown, or especially Conquest. I'm thinking I'd take them sometime after getting to Warlock 3 but I'm not sure at which point exactly. I also don't know which spells might be good going forward. As Warlock 1, Marbita has Message, Mage Hand, Hex, and Unseen Servant. No Eldritch Blast, as it lacks the ability to use Sneak Attack and I already have a crossbow for ranged. For my Invocations, I'm thinking of using Devilsight and probably Eldritch Sight as well, but I'm open to suggestions. Finally, the Pact Boon. Blade Pact would work well on a warrior but I'm missing out on the extra attack from Thirsting Blade by only going 3 in Warlock. Tome is good but at the same time, do I need Cantrips that aren't utility enough to take it? And for Chain Pact, my Fauxmilliar is aided by a full-fledged one, but I already have the fauxmilliar anyway. It could incentivize taking more levels in Warlock, but then I would be able to go as far in Paladin too.