PDA

View Full Version : STR-based Halfling Fighter (Advice needed)

Backlash3906
2018-06-14, 12:44 PM
Getting ready for next campaign in DM's home setting. I've had my fun in the recent past with an arcane archer (before it was an archetype), a mosh-pitting grappler Bard, and a parkour Barbarian/Rogue, but now I just want to be a straight-classed Fighter and deal damage, and lots of it.

The catch?

After being directly inspired by Lady Kima of Vord, I want the strongest Halfling possible. I want the stuff of Old Spice commercials. I want the Halfling that sees Steve Rogers splitting wood and puts that on their to-do list. I want the Halfling they call on for Terry Crews' stunt double viewed from far away.

I'm not quite prepared to eat the constant disadvantage from Heavy Weapons. I really like the Brute archetype, and will take the Fell Handed feat at 4th level of Fighter.

My first specific question is should I go:
Two-Weapon Fighting with a battleaxe and handaxe (to be switched out for a second battleaxe at 6th level with Dual Wielder)
Great Weapon Fighting with a warhammer or battleaxe (two-handing with versatile)

I am willing to hear arguments for going axe/hammer and board for maximum AC, but am primarily concerned with just bringing the hurt. Any other advice on equipment and proficiencies, and subsequent feats after FH and DW are welcome. Thank you. (:

leogobsin
2018-06-14, 01:56 PM
Two-weapon fighting is definitely gonna be the better choice, especially because you're going Brute and that'll give you an extra chance to apply Brute Force damage. Small point of order, though: two-weapon fighting requires both weapons be Light, so until you get Dual Wielder you'd be using two handaxes, not a battleaxe and a handaxe.

MagneticKitty
2018-06-14, 02:52 PM
You should go hammer so you can kneecap people. You're the perfect height.

Backlash3906
2018-06-14, 03:25 PM
Small point of order, though: two-weapon fighting requires both weapons be Light, so until you get Dual Wielder you'd be using two handaxes, not a battleaxe and a handaxe.

Thank you, I missed that.

Do you think I should go with Fell Handed or DW first?

leogobsin
2018-06-14, 03:49 PM
Thank you, I missed that.

Do you think I should go with Fell Handed or DW first?

I would say Fell Handed cause that seems more fun, whereas Dual Wielder is basically just a numerical bonus to damage and AC, but that's just me. Either one is a solid choice, really.

CTurbo
2018-06-14, 06:47 PM
If you're taking a feat at 4 and 6, at what point will you be bumping Str? I thought that was kind of the point.

I'd go TWF though

Joe the Rat
2018-06-14, 08:56 PM
Pug was my version. translated over from a retroclone. I opted two-handed warhammer, and aimed for the crotch.

Unless you're rolling, best you can start with in Strength will be 15. Good start, but you'll want to bring that up a notch. Compared to an ASI in strength, Dual Wielder nets you +1 AC, and -1 to hit (average damage would be the same) You may do as well sticking with the handaxes, then getting Fell-handed and more strength at 4 and 6. Adding dual wielder at 8th might be worth revisiting.

Not to mention with handaxes, you can throw those wicked sisters in a pinch.

Backlash3906
2018-06-15, 06:53 AM
Pug was my version. translated over from a retroclone. I opted two-handed warhammer, and aimed for the crotch.

Unless you're rolling, best you can start with in Strength will be 15. Good start, but you'll want to bring that up a notch. Compared to an ASI in strength, Dual Wielder nets you +1 AC, and -1 to hit (average damage would be the same) You may do as well sticking with the handaxes, then getting Fell-handed and more strength at 4 and 6. Adding dual wielder at 8th might be worth revisiting.

Not to mention with handaxes, you can throw those wicked sisters in a pinch.

Being able to switch-hit is a definite plus.

I don't have a high expectation for the DM doling out any of the +20 STR enabling items, so in the larger scheme of things, I'm okay with a slower STR progression. 15 (or higher if we roll scores) for a 1st-level Halfling is already going to be world-class for the race, and on the high end of average for 1st-level adventurers. Fell-handed having both STR and 'fun' benefits looks really good for 4th level, followed by a +2 STR at 6th.

I expect all ASI's will be a flat +2 to STR, but I may want Martial Adept after level 10, because sometimes you just REALLY need the BBEG to drop their magic weapon or implement. (I have fond memories of crippling an encounter and leaving the DM absolutely flummoxed when I relieved an orc chieftan of his Gruumsh-blessed spear and just left the room with it.) Pushing and Disarming Attack will both function with ranged or melee.

Alternately, Magic Initiate to pick up Booming Blade and some other cantrip that doesn't care about ability modifiers.