PDA

View Full Version : D&D deity who hates plants

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-06-14, 03:15 PM
In one of the adventures I am running the party will almost certainly find a +2 sword which does extra damage to plant life.

I would like to give it a little more of a history. You all have been helpful in the past with similar request so here I go again!

The sword is located in the dungeon leading to the tomb of a vampire.

What deity or Who would go through the trouble of making a sword soo deadly to plant life?

Aett_Thorn
2018-06-14, 03:23 PM
The former deity Moander, god of decay, or one of their followers, might have created such a weapon.

EvilAnagram
2018-06-14, 03:34 PM
Maybe tie it in tangentially with Order of the Stick and make it Moradin. He only spread knowledge of crafts because they involved cutting down trees to burn for fuel, or to make their carcasses into furniture, or to clear whole forests (tree cities) for mining.

It's all to get back at those wooden bastards!

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-06-14, 03:54 PM
In one of the adventures I am running the party will almost certainly find a +2 sword which does extra damage to plant life.

I would like to give it a little more of a history. You all have been helpful in the past with similar request so here I go again!

The sword is located in the dungeon leading to the tomb of a vampire.

What deity or Who would go through the trouble of making a sword soo deadly to plant life?

Any of the nature deities. Wildfires are an important part of the life cycle of many plants; who's to say that an adventurer can't fill the same role?

Hobbo Jim
2018-06-14, 07:00 PM
I like the idea of a god of decay, something that is capable of blighting the land. In 5e a +2 weapon is pretty powerful, so this blade if stabbed into the ground might cause plants within a couple feet to wither and die. If you want future stuff maybe if they do a favor for the god or cause enough blight/become a worshipper of decay it could become a +3 weapon. Or maybe now that it's been uncovered an acolyte of the God will approach them to try and convert or at least take the weapon to be restored to its former glory, since it was created by or at least for a god after all.

If you're looking for something a little less evil, it could have been created by a ranger who frequently had to go out into harsh wildernesses where the plants try to eat you. There are a number of carnivorous plants out in the MM IIRC, and definitely in older versions, in which the blade's history will really be the ranger's. Or you can say it was blessed originally to fight against a bunch of corrupted Plant-creatures like Ents, or perhaps an evil druid.

Tawmis
2018-06-14, 07:03 PM
The former deity Moander, god of decay, or one of their followers, might have created such a weapon.

I like this. Or you could even go with Gruumsh - maybe he made the sword for one of his most trusted Orc Warriors specifically to damage the woodlands of Elves. And the Orc fell in battle hundreds of years ago, and the blade was lost to history until now...