PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Illnoran Weapons (3.5e Weapons, PEACH)

Durzan
2018-06-14, 03:59 PM
Okay, so I've got some more homebrew from the world of Illnora for you guys to critique. This time it is weapons!

Illnoran Crossbows

The Illnoran Crossbows listed here replace the standard crossbows found in the SRD. They are more advanced than your standard crossbow. They are all treated as repeating crossbows with modified clips that can easily be replaced (see weapon description for details), they weigh a little less than repeating crossbows, they have longer ranges than normal. Since they are common among the populace, Illnoran Crossbows are counted as Simple Weapons.

Like a normal repeating crossbow, you may fire an Illnoran crossbow a single time if you are wielding it in one-hand. However, you must fire the weapon with two hands in order to use the reloading lever, and you must use two hands to load a new clip of bolts.

The capacity of a clip of bolts is listed in the weapon statistics. Reloading a new bolt into Replacing a bolt clip is a move action, while refilling a
bolt clip with new bolts is a full round action.

Crossbow, Hand: (Ranged Weapon, Type: Simple, Damage: 1d4 Piercing, 19-20 x2, Weight: 4 lb, Range: 50 ft, Clip Capacity: 4, Special: Repeating)

Cost: 15 gold
Note: A Hand Crossbow has a clip that holds 4 bolts.

Crossbow, Light: (Ranged Weapon, Type: Simple, Damage: 1d8 Piercing, 19-20 x2, Weight: 6 lb, Range: 100 ft, Clip Capacity: 6, Special: Repeating)

Cost: 35 gold
Note: A Light Crossbow has a clip that holds 6 bolts.

Crossbow, Heavy: (Ranged Weapon, Type: Simple, Damage: 1d10 Piercing, 19-20 x2, Weight: 8 lb, Range: 130 ft, Clip Capacity: 6, Special: Repeating)

Cost: 50 gold
Note: A Heavy Crossbow has a clip that holds 6 bolts.

Crossbow Ammunition:

Bolt, Standard: A pack of 10 standard bolts costs 1 gold and weighs 1 pound.
Bolt, Armor Piercing: A pack of 10 armor piercing bolts costs 10 gold and weighs 1 pound. Armor Piercing Bolts grant a +2 bonus on attack rolls made against targets with an armor bonus or natural armor bonus.
Bolt, Broad: A pack of 10broadhead bolts costs 20 gold and weighs 2 pounds. Broadhead bolts do an extra +2 points of damage, but the bolt’s extra weight reduces the range increment of the crossbow by 10 feet.
Bolt, Barbed: A pack of 10 barbed bolts costs 5 gold and weighs 1 pound. Barbed bolts that hit a target have a 50% chance of wedging in. If this occurs, the arrow will cause an additional 1d6 points of damage upon removal, unless a Heal check at DC 15 is made.

Disque Launchers:

Disque launchers are Marshall ranged weapon similar in design and function to an Illnoran Crossbow. Like an Illnoran crossbow, they are repeating weapons, but unlike them their range is more similar to that of regular crossbows, their ammunition is more compact, and they weigh substantially less than a crossbow.

A Disque is both a light one-handed ranged weapon that can either be thrown or used as ammo for a Disque Launcher. As such, a Disque is a small flat metal disc with a hollowed out center that the launcher uses to both load and fire, while a wielder simply throws the disque similarly to a frisbee or throwing star. Curved blades (that bear an uncanny resemblance to a cats claw) are set blade-first into spring-locked grooves along the edge of the weapon, preventing the wielder from accidentally harming themselves with it. Upon being thrown by hand or launched from a Disque Launcher, the spring-lock mechanism in the Disque activates, causing the blades in the disque to spring out, allowing the weapon to deal slashing damage and granting the weapon additional stability as it spins through the air like a frisbee.

Because of their frisbee-like design, Disques often curve slightly while they spin through the air. While this makes a Disque harder to learn how to use, it allows those with such skill to more easily hit enemies that are not in direct line of sight (See the Curving Weapon special quality).

Like a repeating crossbow, you may fire a Disque Launcher a single time if you are wielding it in one-hand. However, you must fire the weapon with two hands in order to use the reloading lever, and you must use two hands to load a new clip of bolts.

The capacity of a clip of disques is listed in the weapon statistics. Reloading a new disque into Replacing a disque clip is a move action, while refilling a bolt clip with new bolts is a full round action.

Disque: (Light Ranged Weapon, Type: Marshall, Damage: 1d4 Slashing, 19-20 x2, Range: 20 ft. Weight: 1/5 lb, Special: Thrown)

Cost: A pack of 10 throwing disques costs 10 gold and weighs approximately 2 pounds.
Note:Throwing disques may be thrown by hand or used as ammo in any type of Disque Launcher.

Disque Launcher, Hand: (Ranged Weapon, Type: Marshall, Damage: 1d6 Slashing, 19-20 x2, Weight: 3 lb, Range: 40 ft, Clip Capacity: 5, Special: Repeating, Curving)

Cost: 50 gold.
Note: A Hand Disque Launcher has a clip that holds 5 Disques.

Disque Launcher, Light: (Ranged Weapon, Type: Marshall, Damage: 1d8 Slashing, 19-20 x2, Range: 80 ft, Weight: 4 lb, Clip Capacity: 10, Special: Repeating, Curving)

Cost: 80 gold
Note: A Light Disque Launcher has a clip that holds 10 disques.

Disque Launcher, Heavy: (Ranged Weapon, Type: Marshall, Damage: 1d10 Slashing, 19-20 x2, Range: 120 ft, Weight: 6 lb, Clip Capacity: 10, Special: Repeating, Curving)

Cost: 100 gold.
Note: A Light Disque Launcher has a clip that holds 10 disques.

You guys might also want to know the custom weapon quality called Curving Weapon.

Curving Weapon: A ranged weapon that is designed to curve mid-flight so it can hit foes who are not in direct line of sight. So long as the user is proficient with this weapon, it may ignore AC bonuses provided by cover. If the user is not proficient with the weapon, they have a 10% chance of missing their intended target each time they fire, due in part to the unexpected curving of the weapon’s flight path. This is in addition to the standard penalties granted when wielding a weapon they are not proficient with.

Alright guys, what do you think? As always, please PEACH!

So, the idea behind the Illnoran Crossbows was to make them parallel the Six-Shooter from Western Style Movies. Disques on the other hand, are supposed to be smaller versions of the Moonglaive Weapon that Night Elves use in Warcraft III and World of Warcraft, with Disque Launchers essentially being a crossbow designed to throw the darn things.

May add more weapons if/when they are finished.

aimlessPolymath
2018-06-14, 07:46 PM
Let's see...
The original weakness of a crossbow has been pretty much removed, as far as I can see, and they're now the premier simple ranged weapon.

Clips are loaded in sizes of 4-6, and bought in packs of 10. (https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-verizon&ei=9wojW4GOIofc_wSMl6joCQ&q=why+are+hot+dogs+sold+in+packs+of+10+and+buns+in +packs+of+8&oq=why+are+hot+dogs+sold+in+packs+of+10+&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.1.0.0j33i160l2.2478.4178..4984...2....164.469 .0j3......0....1.........0i71j33i22i29i30.CxfMWpY5 Djw%3D)

I'm not clear on the major trade-offs between crossbow types other than cost-it seems like heavy crossbows are just "the best".

Bolt types are cool.

Repeated typo: Martial vs. marshall.
Possible typo:Disk vs. disque.

Anyone who's thrown a frisbee will tell you that they take active effort and skill to curve in a controlled way, and you ideally want them going straight. A 10% miss chance for nonproficiency feels pretty right.

Not sure why the launchers come in those sizes-it seems like you're just replicating the crossbow types, but slashing damage and curved?

Durzan
2018-06-17, 03:20 PM
Let's see...
The original weakness of a crossbow has been pretty much removed, as far as I can see, and they're now the premier simple ranged weapon.

Clips are loaded in sizes of 4-6, and bought in packs of 10. (https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-verizon&ei=9wojW4GOIofc_wSMl6joCQ&q=why+are+hot+dogs+sold+in+packs+of+10+and+buns+in +packs+of+8&oq=why+are+hot+dogs+sold+in+packs+of+10+&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.1.0.0j33i160l2.2478.4178..4984...2....164.469 .0j3......0....1.........0i71j33i22i29i30.CxfMWpY5 Djw%3D)

I'm not clear on the major trade-offs between crossbow types other than cost-it seems like heavy crossbows are just "the best".

Bolt types are cool.

Repeated typo: Martial vs. marshall.
Possible typo:Disk vs. disque.

Anyone who's thrown a frisbee will tell you that they take active effort and skill to curve in a controlled way, and you ideally want them going straight. A 10% miss chance for nonproficiency feels pretty right.

Not sure why the launchers come in those sizes-it seems like you're just replicating the crossbow types, but slashing damage and curved?

Hand Crossbow and Light Crossbow weigh less. Thats the trade off. Might need something else to make them worth getting over the Heavy.

Thanks for pointing out the Martial typo.

Deliberately spelled "Disque" that way. Disc Launchers sounds right, but makes someone think that I am launching CDs at them. So kept the pronunciation but changed the spelling to an equivalent phonetic with the letter Q.

Originally, the Disque Launchers had a 19-20 X3 critical (suggested by my friend), But I thought that was going a bit far. Disques already have an advantage over crossbows by holding more ammo, but at the trade off of having less range than a crossbow.