PDA

View Full Version : Skill mixups and boosting

weckar
2018-06-14, 05:37 PM
I'm looking for any feats, items or other effects that either allow skills to have more ranks than the standard ECL+3 OR that key a skill off a different ability score.

In the first category I can really only think of Ravenloft's Laborious Training feat (+2 cap to INT skills), while in the latter I can think of Agile Athlete and Keen Intellect.

As you can see, I don't shy away from 'second party' sources. There must be more, right?

daremetoidareyo
2018-06-14, 05:42 PM
Primary contact.

Symbiotic template

Possession by quori

Inquisitor from dragonlance (add concentration ranks)

Channeling a celestial

Venger
2018-06-14, 05:45 PM
I'm looking for any feats, items or other effects that either allow skills to have more ranks than the standard ECL+3 OR that key a skill off a different ability score.

In the first category I can really only think of Ravenloft's Laborious Training feat (+2 cap to INT skills), while in the latter I can think of Agile Athlete and Keen Intellect.

As you can see, I don't shy away from 'second party' sources. There must be more, right?
beaten to the punch with most of the prior category

as far as swapping out what ability you use, x stat to y bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?125732-3-x-X-stat-to-Y-bonus) has most of those listed

weckar
2018-06-14, 05:46 PM
Primary contact.

Symbiotic template

Possession by quori

Inquisitor from dragonlance (add concentration ranks)

Channeling a celestial
Dang that was quick. Any chance of book/page references or a quick overview of what each does specifically?

Kalkra
2018-06-14, 05:47 PM
Illithid savant, if you can qualify and don't care about all the books your DM will throw at you.

weckar
2018-06-14, 05:51 PM
Illithid Savant ain't bad. Be perfect if they could absorb more than they do.

Neither inquisitor nor symbiotic creature unfortunately seem to actually increase the ranks, just give bonuses. Unless I am missing something.

EDIT: dotdotdot Don't bloodlines technically accomplish this? As I recall they advance feat progression and skill cap progression without actually raising ECL?

Venger
2018-06-14, 06:41 PM
Dang that was quick. Any chance of book/page references or a quick overview of what each does specifically?

ask and ye shall receive

Primary contact. cityscape p61
boosts the number of ranks you may invest in a skill by 1

Symbiotic template savage species p131
doesn't, to my knowledge

Possession by quori eberron campaign setting p296
use the better of the skill ranks, yours or the quori's

Inquisitor from dragonlance (add concentration ranks) dragonlance campaign setting p80
doesn't, to my knowledge

Channeling a celestial book of exalted deeds p23
use the better of the skill ranks, yours or the celestial's

daremetoidareyo
2018-06-14, 09:38 PM
ask and ye shall receive

Primary contact. cityscape p61
boosts the number of ranks you may invest in a skill by 1

Symbiotic template savage species p131
doesn't, to my knowledge

Possession by quori eberron campaign setting p296
use the better of the skill ranks, yours or the quori's

Inquisitor from dragonlance (add concentration ranks) dragonlance campaign setting p80
doesn't, to my knowledge

Channeling a celestial book of exalted deeds p23
use the better of the skill ranks, yours or the celestial's

That's a daremeto venger combo!

I was saving this as an early entry trick 4 the appropriate upcoming iron chef competition.

Extreme Focus (Ex): An inquisitor must be able to ignore outside distractions while following up a lead, for fear of missing an important detail. Once per day per level of the inquisitor, he may add his ranks in Concentration to any one Intelligence- or Wisdom-based skill check.

You see that? it doesn't say it replaces your skill ranks. It adds your concentration ranks to your normal skill ranks.

I'd probably pair it with war hulk. Or some 3.0 Prestige class that uses the word "rank" in the prerequisites.

Venger
2018-06-14, 10:01 PM
That's a daremeto venger combo!

I was saving this as an early entry trick 4 the appropriate upcoming iron chef competition.

You see that? it doesn't say it replaces your skill ranks. It adds your concentration ranks to your normal skill ranks.

I'd probably pair it with war hulk. Or some 3.0 Prestige class that uses the word "rank" in the prerequisites.

Oh, I see. So it'd be a temporary entry thing, like paoing into beholder mage or something. Clever.