PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Question about Powered Armour

Fishyninja
2018-06-14, 05:54 PM
So following on from Richard 369's thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?561058-Powered-armor), I came up with an idea for my campaign.

I love this idea of a particular NPC having access to Power Armour.

I was thinking either a steam contraption with a captured steam mephit in extra dimension shackles or the Bands of Bilarro, or a Captured Fire Mephit with an Ewer of Everlasting water providing the steam.
Anyway my main question is on Mechanics.

I would want the group to face him potentially around level 15 or so.
Does anyone know of a Stat block I could use as a base?

I was also thinking of giving the armour the following abilities:
As the Armour gives the user immense strength, the User if skilled, may weild to large weapons one handed (i.e. Greatsword in each hand)

Due to the advanced technology every 1d4+2 rounds the armour must vent excess steam. Venting steam causes the armour to be inactive for one round and any creature in a a5ft radius must make a DC 15 Dex save or take 2d6 fire damage. If the user does not vent, roll a d20 on a 1 the Armour explodes killing the user.

Any thoughts.

MagneticKitty
2018-06-14, 06:05 PM
You could give him levels in this class:

https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-LAEn6ZdC6lYUKhQ67Qk
(Note: does not load right in Firefox use other browser)

Specifically warsmith. This is home brew, but then your armor was already going to be.

Also since the class has levels you can have him fight them multiple times and adapt his armor based on previous fights.

Fishyninja
2018-06-14, 07:35 PM
Hmm certainly an idea. I like the idea of him modifying his armour based on previous fights. I'll certainly give it a look.

Sigreid
2018-06-14, 07:41 PM
For a steam power source how about a decanter of endless water and a boiler with a permanent heat metal.

Fishyninja
2018-06-14, 07:47 PM
For a steam power source how about a decanter of endless water and a boiler with a permanent heat metal.

That could be another version. I thought the idea of ensalved mephits might be enough to enrage the players because slavery is barbaric. However if I want to remove that aspect that's another good source.

What do you think about the abilities and stats?

Sigreid
2018-06-14, 11:16 PM
I'd use AC 20, probably fire giant equivalent strength and personally would give it the jump spell usable when venting the steam and 50 or 100 temporary HP that have to be repaired by a skilled blacksmith so you can have pieces flying off of it during the fight and they can find out that their BBEG is just some pathetic, weak loser in the armor.

Unoriginal
2018-06-15, 06:29 AM
I would want the group to face him potentially around level 15 or so.
Does anyone know of a Stat block I could use as a base?

Sure, the CR 16 Iron Golem seems like the perfect base for this.

Simply removing the mental stats and having it needing someone to pilot it would already make it a power armor.

Fishyninja
2018-06-15, 03:49 PM
Sure, the CR 16 Iron Golem seems like the perfect base for this.

Simply removing the mental stats and having it needing someone to pilot it would already make it a power armor.

Cool I'm AWB but when I return to the UK I will certainly look it up. Do you think the other two abilities I mentioned in the OP fit as well?

Unoriginal
2018-06-15, 04:06 PM
Cool I'm AWB but when I return to the UK I will certainly look it up. Do you think the other two abilities I mentioned in the OP fit as well?

Sure, though technically the Golem has a custom-made sword that fits its size and strength, so the "Enhanced Strength" seems a bit anecdotal.

Fishyninja
2018-06-15, 04:45 PM
Sure, though technically the Golem has a custom-made sword that fits its size and strength, so the "Enhanced Strength" seems a bit anecdotal.

Ok and I am assuming since there is no comment on the "Venting" Property it seems to be ok then.

Unoriginal
2018-06-15, 04:51 PM
Ok and I am assuming since there is no comment on the "Venting" Property it seems to be ok then.

Well yes. It's a flavor-based ability that does a bit of damage and is a bit of an handicap for the bad guy, I don't see why anyone would have any business saying it's not ok.

As DM, you're the master of that kind of things.

Btw, do you have the Mordenkainen's? It has some construct you might be interested in.

Also, if you're off the books but still has interned, WotC officially released the statblocks of a lot of the monsters online. Pretty sure you can find the official SRD page on the Iron Golem via google.

Fishyninja
2018-06-15, 08:29 PM
Well yes. It's a flavor-based ability that does a bit of damage and is a bit of an handicap for the bad guy, I don't see why anyone would have any business saying it's not ok.

As DM, you're the master of that kind of things.

Btw, do you have the Mordenkainen's? It has some construct you might be interested in.

Also, if you're off the books but still has interned, WotC officially released the statblocks of a lot of the monsters online. Pretty sure you can find the official SRD page on the Iron Golem via google.

I do and cheers.
What would you reccomend in MTOF?