PDA

View Full Version : Getting a skill above 20??

Darkbru
2018-06-14, 06:55 PM
Title basically says it all. I’m new to 5e and don’t have access to the DMG until payday. So I’m wondering if there’s any way to get any skills above 20 besides being a Barbarian?

ShadowSandbag
2018-06-14, 07:10 PM
If I remember right there are magic books in the DMG that let you increase a stat by 2 above the limit. I think there also might be some epic boons that do it.

sophontteks
2018-06-14, 07:16 PM
Social skills. What is the value of rolling an automatic 15?
http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Glibness

- Its not concentration, so add enhance ability for automatic advantage.
- +5 from charisma.
- +10 from experitise in all social skills
- 1d4 guidance
- 1d10 bardic inspiration

I may have went a bit over +20 by a good bit in this.

JoeJ
2018-06-14, 07:18 PM
Skills don't have numerical values; you either have proficiency or you don't.

If you mean ability scores, there are some magic items (Belt of Giant Strength being one example) that will raise them above 20.

suplee215
2018-06-14, 07:34 PM
Assuming due to the reference of barbarian you mean stats. If so then magic items is your only answer. Or shape shift/true polymorph into a creature with high stats (high level spells). Only other way is the new playtest only subclass for sorcerers Giant Soul that gives a +2 con up to 22. This is very much intentional and is part of the defining principal of 5e. The numbers are kept small on purpose to keep monsters relevant. Even at level 10 a large group of goblins can be a threat.

Lunali
2018-06-14, 08:06 PM
To be more specific, there are magical items that permanently increase a stat by 2, raising the cap along with it.
Manual of Gainful Exercise for STR
Manual of Quickness of Action for DEX
Manual of Bodily Health for CON
Tome of Clear Thought for INT
Tome of Understanding for WIS
Tome of Leadership and Influence for CHA

There are also a few items that increase stats beyond the limits while they are equipped and attuned like the belts of giant strength.

Darkbru
2018-06-15, 08:03 AM
To be more specific, there are magical items that permanently increase a stat by 2, raising the cap along with it.
Manual of Gainful Exercise for STR
Manual of Quickness of Action for DEX
Manual of Bodily Health for CON
Tome of Clear Thought for INT
Tome of Understanding for WIS
Tome of Leadership and Influence for CHA

There are also a few items that increase stats beyond the limits while they are equipped and attuned like the belts of giant strength.

Thank you. And yeah, I meant stats above 20.

Sigreid
2018-06-15, 08:10 AM
I believe there is an epic boon that can do it. If your DM is game you can try mixing potions. You might die though.

Of course your DM can invent anything he wants.

nickl_2000
2018-06-15, 08:15 AM
Thank you. And yeah, I meant stats above 20.

The new Unearthed Arcana Giant Soul Sorcerer allows you to get your Con up to 22 at level 18.
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/giant-soul-sorcerer

Potions of Giant Strength temporarily set your strength over 20

It's also a major beneficial property of an artifact

01-20 While attuned to the artifact, one of your ability scores (OM's choice) increases by 2, to a maximum of24.

Could wish be used for this as well (dangerous yes, but possible I think)?