PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help me pick my next ASI or feat

2D6GREATAXE
2018-06-15, 02:41 AM
Hi,

I am currently having a little trouble on planning ahead for what to take for my next ASI or feat. Although the thread is about optimization I am just as into the role-play side of things.
I am a variant human level 4 Necromancer.
I am currently playing in a homebrew campaign.
We get a free feat at level 4 as well as our ASI.
my stats are

Str -2 (6)
Dex +2 (14)
Con +3 (16) resilient
Int +5 (20)
Wis 0 (10)
Cha +1 (12)

Feats
Arcanist from Vhuman
Reslilient Con from level 4

What would anyone suggest to pick for my level 8 ASI/fest, I don't think we will reach level 12 as this is the DM's first time DMing.

would you bump dex for inti+ and AC+ or perhaps pick warcaster?

thanks for your input

CTurbo
2018-06-15, 03:26 AM
I'd go +2 Dex for sure.

As far as fears go, Great Weapon Master is the obvious choice here. Lol JK

Alert is always extremely helpful for Wizards.
Lucky is great on every character.
Magic Initiate is strong.
Moble is another that's useful to everyone.

Not seeing the appeal of Warcaster to you. You're not going to have your hands full. You're proficient in Con saves so you don't really need the advantage. Of course it's still helpful.

Magic Initiate - Cleric gets you Guidance, Toll the Dead, and something like Bless or Shield of Faith.

- Druid gets you Shillelagh which would let you have a decent melee attack with a staff.

2D6GREATAXE
2018-06-15, 06:03 AM
I'd go +2 Dex for sure.

As far as fears go, Great Weapon Master is the obvious choice here. Lol JK

Alert is always extremely helpful for Wizards.
Lucky is great on every character.
Magic Initiate is strong.
Moble is another that's useful to everyone.

Not seeing the appeal of Warcaster to you. You're not going to have your hands full. You're proficient in Con saves so you don't really need the advantage. Of course it's still helpful.

Magic Initiate - Cleric gets you Guidance, Toll the Dead, and something like Bless or Shield of Faith.

- Druid gets you Shillelagh which would let you have a decent melee attack with a staff.

I hadn't considered magic initiate thank you

MephitBlue
2018-06-15, 07:35 AM
A couple of feats that I'd consider:

* Spell Sniper - Ignore 3/4 cover and get one attack cantrip (Eldritch Blast)
* Tough - Wizards get the lowest hit point die, +2 hit points for every level is a quick extra 16hp

ImproperJustice
2018-06-15, 07:45 AM
A couple of feats that I'd consider:

* Spell Sniper - Ignore 3/4 cover and get one attack cantrip (Eldritch Blast)
* Tough - Wizards get the lowest hit point die, +2 hit points for every level is a quick extra 16hp

Those were going to be my suggestions.

The two leading killers of Wizards are strong melee opponents and enemy direct damage spells.
Extended range helps with the first, and more hit points helps with both.

2D6GREATAXE
2018-06-15, 08:46 AM
Thanks all,

I will say with the added minions I will get and the mirror image spell as well as my somewhat occasionally naughty use of levitate, I normally find my way out of combat, I also have misty step.

Although they are both options I will consider.

EDIT: actually I large hit point pool as well as grim harvest might be a good option

nickl_2000
2018-06-15, 08:56 AM
Personally I would go +2 Con to get more HP and an even better chance to never fail your Con checks.

One problem with Magic initiate (and spell sniper) is that is uses the casting stats of the class you are taking. So, if you take MI: Druid and Shillelagh it would use your wisdom instead of your strength. Yes, this in an improvement, but not much of one. You would be much better off holding a dagger for those few times you are making an attack.

The Healer Feat is an interesting choice, as it is one of the few things you can use on an undead minion to help them regain hit points.

CTurbo
2018-06-15, 09:47 AM
I know attack spells from Magic Initiate key off of what ever class you choose, but Shillelagh simple says "For the duration, you can use your spellcasting ability instead of Strength...."

From every DM I have ever played with, they've allowed the spellcaster to use their own stat with Shillelagh. Not saying this is correct, just speaking from actual experience.

nickl_2000
2018-06-15, 09:59 AM
I know attack spells from Magic Initiate key off of what ever class you choose, but Shillelagh simple says "For the duration, you can use your spellcasting ability instead of Strength...."

From every DM I have ever played with, they've allowed the spellcaster to use their own stat with Shillelagh. Not saying this is correct, just speaking from actual experience.

Right, you use your spellcasting ability that you use to cast that spell (which is wisdom for all but Tomelock and Giant Soul Sorcerer), which would be the RAW/RAI reading. Still if you DMs allow it, run with it!

2D6GREATAXE
2018-06-16, 02:32 AM
yeah looking at the PHB it is the casting ability of the class spell casting ability modifier.
Checked with my DM and that's how that would play.

So im still stuck between,

Dex +1 Con+1 or

Tough

Beelzebubba
2018-06-16, 03:31 AM

FYI, by the book, the only abilities that let this happen are the one Warlock invocation and the clerical Arcana domain from Sword's Coast. Those two explicitly say that the character picks up spells from another class and uses their own classes' casting stat.

ProseBeforeHos
2018-06-16, 04:37 AM
Don't overlook the value of the Alert feat.

+5 initiative is huge on a spellcaster, and the 'cannot be surprised' but is also nice for someone as squishy as you.

2D6GREATAXE
2018-06-16, 05:13 AM
Don't overlook the value of the Alert feat.

+5 initiative is huge on a spellcaster, and the 'cannot be surprised' but is also nice for someone as squishy as you.

I agree, its becoming a real difficult choice between

Dex +1, Alert or tough.

Im thinking if I can find someone to teach me vampiric touch and combine that with grim harvest and a huge HP pool that might be nice. Ive never taken the alert feat though and it seems really fun.

Derpldorf
2018-06-16, 09:40 AM
My top picks for feats to take have been mentioned, so I'll go with Ritual Caster: Cleric. Provided you find and copy down the right spells you can get some solid healing and nice utility added to your magical toolbox. It can even be flavored to fit with a necromantic theme, somebody that has studied the intricacies of life and death should be able to do at least some healing right?