PDA

View Full Version : Fighter/Hexblade RP/Optimizing, need help

PhantomVector
2018-06-15, 05:21 PM
So I’m making my first hexblade, and warlock for that matter, so I have some questions. Your “Patron” is a sentient weapon? But it doesn’t look like the class gives you one. Unless it basically means you’re flavoring the arcane focus as that weapon. And what sort of sentient weapons have you guys used? I’ll admit I’m kinda coming up with a blank for that. Plus I would like to avoid an “evil” weapon, as we’re mostly neutral/good aligned party(And the hexblade has some real edgy sounding features lol). But I’m pretty unfamiliar with who might have created such weapons past the short lore the hexblade gives you. How many levels do I wanna grab? From what I’ve read, most people grab at least two, for invocations. But should I go to three for Blade pact? Past that?

I’ve only got one question for fighter and that’s which subclass to take? Battlemaster looks super interesting and overall useful. But Eldritch Knight might be more thematic. But I question how useful some of it’s abilities are. War magic seems meh, especially with cantrips. Made better with Eldritch Blast and it’s high damage for a cantrip but it feels like you’re giving up some damage over just hitting again without it. Some utility I guess with certain cantrips.

What feats should I be looking at as well?

In advance thank you :)

Unoriginal
2018-06-15, 07:16 PM
In the finalized version of the Hexblade, the Patron isn't a sapient weapon. Well, it could be, maybe, but all what is known is that it's an ambiguoud entity, possibly linked to the Shadowfell, who among other things empower weapons.

PhantomVector
2018-06-15, 10:18 PM
In the finalized version of the Hexblade, the Patron isn't a sapient weapon. Well, it could be, maybe, but all what is known is that it's an ambiguoud entity, possibly linked to the Shadowfell, who among other things empower weapons.

Book says, “...Mysterious entity from the Shadowfell—a force that manifests in sentient magic weapons carved from the stuff of shadows”

While you’re right it’s not just a sapient weapon, RAW says that this entity takes this form and offers its powers to warlocks.

Rhaegar14
2018-06-15, 11:45 PM
Book says, “...Mysterious entity from the Shadowfell—a force that manifests in sentient magic weapons carved from the stuff of shadows”

While you’re right it’s not just a sapient weapon, RAW says that this entity takes this form and offers its powers to warlocks.

My read of what Xanathar's says is that the patron also happens to MAKE these weapons. Essentially, you and Blackrazor both draw power from the same source.

PhantomVector
2018-06-16, 10:29 AM
My read of what Xanathar's says is that the patron also happens to MAKE these weapons. Essentially, you and Blackrazor both draw power from the same source.

I don’t have the book on me ATM but I’m pretty sure it says it’s the weapon and not the raven queen, or at least not directly coming from the raven queen. I’ll qoute it out later when I can