PDA

View Full Version : Help/Suggestions For Cleric

JRump23
2018-06-15, 05:25 PM
So this is my first time playing a cleric and I am going the Forge Domain so I do want to be a tank in the front lines. Now we are starting at level 5 my race is a Firbolg with the Acolyte background, so my question is should I end up multiclassing or just go full out cleric/ should I be trying to take any specific feats for what I am trying to do/ should I take a different background to better suit what I want to do? At the moment I did not take any feats but still have time to switch and my stats currently are (we rolled for stats) Str 16 Dex 10 Con 16 Int 12 Wis 20 Char 12. If anyone has any good insight or suggestions I would love to hear them thank you for your time

Vessyra
2018-06-16, 03:25 AM
I think that hill dwarf would be better than firbolg for the extra hit points but also for the weapon proficiencies. Make sure to wear heavy armour, to, as you won't be needing dex. Currently, with the melee types getting extra attack, they'll outshine you in melee, but at level 8 you'll get +1d8 to your damage, and at level 9 you can pick up (with DM approval) holy weapon, which will be a game changer for your offensive capability.

What weapon do you plan on using?

CTurbo
2018-06-16, 04:10 AM
If you want to really tank, I think the Tempest is much better. Being a great tank takes more than just having a silly high AC. The Forge just lacks ways to deal damage. The Tempest outdamages Forge by a mile or two while still having an AC of 20. With an AC of 20, you'd be able to damage foes (2d8) with your reaction 5 times every short rest too making them think twice about even attacking you. Tempest gets full weapon proficiencies too despite still only having one attack. One of my favorite things is to be a Tempest in Plate+Shield sitting down on the front line with the Sentinel feat right next to the Fighter/Barbarian/Paladin. If the enemy attacks you, you shock them for 2d8 damage. If they attack your buddy, you attack them and when you attack with your reaction, you can use your Divine Strike again. Then there is the whole "Max any Thunder/Lightning spell" once and eventually twice per short rest.

Ok but if you still want Forge, you will have a silly high AC of 21-22 in Plate, but you lack ways to deal a lot of damage. You're going to rely on Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians for most of your DPR. Forge is not bad, I just think it's a bit overrated mechanically. Luckily, the core Cleric class is so strong it's not too noticeable.

As far as feats go, you want Warcaster or Res(Con) for sure if not both of them. Keeping your concentration spells up and running is going to be your main goal. That would be Bless, Shield of Faith, Spirit Guardians to name a few. Usually, if Con score is odd, go with Res(Con), but if Con score is even, go Warcaster. Sentinel is great as mentioned above if you want to tank. Magic Initiate for Booming Blade is great too. Combine Warcaster, Sentinel, and Booming Blade together and you can use Booming Blade with any reaction attack. At level 8, you'd be dealing 3d8+Str damage on the attack on your turn AND with your reaction attack. Plus an extra 2d8 damage if the enemy moves. Add 1d8 to each attack at levels 11, 14, and 17.