PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Properties of Fiend remnants/materials

OdinTGE
2018-06-15, 05:39 PM
My game is 5e but this is about some general ideas that could be made specific to other systems I suppose. In D&D and I think other games/mythos fiends (devils, demons, etc.) die on the material plane they return to their plane of origin. Their material bodies turning to ichor or smoke etc.

So in my world I've nailed down the following for when a fiend dies:

Devils: Their bodies rapidly burn away like flash paper leaving behind a pile of ash. A larger devil leaves more ash than a smaller one, but in both cases the amount left is far less than the mass of the devil would suggest because...magic.
Demons: Their bodies rapidly melt into a thick black ichor. As with devils the amount doesn't equal the mass of the demon.
Yugoloth: They sort of dissolve away into a fine powder. Again, less than the mass of the Yugoloth.
Also, the weapons used by devils are made of Targath. A dull black metal.

What I'm looking for is ideas for the properties of these things. Below is a list of what I have so far and I'm looking for ideas to fill in gaps and add to what I have. Specifically I'm looking for ways they might be useful for an adventuring party or to craft items. Even of those uses are less than pleasant.

Devil Ash

If ignited it burns perpetually with a deep red flame. No oxygen needed. Quite difficult to douse but possible if fully submerged in water or through magical means.

Demon Ichor

Poisonous if applied to a weapon or consumed in small amounts (less than a cup)
If consumed in larger amounts (a cup or more) it's either extremely poisonous leading to death or if successful on a DC # CON save it corrupts and mutates the person into some sort of demonic/race hybrid that then is a chaotic evil killing machine.

Yugoloth Dust

???

Targath aka Black Metal <headbang>

Extremely high melting point
Weapons made from it are magical for the purposes of overcoming resistances and immunities to non magical attacks.
It is easier to enchant than mundane metals

Nifft
2018-06-15, 06:15 PM
In 3.x, some types of fiends are associated with magical diseases. Some fiends are notable for being immune to poison, and there's that one Yugoloth who's supposed to be really good at making poisons (The Sinmaker?).

So you could use fiend remains as disease vectors, or as poison ingredients -- or as an ingredient to a cure for some rare magical poison.

In some lore, the Yugoloths were especially disease-oriented.

It's not lore per se, but in some editions the Devils have powers which create undead, while Demons have powers which create horribly twisted life (e.g. vrock spores). So you could have Devil Ash be a power component for undead creation, and Demon Ichor be a component for grafts or magical mutations.

Are aberrations a special / unnatural / unexplained thing in your setting? Maybe they come from innocent mortal critters consuming fiend remains. Or maybe that's where the more evil of the magical beasts come from -- they're formerly noble magical beasts which got fiend-tainted. Nightmare -> tainted Unicorn, Gnolls -> tainted Hyenas, that sort of thing.

Kaptin Keen
2018-06-16, 01:52 AM
I ... frankly I can't remember the last time I used any outsiders. There were some yugo's, back when Jack escaped prison.

Regardless, when I do, I quite agree that outsiders don't leave behind much of anything - but it's my conviction that there's always something inside an outsider. Something unique, quite possibly symbolic, maybe valuable. Essentially, imagine if you will that every single soul in the nine hells is there for a reason, suffering some personal punishment for something done in a life long gone and forgotten. That thing, at the moment of death, will condense into ... something.

Mastikator
2018-06-16, 02:19 PM
What happens if you consume these powders and ashes? You need an answer to this question before a player decides it's funny to try it out.

OdinTGE
2018-06-16, 04:17 PM
What happens if you consume these powders and ashes? You need an answer to this question before a player decides it's funny to try it out.

...it's almost like that was the point of this thread?