PDA

View Full Version : Making a sumo wrestler

Dankus Memakus
2018-06-16, 01:43 AM
All I got this idea while watching tv and I have been searching the internet for an answer on how to build this character. I immediately think some form of monk but the internet claims barbarian. I however feel that monks use martial arts and sumo is a martial art so there needs to be some level of monk (for thematic purposes) sooo i could really use some help on the build. I think a monk/barb would be cool but I worry it would be horrible in combat. Please. Help.

Unoriginal
2018-06-16, 02:10 AM
Well, first, you probably want the feat Sentinel.

Why is the internet saying Barbarian, exactly?

Dankus Memakus
2018-06-16, 02:19 AM
Well, first, you probably want the feat Sentinel.

Why is the internet saying Barbarian, exactly?

People claim it embodies the health of a sumo wrestler...i feel like a open hand monk fits the bill better. Why exactly do I want sentinel? Please elaborate

Unoriginal
2018-06-16, 02:45 AM
People claim it embodies the health of a sumo wrestler...i feel like a open hand monk fits the bill better. Why exactly do I want sentinel? Please elaborate

Sumo wrestlers aren't particularly healthy, though. Maybe they meant it could represent the "stone wall" impression Sumo gives (at least in fiction).

I say Sentinel because it let you stop an enemy's movement with an AoO.

Otherwise you can take Prodigy so you have Expertise in Athleticism.

IMO, you're right, a STR-grapple-Open-Hand Monk is probably your best option.

Dankus Memakus
2018-06-16, 02:47 AM
Sumo wrestlers aren't particularly healthy, though. Maybe they meant it could represent the "stone wall" impression Sumo gives (at least in fiction).

I say Sentinel because it let you stop an enemy's movement with an AoO.

Otherwise you can take Prodigy so you have Expertise in Athleticism.

IMO, you're right, a STR-grapple-Open-Hand Monk is probably your best option.

I'm probably going to just deal with a low AC for a bit aren't I? I do like the idea of sentinel. Probably take that as variant human.

Lalliman
2018-06-16, 01:54 PM
The monk's features in no way resemble a sumo, aside from being unarmed and being implicitly Asian-themed. Monks are fast and fragile. Sumo wrestlers may be limber, but they aren't very fleet, and all their fat is specifically to absorb blows and make them harder to move. If there's anything the monk doesn't do, it's standing his ground.

The barbarian is much more suitable. They're Strength-based, they can fight unarmoured, and their rage makes them excellent at grappling. The only issue is the unarmed part. You can either pick up Tavern Brawler at level 1 with Variant Human, or (if you can muster 13 Dex and Wis) take one level in monk for the unarmed strikes and bonus action attack, the latter of which is pretty nice in combination with your Rage damage bonus. It's suboptimal, but less so than a Strength-based monk.

Dankus Memakus
2018-06-16, 01:59 PM
The monk's features in no way resemble a sumo, aside from being unarmed and being implicitly Asian-themed. Monks are fast and fragile. Sumo wrestlers may be limber, but they aren't very fleet, and all their fat is specifically to absorb blows and make them harder to move. If there's anything the monk doesn't do, it's standing his ground.

The barbarian is much more suitable. They're Strength-based, they can fight unarmoured, and their rage makes them excellent at grappling. The only issue is the unarmed part. You can either pick up Tavern Brawler at level 1 with Variant Human, or (if you can muster 13 Dex and Wis) take one level in monk for the unarmed strikes and bonus action attack, the latter of which is pretty nice in combination with your Rage damage bonus. It's suboptimal, but less so than a Strength-based monk.

See I like the one level dip of monk because sumo is still a martial art so I want the martial arts ability. It just feels really thematic to me.

JackPhoenix
2018-06-16, 02:07 PM
See I like the one level dip of monk because sumo is still a martial art so I want the martial arts ability. It just feels really thematic to me.

"Martial art" doesn't mean "that stuff they do in kung-fu movies". Any formalized combat style is martial art, box, fencing, wrestling... if the character uses a weapon attack with proficiency, it's most likely a martial art, no matter if it comes from a fighter, rogue, barbarian, elf, or a monk.

MrStabby
2018-06-16, 10:24 PM
Probably a strength based rogue with performer background and expertise in performance and athletics.

NecessaryWeevil
2018-06-16, 10:48 PM
Okay, so you want to be strong and unarmed. But what role do you want, exactly? What do you want to do with your unarmed attacks? Do you want to impede the enemy and hold them in place so they can't reach your squishy friends, while your friends pound them? Do you want to resilient and immovable as a mountain? Do you just want to hit really hard? Different emphases suggest different builds.

Naanomi
2018-06-16, 11:10 PM
Valor Bard Gladiator with Barbarian or Monk dip

Pyramid Pug
2018-06-16, 11:16 PM
Valor Bard Gladiator with Barbarian or Monk dip

This has the advantage of the sumo wrestler doing a mean karaoke on the night off with the party!:smallbiggrin:

suplee215
2018-06-17, 09:25 AM
If I were making a Sumo Wrestler subclass I would probably make it a Barbarian who uses ki points from it's subclass. Unarmored defense for a Sumo Wrestler I feel should be more from Con than Wis.