PDA

View Full Version : Can haste affect a creature multiple times?

Silkensword
2018-06-16, 04:19 AM
If yes, this has gamebreaking implications. Warding Glyph can be used to store Haste. The "harms other creatures" bit is fluff, and even if you disagree, the semantics of the sentence do not make sense- the glyph itself is not harmful to anyone in any way, the triggered spell effect is.

Assuming you rule this to be true, you could have a bunch of coins inscribed with a glyph of warding -- haste.
Give them the same command word, preferably in a rare language you speak to avoid fun accidents.

speak the command word.

Assuming you can be affected by haste multiple times, your speed now doubles for every single rune you've created. Your AC is going to be absolutely ridiculous- oh, and you get that many hasted actions, also?

Please tell me I'm wrong so my DM isn't gonna go "Rocks fall, everyone dies" on my party once I, inevitably, do this!

LudicSavant
2018-06-16, 04:21 AM
No, it cannot affect a creature multiple times in the manner you describe.

The effects of different spells add together while the durations of those spells overlap. The effects of the same spell cast multiple times don't combine, however. lnstead, the most potent effect-such as the highest bonus-from those castings applies while their durations overlap.
For example, if two clerics cast bless on the same target, that character gains the spell's benefit only once; he or she doesn't get to roll two bonus dice.

Silkensword
2018-06-16, 04:28 AM
Awww dang. Thank you!