PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Doppelkind (Eberron changelings in pathfinder)

Aniikinis
2018-06-16, 08:14 AM
I've always loved changelings, both the folklore kind and the Eberron kind. So I figured I might as well do this instead of working on the campaign I'm supposed to be writing up. :smallcool:

Short sweet and to the point, Eberron changelings in pathfinder with as little change as I could make it.

Doppelkind (RP 15)
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/eberron/images/9/93/Changeling1.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/159?cb=20140213160338
Two unshifted doppelkind notice you looking at them and ready to defend themselves.

Standard Racial Traits
Ability Score Racial Traits: Doppelkind gain a +2 racial bonus to two separate ability scores of their choice at creation to represent their varied nature.
Type: Doppelkind are humanoids with the Shapechanger subtype.
Size: Doppelkind are Medium creatures and thus receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Speed: Doppelkind have a base speed of 30 feet.
Languages: Doppelkind begin play speaking Common. Doppelkind with high intelligence scores can choose from the following: Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Gnome, Halfling, or Terran
Defense Racial Traits

Doppelganger Resistance: Doppelkind gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws made against charm and sleep spells and effects.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits

Heritage: Doppelkind count as both doppelgangers and humans for all intents and purposes.
Skill Bonus: Doppelkind have a +2 racial bonus on Bluff, Intimidate, and Sense Motive checks.
Skill Training: Bluff and Linguistics are always considered class skills for doppelkind.
Magical Racial Traits

Change Shape (Su): A doppelkind can assume the appearance of a Small or Medium humanoid as the alter self spell, save that she does not adjust its ability scores.

kglusing
2018-06-17, 10:32 PM
They're balanced, and have what you'd expect from the changelings in Eberron. That said, I've always felt something more could be done with them as a whole.

In 5e, the race is given +2 Dex, +2 Cha. Using pathfinder's race creation rules, this would be fine as it would only increase their points by 1 (they're at ~10-11 now with everything they do have). That would give them some more personality (no pun intended) and the flexibility (okay, pun intended that time) to let them shine besides just slapping the +2 any one bonus on them and calling it a day.

But, that's more personal preference than anything. As mentioned above, they're balanced as they are if that's what you want to play. :)

Aniikinis
2018-06-19, 08:10 AM
They're balanced, and have what you'd expect from the changelings in Eberron. That said, I've always felt something more could be done with them as a whole.

In 5e, the race is given +2 Dex, +2 Cha. Using pathfinder's race creation rules, this would be fine as it would only increase their points by 1 (they're at ~10-11 now with everything they do have). That would give them some more personality (no pun intended) and the flexibility (okay, pun intended that time) to let them shine besides just slapping the +2 any one bonus on them and calling it a day.

But, that's more personal preference than anything. As mentioned above, they're balanced as they are if that's what you want to play. :)

Yeah, I always play changelings as the socialite/urbanites that they are. Honestly that sounds like a good idea and really helps with the flavour of the race. I think I'm do a bit of a different take on the changelings with a switched up ability adjustment gimmick.