PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Making Automatic Bonus Progression better

lord pringle
2018-06-16, 06:18 PM
One of my least favorite things in all of 3.P is the magic item treadmill that requires such strict monitoring of how much money players get and also means not handing out goofy stuff in favor of things needed to keep players relevant. So naturally, I'm a huge fan of the automatic bonus progression rules from Unchained. The problem is is that i don't feel they go far enough and are, much like just about everything else in this edition, weighted more in favor of magic users than mundanes.
When I've used it, I at least house ruled it so that you can swap the physical and mental stat boosts at your discretion, but, once again, I don't think that's enough. Does anyone have any ideas to make it on par with regular items or homebrew that does this well?

Grod_The_Giant
2018-06-16, 06:29 PM
I did a fairly extensive project here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?357810-Chopping-Down-the-Christmas-Tree-Low-Magic-Item-Rules) that involved pairing numerical bonuses with special bonus feats that gave magical (or non-magical-but-badass) abilities to replace item-derived special abilities. (Also optional tier-based progressions for said feats)

ericgrau
2018-06-17, 03:33 PM
The safest way without risking a massive untested balance upset is to give WBL but with a different flavor.
Change 75% WBL into points that you can spend on buffs similar to items. Keep 25% WBL in items that don't fit well with that flavor. Including the goofy stuff. Give out a little extra for non-magical items, especially at low level. And slightly more than what I stated because splitting WBL into those strict categories makes you slightly less versatile. So maybe 80% and 30%, plus all of your level 1-3 WBL as gold on top of still getting the full 80% as points.

The drawback here is that it's still just as difficult for rookies, so making some suggestions can help. But then you risk missing some other items that still fit the flavor, so you don't want to make your suggestions the only options. I have some ability point tables in the system in my sig, but now I think they shouldn't be the only options.

Psyren
2018-06-17, 05:06 PM
The problem is is that i don't feel they go far enough and are, much like just about everything else in this edition, weighted more in favor of magic users than mundanes.

Your best bet is to try it out and see what specifically needs tweaking. It's difficult to say in a vacuum where the shortcomings of the system might be for your specific group, especially when the amount of wealth a character needs to function tends to be very dependent on, well, their character.

Eldaran
2018-06-17, 08:51 PM
Here's what I did for ABP. (http://www.bpfindley.com/Bonus.html) A big change was making magic weapons and armor less punishing to use with ABP, granting Physical and Mental stats at the same level, and allowing items that grant bonuses to saves etc as long as it's not the same type as ABP bonus. Several other smaller changes as well.

Sun Elemental
2018-06-19, 04:10 AM
The safest way without risking a massive untested balance upset is to give WBL but with a different flavor.
Change 75% WBL into points that you can spend on buffs similar to items. Keep 25% WBL in items that don't fit well with that flavor.

Same. Except I didn't keep a constant 75%.
They get 50% WBL at normal treasure. Then they start earning stat points at level 3. At first it's 100% WBL as stat points. Then it decays to 75% WBL of stats by level 9, 50% WBL at level 15, 32% at level 20. Sure it makes them more 'wealthy' at low levels, but I don't really care.

As seen here:
Combined class Level + Mythic tier: 3 Chakra points. 100%

Combined Level 4: 5 Chakra points 96%
Combined Level 5: 9 Chakra points 92%
Combined Level 6: 14 Chakra points 88%
Combined Level 7: 19 Chakra points 84%
Combined Level 8: 26 Chakra points 80%
Combined Level 9: 34 Chakra points 76%
Combined Level 10: 44 Chakra points 72%
Combined Level 11: 55 Chakra points 68%
Combined Level 12: 69 Chakra points 64%
Combined Level 13: 84 Chakra points 60%
Combined Level 14: 103 Chakra points 56%
Combined Level 15: 124 Chakra points 52%
Combined Level 16: 151 Chakra points 48%
Combined Level 17: 180 Chakra points 44%
Combined Level 18: 212 Chakra points 40%
Combined Level 19: 246 Chakra points. 36%
Combined Level 20: 281 Chakra points. 32%

And then you spend points on the typical Big 6. It works out to each point being 1,000g. If you compare it to the benchmarks in PF Unchained, it's slightly more generous.

Make a specific weapon you own have an enhancement bonus from +1 to +5. This can substitute weapon special abilities that are equivalent to +1, +2, etc, but not special abilities that have a flat cost. They do not need a minimum +1 before buying special abilities.
2 Chakra points for +1, 8 Chakra points for +2, 18 Chakra points for +3, 32 Chakra points for +4, 50 Chakra points for +5.

Give an existing kind of natural attack you have an enhancement bonus from +1 to +5. This can substitute weapon special abilities that are equivalent to +1, +2, etc, but not special abilities that have a flat cost. They do not need a minimum +1 before buying special abilities.
5 Chakra points for +1, 20 Chakra points for +2, 45 Chakra points for +3, 80 Chakra points for +4, 125 Chakra points for +5.

Make a specific shield or armor you own have an enhancement bonus from +1 to +5. This can substitute weapon special abilities that are equivalent to +1, +2, etc, but not special abilities that have a flat cost. They do not need a minimum +1 before buying special abilities.
1 Chakra points for +1, 4 Chakra points for +2, 9 Chakra points for +3, 16 Chakra points for +4, 25 Chakra points for +5.

Make a specific piece of non-magical clothing you own give an armor bonus from +1 to +8, without interfering with class abilities. The clothing can be as little as shirtless man’s loincloth, but usually functions for a monk’s shirt or wizard’s robes. This can substitute armor special abilities that are equivalent to +1, +2, etc, but not special abilities that have a flat cost. They do not need a minimum +1 before buying special abilities.
1 Chakra points for +1, 4 Chakra points for +2, 9 Chakra points for +3, 16 Chakra points for +4,
25 Chakra points for +5, 36 Chakra points for +6, 49 Chakra points for +7, 64 Chakra points for +8.

Give yourself a +1 to +5 Natural armor bonus, +1 to +5 Deflection armor bonus, or both.
2 Chakra points for +1, 8 Chakra points for +2, 18 Chakra points for +3, 32 Chakra points for +4, 50 Chakra points for +5.

Give yourself a Resistance bonus to all three saving throws from +1 to +5.
1 Chakra points for +1, 4 Chakra points for +2, 9 Chakra points for +3, 16 Chakra points for +4, 25 Chakra points for +5.

Give yourself an Enhancement bonus to any number of ability scores, spending Chakra for each ability score, up to +6 per attribute. 4 Chakra points for +2 ability, 16 Chakra points for +4 ability, 36 Chakra points for +6 ability.

Give yourself another spell or extract usable per day, as if you had a high mental ability score. This can be bought multiple times, spending Chakra for each spell.
1 Chakra points for a lvl1 spell, 4 Chakra points for a lvl2 spell, 9 Chakra points for a lvl3 spell,
16 Chakra points for a lvl4 spell, 25 Chakra points for a lvl5 spell, 36 Chakra points for a lvl6 spell.

Give yourself temporary hit points. Each day, you regain 1/2 of these temporary hit points, minimum 1. Each Chakra point gives 1 hp.