PDA

View Full Version : Monster Manual V

Conners
2007-09-08, 11:13 AM
This is for discussion of MMV and answering questions about the book.
Example: What are the main features of MMV? Why should I buy it? Can you give me a few details on monster X? Is there anything in it related to monster Y? Etcetera.

Anxe
2007-09-08, 11:23 AM
Might want to consolidate the 4 and 5 topics as they are almost the exact same thing, but whatever. The MM after three are really weird. They're filled with fluff instead of with new monsters. Also they'll be obsolete in about a year, so I wouldn't suggest buying 4 or 5. 1, 2, and 3 were nice, but really not necessary. Some other MM books besides 4 and 5 that are good are the Fiend Folio and Monsters of Faerun. Those had style and substance.

Skyserpent
2007-09-08, 11:25 AM
Five had some pretty good stuff, actually, the monsters there were fairly well designed and could really keep players on their toes. I actually ran an entire one-shot using only MMV and it turned out great.

But again, It's gonna be obsolete ina year, so meh.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-08, 11:29 AM
Xorvintaal!

bosssmiley
2007-09-08, 02:33 PM
Xorvintaal!

Bless you. :smallbiggrin:

Don't have the book in question, haven't even thought about it. Between MM1-3, FF, various splatbook monsters and some of the fine homebrew on these boards I'm more than catered for in the gribble department.

Bassetking
2007-09-08, 03:09 PM
If you are going to purchase any MM's, make it MM1 and MM5. MM 5 contains two of the hottest things to grace 3.5 since its inception. The Dragons of the Great Game (Xorvintaal!) and the Mindflayers of Thoon.

HOT.

Saph
2007-09-08, 04:41 PM
Our DM just got the MM V a little while ago and he's been sending stuff from it against us. I haven't read the book (so as not to spoil the surprise), but from a player's perspective, the monsters in there are NASTY. Really powerful for their CR. We've been fighting a long guerilla war against a set of three elemental magi and they're incredibly tough opponents. There's also some three-headed undead thing which has a melee attack that does 1d6 Con, twice, Fort save for half, and can take multiple actions in a round, with a CR of 7.

So if you're looking for a challenge, I'd say the MM V critters seem to fit the bill (though it could be that we're only seeing the tougher ones).

- Saph

AslanCross
2007-09-08, 06:05 PM
Stuff I liked:

-Xorvintaal. Good campaign idea.
-Mind Flayers of Thoon: Lower Elder Brain CR, construct made out of Mind Flayer parts, constructs that can change combat modes? Yes please.
-Elemental Magi: The best synergy I've seen between creatures of different alignments. They look cool, too.
-Monstrous Hobgoblins: Great ideas for a more arcane-centered set of hobgoblins. They're not just hobgoblins with class levels too.
-Haunts. Unkillable undead RP challenges with low CRs.

I really don't see "it'll be obsolete next year so don't get it" as a valid reason not to get something. It's not like a cosmic force compels us to use 4.0 and only 4.0 when we still have a lot of 3.5 material we can still use.

Gralamin
2007-09-08, 06:15 PM
This book would be worth it if it just had Xorvintaal and Thoon in it. Instead, you get a bunch of other goodies as well (Ruin Chanters/Elementals, Ushtemoi, Two unique creatures...)!

Fax Celestis
2007-09-08, 06:35 PM
This book would be worth it if it just had Xorvintaal and Thoon in it. Instead, you get a bunch of other goodies as well (Ruin Chanters/Elementals, Ushtemoi, Two unique creatures...)!

...Frostwind Viragos... mmmmmmmm.