PDA

View Full Version : Help finding class abilities that fit my character

EkulNagrom
2018-06-16, 07:55 PM
So the next campaign I'll be in, I'll be a player. And I came up with this character idea, but I'm looking for some advice for what classes to take to achieve the goals I have for this character.

Here's the character: A Variant Human / Half-Orc who's family was in the business of execution. He went into the family business, but not after studying drama for years. He changed execution in his home town, from simple beheadings to detailed monologues atop the wooden stage. The villain, who was an actual criminal, always died of course. He's going on adventures to help keep the business afloat and hopefully create a story of his own.

Or in summery, I'm going to be a big medieval executioner who spins his axe and exaggerates everything.

I plan to go Battle-master to help me act more like this character would, but I'm wondering if there's some multiclass options out there that would help make him over exaggerate things. I've heard of one thing where you get Jump (The spell) and Monk Step of the Wind to jump extremely high in the air (And hopefully drop the enemy you grappled OR drop from the sky out of nowhere... etc)

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of similar ridiculous ideas, so I can make this character shine.

Thanks!

No brains
2018-06-16, 08:22 PM
Well Great Weapon Master is good for chopping into prisoners who are probably restrained and giving advantage. You can even use your bonus action attack to speed things up on heavy days.

Entertainer background would probably be useful thematically.

If your town appreciated the executions, either the rally maneuver or inspiring leader feat could fit in with you character's job.

Spyderson
2018-06-16, 08:43 PM
Theatrics screams bard to me. I was thinking maybe refluff the UA college of satire to fit your needs. Taking 3 levels gets you:

Tumbling Fool
At 3rd level, as a bonus action, you can tumble. When you tumble, you gain the following benefits for the rest of your turn:
You gain the benefits of taking the Dash and Disengage actions.
You gain a climbing speed equal to your current speed.
You take half damage from falling.

Which could be used for a lot of staged antics. Vicious mockery cantrip to help you tear down the vile criminals.

Talionis
2018-06-16, 09:09 PM
I would look at Assassin. When you kill restrained people you learn to hit them where they are most vulnerable, so i could see dipping or more in Rogue.

Quoxis
2018-06-17, 10:57 AM
Hunter ranger enables you to hit more targets with your attacks with horde breaker - combine that with the „sweeping attack“ maneuver to hit up to 3 opponents at once (4 after multiattack), possibly beheading 3 mooks in one giant slash. Seems theatrical enough.

If you’re all about getting better jump height/length, you can also take a look at the sword coast adventurers guide for the totem barbarians‘ tiger features - 3 feet jump height or 10 feet jump distance added to your normal amount while raging. Combined with thief rogue (+dex mod to jump length) and monk levels (doubling jump distance) and assuming a decent 16 dex and 13 str, you can now make a running jump of 7 feet height or a whooping 50 feet distance (given that your movement speed allows for 60 feet per turn - you need to use the dash bonus action from step of the wind for that), all of that technically without magic, any utensils and with appropriate stats at its starting level (8).
Just for reference: the current world record for the broad jump olympic discipline is a bit below 30 feet (which our build doubles), while the high jump world record is at about 8 feet - get a higher str score if you want to beat that.

If you invest in cha for a decent performance skill, you should look at the swashbuckler rogue - adding cha to your initiative seems neat, but at 9th level you get a free out of combat charm ability which you can use to focus an opponent‘s fire on yourself when in combat.

Atavis
2018-06-17, 12:22 PM
So using the standard array and playing around with a level 5 build:

Abilities:
Str 15 +1 = 16
Dex 12 = 12
Con 13 +1 = 14
Int 08 = 08
Wis 10 = 10
Cha 14 +2 = 16

V Human
Race Skill: Perception
Race Feat: Magic Initiate (Thaumaturgy, Toll the Dead, Ceremony)
Race Abilities: +1 Str and +1 Cha

Background: Gladiator
Background Tool: Wargong
Entertainer Routines: Actor, Spectatcular combat, Storyteller

Class: Bard
ASI at 4: +1 Con and +1 Cha
Proficiencies: Athletics, Intimidation, Persuasion
Tools: Drum, Horn, Lyre

College: Valor
Expertise: Performance and Athletics

Bard Spells: Minor Illusion, Prestidigiation, Vicious Mockery, Cure Wounds, Detect Magic, Hideous Laughter, Identify, Hold Person, Invisibility, Shatter

Total Skills: Acrobatics +4, Animal Handling +1, Arcana +0, Athletics +9, Deception +4, History +0, Insight +1, Intimidation +6, Investigation +0, Medicine +1, Nature +0, Perception +3, Performance +9, Persuasion +6, Religion +0, Sleight of Hand +2, Stealth +2, Survival +1
Senses passive Perception 13

Equip with some armor, a 2 handed sword (or axe), a sword and shield.

• Your background "By Popular Demand" feature keeps you in the spotlight and getting future jobs wherever you go.

• Cast Unearthly Chorus and Thaumaturgy before your execution. Now you are loud and have advantage on performance. Continued uses of your war gong (i.e. shield or drum), Thaumaturgy, Prestidigitation and Minor Illusion should make your performance very theatric and memorable for the crowd. You, also, have the skills to make the necessary rolls to do your performance (+9) and athletic (+9) final cut. Just get descriptive and gritty!

• You are, also, no slouch in combat either. You have a combination of save or sucks spells, damage and suck spells and the strength do beat creatures down.

ImproperJustice
2018-06-17, 12:54 PM
Find a way to pick up the Thuamaturgy cantrip.

Nothing helps theatrics like a triple volume booming voice followed by the sound of an eagle’s cry!

EkulNagrom
2018-06-17, 10:34 PM
Thanks for so much feedback!

I forgot about some of the fun Bard spells that I could use. I've never heard of Unearthly Chorus, but it looks like exactly what I've been needing! Tiger Totem sounds fun, along with Swashbuckler Rogue.

I may also take a dip into Wizard (probably just one) to get Find Familiar and Jump (And, because I'll have at least one level in Bard, hopefully get something like Enhance Ability or Enlarge for theatrics)