PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Weapon Specialization and Other Fighter Only Feats

Thurbane
2018-06-17, 01:59 PM
So, a question in the Simple RAW thread got me thinking.

Q40. Does a rogue with the alternate class feature that trades sneak attack for bonus feats (as a fighter) qualify for fighter only feats such as weapon specialization?

A 40

No. They still aren't a Fighter.

A 040 additional info

Warblade, Bloodstorm Blade and Justice of Weald and Woe all gain "virtual fighter levels" to qualify for these type of feats.

In addition, some classes get Weapon Specialization as a bonus feat without needing to meet the prereqs, such as Favored Soul 12.

...not exactly what was asked, but handy to know, nonetheless.

Besides the classes I mentioned, are there any others that can count as a Fighter for these type of feats?

I seem to recall some kind of Dragon mag Monk variant that can pretty much just flat out ignore feat reqs for Fighter bonus feats?

Also, here's my quick list of classes that get Weapon Specialization as a bonus feat without needing the usual reqs:

Divine Crusader 5
Favoured Soul 12
Pious Templar 3
Revenant Blade 1 (note: only gains feat for one day at a time, and it's specified you cannot use the bonus feat to qualify for anything else)
Templar 1

Any additional thoughts or sources?

Cheers - T

skunk3
2018-06-17, 02:20 PM
I'd rule that if a Rogue is taking the ACF that gives them fighter bonus feat progression then they qualify for "fighter-only" bonus feats. Obviously that's not RAW but I'd houserule that.

darkdragoon
2018-06-17, 02:48 PM
Spellsword, Hospitaler and Vengeance Knight all seem to be "you can haz fighter bonus feat" although I suppose it's vague enough to be questionable.

Andezzar
2018-06-17, 02:51 PM
I'd rule that if a Rogue is taking the ACF that gives them fighter bonus feat progression then they qualify for "fighter-only" bonus feats. Obviously that's not RAW but I'd houserule that.Laying traps for your players is not nice. Weapon specialization is not a good feat, there is no need to make it a choice for more characters.

Goaty14
2018-06-17, 03:28 PM
I seem to recall some kind of Dragon mag Monk variant that can pretty much just flat out ignore feat reqs for Fighter bonus feats?

Martial Monk, Dragon Mag #310. It gains Ftr feats at lvls 1 2 and 6, but since it's a monk bonus feat, it ignores all prerequisites, meaning you can questionably take [Epic] [Fighter] feats. Even if not, Weapon Supremacy sounds pretty cool.

Thurbane
2018-06-17, 04:51 PM
Spellsword, Hospitaler and Vengeance Knight all seem to be "you can haz fighter bonus feat" although I suppose it's vague enough to be questionable.

Hmm, you're right about those. They offer Fighter bonus feats, without specifying if you need to meet reqs or not.

And there is always some contention as to whether bonus feats ignore reqs or not, unless specified. Racial/monster bonus feats are one thing, but class bonus feats are less well defined in many cases.

Laying traps for your players is not nice. Weapon specialization is not a good feat, there is no need to make it a choice for more characters.

I agree that's it's not a great feat, but is sometimes required for PrC and other reqs; so getting it from sources other than Fighter can be helpful in some cases.

Martial Monk, Dragon Mag #310. It gains Ftr feats at lvls 1 2 and 6, but since it's a monk bonus feat, it ignores all prerequisites, meaning you can questionably take [Epic] [Fighter] feats. Even if not, Weapon Supremacy sounds pretty cool.

That's the one I was trying to think of. Thank you.