PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [Subclass] Path of the Colossus – An Unarmed Barbarian, updated

Legimus
2018-06-17, 02:02 PM
I recently posted my idea for an unarmed Barbarian (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?561127-Subclass-Path-of-the-Mountain-%96-An-Unarmed-Barbarian), and after a lot of helpful feedback I have re-branded it the Path of the Colossus. I think this version is much more balanced, has a clearer mechanical focus, and is more fun to play as a result. Homebrewery link for those that are interested. (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/S1Z-duDWZQ)

Path of the Colossus
Those who walk the Path of the Colossus are defined by their discipline, focus, and resolve. They identify with the element of earth, and often come from mountainous regions. Barbarians who follow this path learn to fight without weapons, channeling their rage to give them tremendous physical power. They take a methodical approach to combat, slowly breaking down their enemy's defenses with overwhelming strength. These warriors are implaccable forces of nature, capable of crushing rock and withstanding devastating blows.

Hands of Stone
Beginning when you choose this path at 3rd level, you can roll a d4 in place of the normal damage for your unarmed strikes. This die increases to a d6 at 6th level, a d8 at 12th level, and a d10 at 18th level. When you make an unarmed strike as part of the Attack action on your turn, you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action if you are not wielding a shield.

In addition, your unarmed strikes count as melee weapon attacks.

Fury of the Mountain
At 3rd level, while raging you can use a bonus action to execute a special technique. You cannot use these techniques if you are wielding a shield or wearing heavy armor.
Punishing Strike. Make an unarmed strike, but do not add your rage damage or Strength modifier to the damage roll. On a hit, attempt to shove your target.
Earthen Grip. Make an unarmed strike, but do not add your rage damage or Strength modifier to the damage roll. On a hit, attempt to grapple your target.
Brace. Gain temporary hit points equal to your Constitution modifier + half your Barbarian level (rounded down). You lose these hit points at the start of your next turn.

Unstoppable Force
Starting at 6th level, your rage makes it harder to resist your attacks. While raging, you gain the following benefits:
Your unarmed strikes count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.
Your unarmed strikes deal double damage to objects and structures.

Immovable Object
At 10th level, your rage grants you strength unparalleled. Your carrying capacity is doubled, as is the weight you can push, drag, or lift. While raging, you count as one size larger when you attempt to grapple or shove a creature, and you are immune to being pushed, pulled, or knocked prone.

Titan's Fist
When you reach 14th level, you learn how to throw all your strength into a single crushing blow. As an action, make an unarmed strike against a creature no more than one size larger than you. If it hits, the damage is doubled and the target must succeed a Strength (Athletics) check contested by your Strength (Athletics) check or be pushed 25 feet away from you and knocked prone. You can’t use this feature more than once on your turn.

While raging, you count as one size larger when you use this feature.

Toddleson
2019-06-26, 11:54 AM
This is awesome! I love the idea of a grappler class, and this is exactly what I imagine in my head. You grapple someone, throw them to the ground and then start beating them down with your fists! And your level 10 feature lets you even do that to Huge creatures!!

Ogrillian
2019-06-28, 12:33 AM
Two words

HULK SMASH!

Ganryu
2019-06-29, 02:34 AM
Beautiful actually, and pretty fairly balanced. It's strong, but not overbearing.

I'd say on 14th lvl, make it can do equal to strength mod, but yeah.

Bjarkmundur
2019-06-29, 05:32 AM
Homebrewery link doesn't work, but the class is gooood

Grod_The_Giant
2019-06-29, 01:58 PM
Punishing Strike and Earthen Grasp are unnecessarily harsh. A bonus action to shove or grab is perfectly appropriate-- requiring an attack roll as well is just plain rude. Overall it looks kinda on the weak side.

There's also the issue that, well... this kinda just looks like you took a Monk dip or Tavern Brawler. What makes it unique, at least before the 14th level ability?