PDA

View Full Version : PCs As Businessmen

Fax Celestis
2007-09-08, 11:34 AM
Now, every once in a while I have a party who wants to settle down and stop adventuring. While a strange occurrence, it does happen. My question is as follows: does any source deal with PCs as landowners, whether it be a hut or a grand keep? How much does a home cost? I know the DMG-II has rules about running a business, but what are the financial costs for starting one?

ufo
2007-09-08, 11:46 AM
The DMG has a small table for house prices, though I can't find it right now. I'm quite sure it's not in the SRD, so even if I found it, I couldn't tell. It's a secret, tee-hee.

Anxe
2007-09-08, 11:49 AM
There are rules for getting money from a business under profession or Craft in the PHB i think. For starting one you need to buy the building and the tools. The tools prices are in the PHB. The building prices are in the DMG somewhere. Then they need to advertise (Advertising in medieval times was bribing tavern keepers to tell people to come to your place).

Homes might be better to buy using the Stronghold Builder's Guide, but you can use the rough prices as listed in the DMG if you want.

Crow
2007-09-08, 12:04 PM
There are rules for getting money from a business under profession or Craft in the PHB i think. For starting one you need to buy the building and the tools. The tools prices are in the PHB. The building prices are in the DMG somewhere. Then they need to advertise (Advertising in medieval times was bribing tavern keepers to tell people to come to your place).

Homes might be better to buy using the Stronghold Builder's Guide, but you can use the rough prices as listed in the DMG if you want.

Advertising in D&D can mean hiring a wizard to cast and make permanent a Magic Mouth spell at the city gates.

Jasdoif
2007-09-08, 12:07 PM
My question is as follows: does any source deal with PCs as landowners, whether it be a hut or a grand keep? How much does a home cost? I know the DMG-II has rules about running a business, but what are the financial costs for starting one?DMG-II also has rules for starting a business, including determining the initial investment required.

Pokemaster
2007-09-08, 12:20 PM
Depending on what they want to do, the Stronghold Builder's Handbook might be useful. It's got a lot of details about construction time and cost, and I think it also has a few things on upkeep.

AKA_Bait
2007-09-08, 12:56 PM
Although there aren't actual tables and stats the dungeonomicon (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=659653)article has some pretty good stuff to say about it. I was, thanks to the wonderful people of the boards, recently reintroduced to this article.

Green Bean
2007-09-08, 01:20 PM
Advertising in D&D can mean hiring a wizard to cast and make permanent a Magic Mouth spell at the city gates.

Or, if you really want the customers, a Symbol of Persuasion. :smallbiggrin:

Citizen Joe
2007-09-08, 01:28 PM
Building prices are listed here in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm#buyingBuildings)

dyslexicfaser
2007-09-08, 03:30 PM
Depending on what they want to do, the Stronghold Builder's Handbook might be useful. It's got a lot of details about construction time and cost, and I think it also has a few things on upkeep.
The SBH is fantastic for use in constructing and fortifying everything from a cottage to a grand keep, but nothing about businesses or the like. If it's not out of place, Stormwrack is good if they want to buy and man their own ship.

Merlin the Tuna
2007-09-08, 03:40 PM
I seem to remember Sharn: The City of Towers having a little bit on everyday living sort of stuff, but having not read the book I can't say for sure.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-09-08, 04:20 PM
Man, I had no idea buildings were so cheap. That's it- I'm going into the real estate business in my next campaign.

Arang
2007-09-08, 04:26 PM
Evil characters can substitute "advertising" with "creating refugees". And when I say "create refugees" I mean "destroy villages and crops but not people, then destroy your competitors, then after people move in, "adjust" prices".

Just selling houses could provide an almost endless array of opportunities and techniques. In fact, you could probably base an entire campaign on it.

Anxe
2007-09-08, 04:38 PM

There are probably laws against that which could get your Wizard arrested.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-08, 11:24 PM
Power of Faerun takes a stab at it in various modes nobility, clergy, merchant prince and heralds.

A Magic Medieval Society is really nice for developing manors and kingdoms based on D&D demographics. It goes into a lot of useful detail. Here's a link to a review:

http://www.d20zines.com/v7/node/405

Dervag
2007-09-09, 01:14 AM
Advertising in D&D can mean hiring a wizard to cast and make permanent a Magic Mouth spell at the city gates.That might be illegal, not least because it would annoy the heck out of the gate guards.

"Yeah, that jerk wizard cast a spell that tells everybody who comes past to buy Sorceror's Fruit Pies! What he didn't realize was that five hundred people a day come through that gate! I, alone have heard that damn advertisment half a million times!

"So, we took up a collection and got it dispelled..."

TheOOB
2007-09-09, 01:30 AM
Generally speaking, if the PCs retire from adventuring, the campaign is over unless they want to shift to a different game system. If they run a buissness while adventuring I assume that there isn't a large portion of profit left over, and that goes twords expansion.

MrNexx
2007-09-09, 01:35 AM
Generally speaking, if the PCs retire from adventuring, the campaign is over unless they want to shift to a different game system. If they run a buissness while adventuring I assume that there isn't a large portion of profit left over, and that goes twords expansion.

The game never ends.

You want to start a business? Did you pay off the Thieves' Guild? How about supply? Did you ensure that it's not going to be messed with? Are your protected?

dyslexicfaser
2007-09-09, 01:37 AM
The game never ends.

You want to start a business? Did you pay off the Thieves' Guild? How about supply? Did you ensure that it's not going to be messed with? Are your protected?
Are orcs going to invade in the middle of construction?

MrNexx
2007-09-09, 02:28 AM
Are orcs going to invade in the middle of construction?

Depends on where you are. If you are building a keep on the borderlands, yeah, that's a big problem to worry about. If you're in the city state of an invincible overlord, you're probably going to have to look at thieves' guilds, bureaucracies, and investments.

Dullyanna
2007-09-09, 11:02 AM
For all you know, Lawful Stupid paladins will launch an attack after an improper application of Feng-Shui.

Shas aia Toriia
2007-09-09, 11:11 AM
This is why it helps to start your business as an adventurers guild. Sure, there are more people attacking, but you have high level folk to fight them off, and you have a reason (as in, not getting arrested) for stocking lots of weapons, armor and magic items.

dyslexicfaser
2007-09-09, 01:20 PM
For all you know, Lawful Stupid paladins will launch an attack after an improper application of Feng-Shui.
Or worse! (http://www.the-isb.com/?p=97)

These are the risks you take with a campaign like this.