PDA

View Full Version : Character build help for city & dungeon

Degwerks
2018-06-17, 07:26 PM
We will be doing a city and dungeon campaign and I'm wanting to make a social/scouting/skirmisher type of character.

What I'm partial too so far is College of Whispers Bard 6-7 (for the psychic damage, spells, expertise and stealing their shadow.), Gloom Stalker Revised Ranger 5, Swashbuckler Rogue 8.

What I'm unsure of is where to keep that last level. Bard 7 gives 4th level spells and overall a 5th level slot, Revised Ranger gives another favored enemy and ups it to +4 damage and still allows me overall a 5th level spell slot, Swasbuckler 9 gives the charming ability and an extra 1d6 sneak attack. Bard seems a winner here though. But 1 level of sorcerer or warlock would be awesome for the cantrips.

Race I need something a Dex/Cha bonus with darkvision. Looking at the new Tieflings in Mordinkainens so far. I love the extra spell options. It will be a standard point buy but we get a +4 to lowest stat, basically giving us a 10 for lowest ability. I want to max out my dex if possible. Will be starting as a rogue for 1st level.

Nifft
2018-06-17, 07:56 PM
I want to max out my dex if possible. Will be starting as a rogue for 1st level.

Are you starting at level 1?

Degwerks
2018-06-17, 08:17 PM
Yes we will start at level 1. I believe I'm going to be a 1/2 Elf with the Faction Agent background. Starting scores of 16 dex & cha, 13 wis & con, 12 int and 10 str. I'll bump dex to 20 then wis & con to 14 and I'll have 1 ASI left.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-06-17, 08:54 PM
I reccomend Tabaxi Whispers Bard 6/ Chainlock (hex or goo) 5/ Gloomstalker 5/ Rogue 4

Now it’s a heavy multiclass build but in total it gives a lot of utility, scouting, skirmishing and social infiltration without doing terrible damage wise.

Most of this you already know but the warlock is there because the invocations and invisible Familiar are amazing. Now with this build you definitely want charisma and Dex as your max stats with 14 in wisdom. So I suggest Hexblade if you want the curse for more damage or GOO for telepathy shenanigans.

The invocations I suggest will be voice of the Chain master, misty visions and mask of many faces. 2 of these will save you spell slots galore, and the other will be used for social manipulation.

Now you won’t be getting many feats if any unless you go Hexblade and only use charisma, but if you get some I suggest the following:
Alert- nothing surprises you. Pretty valuable.
Skulker- best vision. If you decide to forgo any of the invos for Devils sight you have the best vision in game.
Keen Mind- you don’t forget anything if you keep a journal updated every month. You know what time it is and your directions.
Observant- read lips from a distance= free information.
Actor- mimic peoples voice. Add this to disguise self and boom you are them.

So some useful combos:

Voice of chain Master lets you speak to someone from a distance. If you mimic that persons voice and have your familiar invisible while speaking you can pass it off as being their conscience. You can also use this with Words of Terrorfrom a distance since you are still speaking to the person, just using your familiar as a conduit.

Psychic blades and Sneak attack gives you plenty of burst along with extra attack when you finally get it but til then the GFB and B.B. should be enough combined with hex.

There’s more but I feel like I made my point. Lots of stuff this build does well but to be fair it’s stretched pretty thin so tre progression is up to you. I recommend starting with warlock or Bard. Bard starts with most of what you want, and warlock gives you the invocations and familiar quicker which add a lot to this.

Degwerks
2018-06-18, 10:25 AM
Some very interesting ideas Mortis. Thank you.

You got me thinking a little more on splashing in or adding a lot of Hexblade. 6 levels in both Whispers & Hexblade would allow me to steal both their Shadow and their Soul. Take their identity and enslave them as a Specter.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-06-18, 10:34 AM
Some very interesting ideas Mortis. Thank you.

You got me thinking a little more on splashing in or adding a lot of Hexblade. 6 levels in both Whispers & Hexblade would allow me to steal both their Shadow and their Soul. Take their identity and enslave them as a Specter.

It be pretty sinister and I approve. Take one less level of rogue rather than ranger since you want extra attack which is better than going pact of blade. Chain does more for you and requires less invos.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-06-18, 10:39 AM
I reccomend Tabaxi Whispers Bard 6/ Chainlock (hex or goo) 5/ Gloomstalker 5/ Rogue 4

I think this is good but I don't think I would include the Chainlock. Or at least I didn't think to add it I would have gone with a few more levels into ranger and bard with a few in rogue. Tabaxi is the perfect race though.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-06-18, 12:20 PM
I think this is good but I don't think I would include the Chainlock. Or at least I didn't think to add it I would have gone with a few more levels into ranger and bard with a few in rogue. Tabaxi is the perfect race though.

chainlock gives you more at will utility and saves spell slots. there's also some SAD benefits with hexblade which open up feats. also some of the best cantrips in game.

I wouldnt say its better than more levels in the other classes but its definitely on par, and i'd say worth it.