PDA

View Full Version : HexBlade Warlock Optimization

ajrockstarr
2018-06-17, 09:54 PM
Currently at level 3 with my hexblade warlock. I would like help in min/maxing this character for damage and survivabilty. I was hoping for help along the lines of what feats or ASI’s to take at X level, same with invocations, the campaign is gonna take us all the way to level 20 but that’s a long ways down the road. Currently I’m a half-elf, we used point buy and my stats are as follows

17 (had this at 17 with the idea to take Elven Accuracy at level 4)

Grod_The_Giant
2018-06-18, 07:14 AM
Unless you're planning to take a +1 Cha half-feat, there's no reason to start with an odd ability score. Otherwise... What's your concept? Since you mentioned Elven Accuracy, I'm assuming you're looking at Great Weapon Mastery as well?

nickl_2000
2018-06-18, 07:20 AM
What role are you playing in the party? What is your playstyle? What other classes are around?

These are thing that assist us with your character.

Spiritchaser
2018-06-18, 09:14 AM
Currently at level 3 with my hexblade warlock. I would like help in min/maxing this character for damage and survivabilty. I was hoping for help along the lines of what feats or ASI’s to take at X level, same with invocations, the campaign is gonna take us all the way to level 20 but that’s a long ways down the road. Currently I’m a half-elf, we used point buy and my stats are as follows

17 (had this at 17 with the idea to take Elven Accuracy at level 4)

17 CHA + Elven Accuracy at 4 can make perfect sense, if Elven Accuracy makes sense for your build.

Are you going Blade pact? Are you planning on being mostly in melee?

Are you planning on heavy weapons?

What does the rest of your party look like?

ajrockstarr
2018-06-18, 10:13 PM
My main role for the party is Damage/Utility, I was looking to take elven accuracy at 4 for the +1 CHA hence the odd number, and then possibly GWM and PAM, idk if this is the best option for damage however as I’ve not gotten to play this sort of character much higher than level 5 or so. The rest of our party is a Barb, a fighter, and a cleric I believe. I plan to take pact of the blade and make use of GWM and PAM with my summoned weapons. My DM has also allowed me to take the other levels of improved pact weapon from unearthed arcana getting all the way to +3 once I’ve gotten high enough level to do so of course.

Spiritchaser
2018-06-19, 05:27 AM
My main role for the party is Damage/Utility, I was looking to take elven accuracy at 4 for the +1 CHA hence the odd number, and then possibly GWM and PAM, idk if this is the best option for damage however as I’ve not gotten to play this sort of character much higher than level 5 or so. The rest of our party is a Barb, a fighter, and a cleric I believe. I plan to take pact of the blade and make use of GWM and PAM with my summoned weapons. My DM has also allowed me to take the other levels of improved pact weapon from unearthed arcana getting all the way to +3 once I’ve gotten high enough level to do so of course.

This can be a very strong build and I think you’re on the right track.

The challenge is finding te patience for all the feats you’ll want.

Personally I’d do Elven Accuracy at 4, GWM at 8 and PAM at 12 with the caveat that you may find you need resilient con before that.

If your cleric runs bless a lot you may also be able to delay Elven Accuracy in favour of GWM earlier. This will help with con saves too

There is also an argument for taking PAM earlier. On balance, I think GWM earlier is stronger, but PAM first is plenty good too.

With PAM before GWM you’ll generally do less damage, but you will have an easier time with darkness in a party setting, at least against non reach opponents.

nickl_2000
2018-06-19, 06:34 AM

Given everything you mentioned, you have a solid build. There really isn't much that you need to worry about other than when you should GWM and when you shouldn't, but you will figure that out as you go. As others have said, resilient con would be a solid choice so you don't lose concentration. I think your only real worry will be encumbrance since your strength is so low, but that can easily be solved by a donkey or hireling.