PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed How Could We Pit the Dark Powers Against the Lady of Pain?

unseenmage
2018-06-18, 04:50 AM
Just what the thread titles asks; How could one pit the Dark Powers of Ravenloft against the Lady of Pain or the reverse?

Best I can come up with is to Programmed Amnesia/Mindrape someone the Dark Powers actively interfere with to worship her painful ladyship.

The point is to put them against each other actively, not to necessarily debate which plot-monster would win in a fight.

And yeah as a GM it's just a matter of handwavium but I'm more curious how we might accomplish such more from a player's perspective.

Eldan
2018-06-18, 06:16 AM
Well, there's two massive problems.

First, we don't know much about either of them. It's all speculation. I'm not even sure there's any source on the lady objecting to someone worshipping her outside of Sigil.

Two, I don't think either of them have ever left their own domains.

Hooooowever. The Lady hates any and all interference with her servants. The Dark Powers are always interested in getting new people.

So, find a way to push a Dabus into the mists? The Lady would probably kill you for that, but it's a way. Then you'd also find out if the Lady can open a portal to Ravenloft to get her own back.

Khedrac
2018-06-18, 07:15 AM
The Dark Powers are always interested in getting new people.
I would disagree with this - I would say that the Dark Powers are always interested in getting new suitable people - without some great tragic evil for them to punish you for there's no fun and little interest.
In the original Ravenloft boxed set there was a reasonable expectation that PC parties would travel to the domains, play an adventure (i.e. be used against one of the darklords) and then get to travel home again - they were not necessarily suitable material to become residents - either as darklords (lesser or greater) or as dwellers in a domain.

So, find a way to push a Dabus into the mists? The Lady would probably kill you for that, but it's a way. Then you'd also find out if the Lady can open a portal to Ravenloft to get her own back.
I would be very careful with this sort of plan (if not with this entire goal) - it's the sort of action sequence that might lead to the mists becoming interested in you and a new permanent resident...

Eldan
2018-06-18, 07:24 AM
Oh, true. But I'd argue any plan that sets the Lady and the Dark Powers against each other is likely to result in both of them being interested in you.

NecroDancer
2018-06-18, 07:55 AM
They might fight over who gets to kill Vecna. (I really hate the Die Vecna Die Module).

Pex
2018-06-18, 07:57 AM
Say there never was a Portal between Sigil and Ravenloft, but now there is. It was created in Ravenloft, permanently opened, with the intent of seeping in its essence into Sigil to consume it. With Sigil in Ravenloft, now the all the Planes are vulnerable via the Portals.

Crake
2018-06-18, 08:36 AM
Say there never was a Portal between Sigil and Ravenloft, but now there is. It was created in Ravenloft, permanently opened, with the intent of seeping in its essence into Sigil to consume it. With Sigil in Ravenloft, now the all the Planes are vulnerable via the Portals.

If I recall correctly, the lady of pain has ultimate control over which portals do and do not open in sigil, so she could just nope such a plan.

unseenmage
2018-06-18, 08:48 AM
If I recall correctly, the lady of pain has ultimate control over which portals do and do not open in sigil, so she could just nope such a plan.

That and IIRC the Mists already reach across planes and even cosmologies fo snag whatever they want.

Psyren
2018-06-18, 09:07 AM
They might fight over who gets to kill Vecna. (I really hate the Die Vecna Die Module).

Isn't he the Batmeme/Xanatos of 2e? Maybe he finds a way to pit them against each other?

Eldan
2018-06-18, 09:26 AM
Probably would. That entire line of adventures was just utter stupidity.

Pex
2018-06-18, 12:20 PM

That the Portal exists anyway despite her would be the point, raising her ire.

Segev
2018-06-19, 01:50 PM
Y'know, "The Mists of Ravenloft are appearing in Sigil and both whisking away and depositing various creatures" would be a good seed for an adventure in its own right.

Goaty14
2018-06-19, 01:56 PM

But then don't all of the portals close and Sigil (the hub of the planes, right?) then locks off contact with everybody else? At the very least, those portals aren't opening any time soon.

Spore
2018-06-19, 02:10 PM
Who says both entities are separate and not the same? :smallamused: