PDA

View Full Version : Heighten spell prereqs

Efrate
2018-06-18, 10:34 AM
I had an idea for something silly and I was looking at feats and noticed something, heighten spell has no prereqs, including having the ability to cast spells. Looking at the srd, even though it's a metamagic, a metamagic feat has no spellcasting prereqs even. This doesn't appear to be spelled out anywhere? I get the rai, but does it not have this raw?

Is this correct? Can random fighter actually take heighten spell as his level 1 normal feat?

Bad Wolf
2018-06-18, 10:53 AM
Yes, but they can't really do anything with it. Though its not like a fighter is feat-starved...

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-06-18, 10:59 AM
Yes, but they can't really do anything with it. Though its not like a fighter is feat-starved...This does have uses in certain corner cases, such as a partial spellcasting class that doesn't gain any spellcasting until later (such as the paladin) or a multiclassed character that gains spellcasting later (such as a crusader/cleric/ruby knight vindicator).

Efrate
2018-06-18, 12:32 PM
Ok thanks thats one prereq i can nab early and makes everything else smooth. Yeah silly raw.

noob
2018-06-18, 02:02 PM
Ok thanks thats one prereq i can nab early and makes everything else smooth. Yeah silly raw.

It is not that much silly.
What is sillier is those feats with 50 requirements that have seemingly no link with the feat itself.

lylsyly
2018-06-18, 02:07 PM
It is not that much silly.
What is sillier is those feats with 50 requirements that have seemingly no link with the feat itself.

Seconded, Thirded, Fortheded ......

And don't forget the PRCs with the same problem ;D

BowStreetRunner
2018-06-18, 02:34 PM
And don't forget the PRCs with the same problem ;D

Even if they do have some tentative link with the concept of the PrC, it can still get pretty silly. It would be like:

Imperial Messenger Prestige Class (Prerequisites: Athletic feat, Endurance feat, Improved Initiative feat, Run feat, Skill Focus (Profession: Porter) feat, Toughness feat)...

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-06-18, 02:50 PM
Even if they do have some tentative link with the concept of the PrC, it can still get pretty silly. It would be like:

Imperial Messenger Prestige Class (Prerequisites: Athletic feat, Endurance feat, Improved Initiative feat, Run feat, Skill Focus (Profession: Porter) feat, Toughness feat)...Which grants you +20' movement speed and allows you to dimension door 1/day. In 10 levels. With poor BAB and saves.

Efrate
2018-06-19, 09:36 AM
That from oriental adventures? Rokugan is much more fluff than crunch and messengers are important, but they, like most everything else, got wrecked in conversion from l5r to 3.0.