PDA

View Full Version : Iuz the Evil - Divine Soul

WalterO’dim
2018-06-18, 02:22 PM
Hey folks, I’m playing a divine soul sorcerer from the bloodline of Iuz the Evil. Problem is my character is a merchant from Waterdeep.

Any creative folks out there have an idea how I could make this connection to a Greyhawk deity in the Realms? The weirder the better!

Trask
2018-06-18, 02:34 PM
Hey folks, I’m playing a divine soul sorcerer from the bloodline of Iuz the Evil. Problem is my character is a merchant from Waterdeep.

Any creative folks out there have an idea how I could make this connection to a Greyhawk deity in the Realms? The weirder the better!

Before the defeat of Iuz, the living god knew that his offspring would be hunted to the ends of the world and that his bloodline would end. So to avoid this, he tore open a portal to a land in another world, a land He deemed ripe for conquest by his virile son. He sent an infant through the portal under the care of his most trusted and loyal servant. Unable to bring himself to abandon all that he had conquered, he stayed for the siege and was slain.

But the servant, a wise and intelligent man, knew that this son of god must be hidden until his power had grown. So, tucked away in the massive, decadent city of Waterdeep he started a trade with some of the treasure Lord Iuz had given him and provided for the boy. As he grew into a man it was clear that he had adopted the new ways of this foreign land, but the servant who he thought of as a father never let him forget that he real father was God (he actually believed this). After the servant died, the boy inherited the small wealth he had won and with it, decided to make his mark on this ripe land.

Unoriginal
2018-06-18, 02:46 PM
Your great-grandparent was a thief who lived in Greyhawk, and robbed a wizard's tower. As they were celebrating in a tavern, the wizard found them and was pissed enough to blast them with an half-finished spell to teach them a lesson (and to see what it did). After the explosion, the only thing left of your ancestor was a pair of smoking boots...

In reality, rather than dying, they got teleported to Faerun, where they started a new life, or rather continued their old one in a new world.

WalterO’dim
2018-06-20, 04:14 PM
But the servant, a wise and intelligent man, knew that this son of god must be hidden until his power had grown.

A cleric of iuz perhaps? I assume he had zealous followers...The son of pure evil, great grandson of Baba Yaga, grows up as a not-so-humble clothier! That’s great.

damascoplay
2018-06-20, 06:01 PM
Your merchant got drunk. After that, he discovered his new found powers that originated from some unknown entity trapped inside your body?

Getting drunk is the best way to decide something you don't know.

Made a pact with an Arch-Devil? Drunk.

Discovered divine powers? You were drunk.

A fiend destroyed the entire village and only you survived? You were drunk.

DRUNK.

Naanomi
2018-06-20, 06:03 PM
Waterdeep has a Spelljammer port right? Problem solved

Nifft
2018-06-20, 06:25 PM

Iuz lived in the Realms in disguise for many years whist gathering power. During this time, he sired a certain number of bastard children.

Mystra tried to exterminate them when she realized that she'd been tricked by Iuz's disguise, but clearly some survived, and the damage had been done -- several secret organizations that explicitly opposed Good had been created, and they believed themselves righteous even as they opposed what they should objectively know to be righteousness.

It's said that Iuz maintains a humble lodge near Shadowdale, near an entry to the alien topology of the Underdark, which is apparently useful when the demi-god wishes to traverse between worlds. In this humble lodge, one can sometimes find Old Wicked himself, who still maintains his fulsome disguise.

WalterO’dim
2018-06-21, 05:42 AM
Getting drunk is the best way to decide something you don't know.

DRUNK.

Life hack alert!!! This is really great advice folks.

Envyus
2018-06-21, 12:17 PM
Before the defeat of Iuz, the living god knew that his offspring would be hunted to the ends of the world and that his bloodline would end. So to avoid this, he tore open a portal to a land in another world, a land He deemed ripe for conquest by his virile son. He sent an infant through the portal under the care of his most trusted and loyal servant. Unable to bring himself to abandon all that he had conquered, he stayed for the siege and was slain.

But the servant, a wise and intelligent man, knew that this son of god must be hidden until his power had grown. So, tucked away in the massive, decadent city of Waterdeep he started a trade with some of the treasure Lord Iuz had given him and provided for the boy. As he grew into a man it was clear that he had adopted the new ways of this foreign land, but the servant who he thought of as a father never let him forget that he real father was God (he actually believed this). After the servant died, the boy inherited the small wealth he had won and with it, decided to make his mark on this ripe land.

I don't like the entire first part as it implies that Iuz ever considered defeat a thing. The guy is way way too arrogant to ever consider defeat. Also he has many many Children and gives about as much as a **** about them as he does about anyone else. (They are at best servants and slaves. And at worst toys to torment until they break.) Iuz is a god of Pain and Oppression. Also the idea of killing him off in backstory annoys me. (Which can't normally even happen as Iuz keeps a Soul Amulet in the Abyss that he will revive at like other Divine beings.) Plus the guys Empire is massive and no force in Greyhawk has been able to best it yet.

The More logical part is simply that the Sorcerer is a descendant of Iuz that got to the FR via his parents or grandparents using a spelljammer. As there is no need for the character to be directly related to Iuz.

Trask
2018-06-21, 12:28 PM
I don't like the entire first part as it implies that Iuz ever considered defeat a thing. The guy is way way too arrogant to ever consider defeat. Also he has many many Children and gives about as much as a **** about them as he does about anyone else. (They are at best servants and slaves. And at worst toys to torment until they break.) Iuz is a god of Pain and Oppression. Also the idea of killing him off in backstory annoys me. (Which can't normally even happen as Iuz keeps a Soul Amulet in the Abyss that he will revive at like other Divine beings.) Plus the guys Empire is massive and no force in Greyhawk has been able to best it yet.

The More logical part is simply that the Sorcerer is a descendant of Iuz that got to the FR via his parents or grandparents using a spelljammer. As there is no need for the character to be directly related to Iuz.

I have a healthy disrespect for D&D's "canon". Iuz isnt even in the setting so it doesnt matter. Many heroes in many campaigns have probably raised armies and defeated the tyrant god-king.

He may not care about his kids but wanting your bloodline to continue is a basic want that almost every healthy living being wants.

Yeah sure he could just be another generic devotee of an evil god, but op said the crazier the better, not the more boring the better.

WalterO’dim
2018-06-21, 12:38 PM

OK all good points. I like the idea of my character not knowing about his wicked lineage.

Is Spelljammer part of 5e? I just remember it from 2e when I was a kid.

Envyus
2018-06-21, 12:47 PM
OK all good points. I like the idea of my character not knowing about his wicked lineage.

Is Spelljammer part of 5e? I just remember it from 2e when I was a kid.

Yes it is. But the point is that a Spelljammer is ship that can travel from world to world. Waterdeep even has a port for Spelljammers.

I have a healthy disrespect for D&D's "canon". Iuz isnt even in the setting so it doesnt matter. Many heroes in many campaigns have probably raised armies and defeated the tyrant god-king.

He may not care about his kids but wanting your bloodline to continue is a basic want that almost every healthy living being wants.

Yeah sure he could just be another generic devotee of an evil god, but op said the crazier the better, not the more boring the better.

Iuz is not a healthy living being. He is a Cambion a half Demon, that became a evil God. He has no interest in his Bloodline continuing because he is going to live forever. Many Heroes in many campaigns have not defeated Iuz, thats why he and his empire are still around. Iuz is quoted in the new book of saying his ambitions do not stop and Oerth is merely going to be the first of many worlds to fall to him.

Killing the Plot hook is not interesting. It's actually the most boring option. The fact that you think killing Iuz because of your "disrespect" for D&D canon is more interesting then him potentially causing problems in the campaign is short sighted. The Sorcerer is not even going to be a devotee of an evil god, just descended from him.

MaxWilson
2018-06-21, 08:46 PM

Huh. And here I thought the Nameless King had recently acquired a name ("Iuz").

As for weird connections, hmmmm... Iuz made a bet with Asmodeus to see who was better at concealing secrets. He picked two of his granddaughters as convenient objects to hide. Asmodeus took one granddaughter and hid her in Waterdeep on Toril. Iuz has yet to find her. That was your mum, sixty years ago.

Leave it up to the DM to say what happened to the other granddaughter and who, if anyone, won the bet.