PDA

View Full Version : Giving blasting some love

Blu
2018-06-18, 03:18 PM
So i was thinking in ways to make blasting a better option overall, and the idea of using stat to damage sprout. Yes, i know casting in 3.5 is already pretty strong, but i feel that blasting is really basic option compared to other spells and most homebrew fixes i see to casting tend to put a shaft on blasting as well.

So FIRSTLY: To make blasting more worth it, the first change i would propose is to change how the spellcasting stats work.
For this my first tought would be so that the stat you need to cast spells is also the one that get's added to blasting spells while another stat is used to determine DC's. That way you make caster's more MAD without hampering blasting too much.
For example: A Wizard would need an INT score of at least 10+ Spell level to cast spells and his damage spells scale of INT. To determine the DC of his spells he would use his CAR or WIS score instead.

So now, for blasting i tought about three possibilities:

A) Spellcasters add a flat stat to total damage.
This is basically the Warmage ability given to everyone, it seems kind of weak to me but it could to shine in low levels or low power campaigns since it makes low level spells more efficient.

B) Spellcasters add STATxSpell level to total damage.
Giving a better chunk of damage to blast spells. Maybe if the numbers get too high, reducing the damage dice of blasting spells by one category might be necessary.

Here are some numbers to help you see how it can affect the damage of spells.
For a lvl 1 caster with 18 on his Stat using a spell that causes 1d6 damage:
1d6 = 3.5 avg damage
1d6 + 4 = 7.5 avg damage an increase of 114%
1d4 + 4 = 6.5 an increase of 86%

For a lvl 5 caster using a 3rd level spell that causes 5d6 damage:
5d6 = 17.5 avg damage
5d6 + 3*4 = 29.5, an increase of 69%
5d4 + 3*4 = 24.5, an increase of 40%

For a lvl 10 caster, with 20 on his Stat and using a +4 STAT item, casting a 10d6 damage 5th spell:
10d6 = 35
10d6 + 5*7 = 70, an increase of 100%
10d4 + 5*7 = 60, an increase of 71%

For a lvl 15 caster, using a +6 STAT item and casting a 15d6 damage 8th spell:
15d6 = 52.5
15d6 + 8*8 = 116.5, an increase of 122%
15d4 + 8*8 = 101.5, an increase of 93%

For a lvl 20 caster, using a +6 STAT item, a +5 Tome, and 23 on his stat, casting a 9th level 20d6 damage spell:
20d6 = 70
20d6 + 9*12 = 178, an increase of 154%
20d4 + 9*12 = 158, an increase of 126%

C) Giving a X*STAT, where X is a number based on how much damage dice the spells rolls. I was thinking on something around a third or half of damage dice, rounded up.

Here are some numbers using a third of damage dice as a base:
For a lvl 1 caster with 18 on his Stat using a spell that causes 1d6 damage:
1d6 = 3.5 avg damage
1d6 + 4 = 7.5 avg damage an increase of 114%
1d4 + 4 = 6.5 an increase of 86%

For a lvl 5 caster using a spell that causes 5d6 damage:
5d6 = 17.5 avg damage
5d6 + 2*4 = 25.5, an increase of 46%
5d4 + 2*4 = 20.5, an increase of 17%

For a lvl 10 caster, with 20 on his Stat and using a +4 STAT item, casting a 10d6 damage spell:
10d6 = 35
10d6 + 3*7 = 56, an increase of 60%
10d4 + 3*7 = 46, an increase of 31%

For a lvl 15 caster, using a +6 STAT item and casting a 15d6 damage spell:
15d6 = 52.5
15d6 + 5*8 = 92.5, an increase of 76%
15d4 + 5*8 = 77.5, an increase of 48%

For a lvl 20 caster, using a +6 STAT item, a +5 Tome, and 23 on his stat, casting a 20d6 damage spell:
20d6 = 70
20d6 + 6*12 = 142, an increase of 103%
20d4 + 6*12 = 122, an increase of 74%

Looking back, i think option C looks more viable, since if we drop the damage dice by one category, it seems like a fair buff to blasting.

Possible problems:
-When it comes to spells that require a save, like reflex for half or fortitude negates. The idea of making casters more MAD in a way that buffs blasting can backfire pretty hard. That way, maybe if go for option C without droping the dice category or option B to compensate a little for this. If you have an overall increase of 70%~100%, it can compensate for the fact that the DC's on spells is lower.

-Warmages, i don't really now how to aproach those, since i'm basically stealing a feature from that class, i think they deserve something in return. Maybe just adding a flat +1 to the multiplier might be doable.

Goaty14
2018-06-18, 11:16 PM
For this my first tought would be so that the stat you need to cast spells is also the one that get's added to blasting spells while another stat is used to determine DC's. That way you make caster's more MAD without hampering blasting too much.

In exchange for letting your enemies ignore half (if not, all) of your damage easier, you deal a little bit more damage... The concept is to buff blasting yet also push your side-agenda of nerfing casters?

One at a time, please.

Blu
2018-06-19, 12:58 AM
In exchange for letting your enemies ignore half (if not, all) of your damage easier, you deal a little bit more damage... The concept is to buff blasting yet also push your side-agenda of nerfing casters?

One at a time, please.

Not actually a side-agenda. The way it is right, with everything coming from the same stat would just mean the BFC, buffing and debuffing wizards would just get a free "hey, how your damage spells are also more effective", so that proposal was a way to try to buff one style without giving it for free to the others.

But i'll admit a lot of blast spells are X for half, wich makes my day really hard, since I either just give it for free to other styles or hamper blasting with the spell DC's, wich I even have gone over in problems section.

... you deal a little bit more damage...

I kind of get the feeling that you didn't read all the post. Some of the proposals can go over 100% increase in damage, and even tough that blasters might not get the best DC's, that doesn't necessarily mean they would be that low to save against. Even in a worse case scenario where enemy's would be always saving for half, if you get more than 100% damage increase, you still get a better deal overall.
On a sidenote, Evasion and similar ability's also can be problematic.

This idea is still early in development and I think it would really help to get some insight from the members here.

Mato
2018-06-19, 01:01 AM
So i was thinking in ways to make blasting a better option overall,Pick better spells.

Like combust, 2nd level touch spell, deals up to 10d8 damage and on a failed reflex save sets them on fire dealing another 1d6 per round until they put the fire out. Dalmar's lightning lance deals up to 36d6 damage per casting using a 4th level slot. Lightning leap deals up to 60d6 with a familiar and two symbionts using a 5th. At CL 20 lightning ring can deal up to 200d6 to multiple creatures over ten rounds using an 8th level slot and you can still cast spells. If you cast mark of the enlightened soul as a swift action before using them, they also deal +50% damage to evil creatures too.

Just focus on increasing your caster's primary attribute, for bonus spell slots, and you'll be all right. The main thing about casters not dealing damage is there are three people in your party focused on doing that. Maybe the 4th guy should try to be a little more supportive and a little less of a copycat.

SangoProduction
2018-06-19, 01:22 AM
It's less that blasting is bad, and more that there are other resources you could poor your mages in to than damage. Everyone and their cat can do damage. Not everyone can some much as produce laughable crowd control. Mages are often able to produce ludicrous amounts. In much the same way clerics tend to get pegged as 'healers' simply because most classes can't do it nearly as well as them, if at all.

The difference being that the control mage style is seen as more useful in combat, and with Wands of Lesser Vigor, mages can do it outside combat with little effort.

Fouredged Sword
2018-06-19, 08:27 AM
Honestly, if you want to buff blasting all you need to do is make 1 change...

Convert pure blasting spells from 1 slot = 1 casting per day to 1 slot = 1 casting per encounter for all spells that deal pure damage with no rider status effect.

Magic missile 1/encounter is worth a 1st level spell slot. Meteor 1/encounter is worth a precious 9th level spell slot.

A 20th level wizard with all blasting spells would be a murder machine. This is not a serious problem.