PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Dark Heresy 2nd Edition Need help designing a good Sororitas PC to play

surrenderpoint
2018-06-18, 06:27 PM
We're starting a new game of Dark heresy 2nd edition and I want to play a Sororitas PC. I'm trying to design the character to closely match the traditional sister of battle.
We'll be using the point buy system + Core book, Enemies within, Enemies Without, Enemies Beyond and Forgotten Gods books.
We start with 1000 xp.
Basically everything is standard rules.

If I'm aiming to become a Sister of Battle by eventually purchasing the elite advance. I'll need to obtain 40 WP 50 Influence 750 Exp
Since it's point buy I can start with 40 influence and 40 WP.
After that I get a bit lost in what aptitudes I should make sure I obtain and whatnot for the best way to be a good sister for cheap exp costs.

I know that I want to be tough and focus on Flamer and eventually Bolter. I would also be ok going for some chainsword/bolt pistol combo later on but don't think I should focus on it to start. I'm open to a melee build if that ends up being what's best.

From what I can tell the best role thing to do is take is one of these?

Crusader - Knowledge, Offence, Strength, Toughness, Willpower
Fanatic - Leadership, Toughness, Offence, Weapon Skill, Willpower
Warrior - Ballistic Skill, Defense, Offence, Strength, Weapon Skill
Penitent - Agility, Fieldcraft, Offence, Toughness, Intelligence
Heirophant - Fellowship, Social, Offence, Toughness, Willpower

I think Heirophant ends up being the best. I can swap Either of my sororitas aptitudes for ballistic skill.
Penitent I can swap Offence from sororitasfor something or keep social and my homeworld skill could get me weaponskill by being a double of one of the penitent aptitudes.

Obviously Background Adeptus Sororitas and the home world kind of dependent on what role I have if I duplicate an aptitude I can just swap it for any characteristic aptitude I want or pick up a home world that has an aptitude I need to be good at bolter gal.

My character will be very puritan and highly religious and faithful to the Emperor of mankind. I wouldn't mind having good social or investigative skills but am also ok being the pew pew/torture person.

I guess I mostly just want to be able to find and eliminate heretics.
Help? XD

noob
2018-06-19, 03:54 AM
Can you be a Untouchable or a null or a pariah too or is it impossible/too much expensive/would break the flavor?
It definitively helps with the defeating heretics part but it makes a very snowflake character which is a bad thing (and the interaction/fellowship loss will hamper the elite part).
still it is really useful to have some defense against all those warp thingies.
Did you already play with the gm you are going to have?
With some gms some skills are used a lot more than with others. (like knowledge which can have a very variable amount of use)
Also what are the skills the other players are going to have?
Do that gm split the party often?
does the gm have a favored kind of danger (such as explosives everywhere or gunning people or warp stuff or social intrigue kind of danger or yet some other kind of dangers) or use all the kind of dangers?
And in theory that thread would fit well in the Older D&D/AD&D and Other Systems section.

surrenderpoint
2018-06-19, 08:37 AM
I could be an untouchable however, it's not quite as strong in 2nd edition as it is in the books. At least not without heavy talent investment. Additionally, they describe untouchables as hated by mankind for their lack of soul. Getting half fellowship from all people and score of 1 to people who have psynicience or psy rating is rough. Can also cause RP issues with party psyker.

Haven't played with this GM yet so not sure what he'll throw at us.

So far the party is Desperado Psyker. Ace Guardsman. Rogue Trader Heirophant and Tech priest Churgion. + me.

After reading all the books extensively yesterday and making a few builds. Best I could come up with was this.

Feudal World Adeptus Sororitas Warrior Iron Jaw
Ballistic Skill, offence, Strength, Toughness, Willpower, Weaponskill, Defense
Athletics, intimidate, Common lore (Adepta Sororitas), Linguistics High Gothic, Medicae
Spend EXP Parry 100, Dodge 200, Strength up 100
Step Aside Tier 3 talent 2 evasions per round 600 exp cost
WS 40 BS 25 STR 30 T40 AG40 INT25 PER30 WP40 FEL25 Inf30
Be a boon to your allies and a bane to your enemies Hatred (Heretics)
Wounds 14
Fate 4

Equipment at start (3 scarce or better items + starter equipment)
Flamer + backpack of fuel
Fuedal world plate 5 AP all
Chainsword

The flamer doesn't require a Ballistic Skill on my part so it's ok that I'm bad at aiming XD
The talent is fairly strong but there might be better stuff to take like more skills or something.

LordCdrMilitant
2018-06-19, 12:06 PM
I could be an untouchable however, it's not quite as strong in 2nd edition as it is in the books. At least not without heavy talent investment. Additionally, they describe untouchables as hated by mankind for their lack of soul. Getting half fellowship from all people and score of 1 to people who have psynicience or psy rating is rough. Can also cause RP issues with party psyker.

Haven't played with this GM yet so not sure what he'll throw at us.

So far the party is Desperado Psyker. Ace Guardsman. Rogue Trader Heirophant and Tech priest Churgion. + me.

After reading all the books extensively yesterday and making a few builds. Best I could come up with was this.

Feudal World Adeptus Sororitas Warrior Iron Jaw
Ballistic Skill, offence, Strength, Toughness, Willpower, Weaponskill, Defense
Athletics, intimidate, Common lore (Adepta Sororitas), Linguistics High Gothic, Medicae
Spend EXP Parry 100, Dodge 200, Strength up 100
Step Aside Tier 3 talent 2 evasions per round 600 exp cost
WS 40 BS 25 STR 30 T40 AG40 INT25 PER30 WP40 FEL25 Inf30
Be a boon to your allies and a bane to your enemies Hatred (Heretics)
Wounds 14
Fate 4

Equipment at start (3 scarce or better items + starter equipment)
Flamer + backpack of fuel
Fuedal world plate 5 AP all
Chainsword

The flamer doesn't require a Ballistic Skill on my part so it's ok that I'm bad at aiming XD
The talent is fairly strong but there might be better stuff to take like more skills or something.

An Untouchable would be a Sister of Silence, who are not part of the Sisters of Battle.

That talent is very good. Your build as a whole looks fairly strong as the I-stab-the-bad-guys-in-the-face-and-have-0-subtlety sort of character who a Sister of Battle ought to be.

A lot of "what's good" depends on the GM. I've run Dark Heresy for 2 years, and just finished a Deathwatch campaign. In my games, Dodge, Awareness, Tech Use, Stealth, and Command tend to be popular to be good at. I tend to have a more combat-heavy game, and tend to have very open access to the arsenal of the Imperium. Enemies are usually drawn straight from codecies. Of course, some GM's do things very differently.

surrenderpoint
2018-06-19, 03:57 PM
This is the other build I was able to come up with. It has a much better mid/endgame potential. Since it can use the bolter and stormbolter later on.

Highborn Adeptus Sororitas Desperado, Quick Draw
Aptitudes Agility, Ballistic Skill, Defence, Fellowship, Finesse, Offence, Toughness
WS 25 BS 40 STR 25 T40 AG40 PER 25 WP 40 INF 40 FEL 25
Buy BS 100 T 100 AGI 100 Mighty Shot 400 Dodge +10 300
Wounds 14
Fate 4

Equipment at start 4 scarce items
Flamer + backpack
Chainblade
Imperial Guard Flak 4 AP all
Voxcaster or something idk for the last one

This would be a full flamer no melee build. Eventually picking up Divine Protection and using a Gorgon Pattern Flamers with extended mags
Possibly having ambidexterous, two weapon fighting ranged and Hip shooting One in each hand using Recoil Gloves for all the nasty dual wield corrosive armor eating firey justice with 20m range.

Really hard to decide.

LordCdrMilitant
2018-06-19, 04:11 PM
This is the other build I was able to come up with. It has a much better mid/endgame potential. Since it can use the bolter and stormbolter later on.

Highborn Adeptus Sororitas Desperado, Quick Draw
Aptitudes Agility, Ballistic Skill, Defence, Fellowship, Finesse, Offence, Toughness
WS 25 BS 40 STR 25 T40 AG40 PER 25 WP 40 INF 40 FEL 25
Buy BS 100 T 100 AGI 100 Mighty Shot 400 Dodge +10 300
Wounds 14
Fate 4

Equipment at start 4 scarce items
Flamer + backpack
Chainblade
Imperial Guard Flak 4 AP all
Voxcaster or something idk for the last one

This would be a full flamer no melee build. Eventually picking up Divine Protection and using a Gorgon Pattern Flamers with extended mags
Possibly having ambidexterous, two weapon fighting ranged and Hip shooting One in each hand using Recoil Gloves for all the nasty dual wield corrosive armor eating firey justice with 20m range.

Really hard to decide.

Sisters Dominions with Storm Bolters are really good in actual 40k :). Storm Bolters are also really good in Dark Heresy.

I don't actually think Flamers are that great in DH as a primary weapon for a shooting character, if you're good at shooting you would generally rather be using a full auto or accurate weapon that benefits from your high BS.

Of random interest, a Flamer can be wielded 1-handed, at a -20 penalty to BS, which... doesn't matter, because it's a flamer. Which means you can dual wield flamers, or wield a flamer and a power sword. This wouldn't really be great, but it's kind of cool.

Also, your background gives you a hand flamer and chainblade.

surrenderpoint
2018-06-19, 08:18 PM
Sisters Dominions with Storm Bolters are really good in actual 40k :). Storm Bolters are also really good in Dark Heresy.

I don't actually think Flamers are that great in DH as a primary weapon for a shooting character, if you're good at shooting you would generally rather be using a full auto or accurate weapon that benefits from your high BS.

Of random interest, a Flamer can be wielded 1-handed, at a -20 penalty to BS, which... doesn't matter, because it's a flamer. Which means you can dual wield flamers, or wield a flamer and a power sword. This wouldn't really be great, but it's kind of cool.

Also, your background gives you a hand flamer and chainblade.

What's nice about them in DH is that all enemies in your cone of fire 30m long at 30 degree arc have to test agility or take damage. This is generally easier to hit someone with than their dodge. After that turn if you hit them, on the next one they have to test another agility test or be set on fire taking 1d10 damage, making WP tests to perform actions (Like rolling) and get levels of fatigue. Also they auto fail this secondary test if they can't jump out of the way of the fire (They can only move up to their AG bonus away if they don't get out of the cone they fail it) Combine that with the Magnus pattern "Gorgon" Flamer [Basic 20m 1d10+4 E 2 pen 6 clip with Corrosive (1d10 extra damage that eats armor and after eating your armor applies directly to you ignoring toughness) Felling (Ignore unnatural toughness 1) Spray, Flame, Toxic 2 (If you take damage from any part of the attack the corrosive part or the regular flame you roll -20 toughness test or take 1d10 straight to wounds ignoring toughness and armor)] It makes it very easy to take out your enemies. Even if they have a 40% chance to evade that's 4 gouts of flame per turn. Couple that with the Sororitas talent Cleanse with Fire (Requires BS 40) you reroll any damage role of weapons with the flame quality that is lower than willpower bonus (Which is minimum 4 for sisters) Meaning your reroll anything sub 4 damage on the flamers. Plus it's a huge cone that you don't have to worry about hitting your allies with. Eating through armor and making all your teammates better at killing badguys.

Secondly if you read the spray quality on page 149 of the core book. You'll see that wielding a flamer without proficiency gives a +20 to the agility test which mirrors the -20 of not having proficiency with other guns and heavy flamers that aren't braced give a +30 which mirrors the -30 WS to heavy guns that aren't braced. The spirit of the rules RAI is that you apply any negatives you would normally take for WS as a bonus to the enemy agility test. It's not explicitly stated but the model for this on 149 seems to indicate that would be the case. Additionally this is the position my GM takes on the rules.

Compare that to Godwyn-De'az Stormbolter a Sister is likely to use. Basic weapon 80m S/2/4 1d10+4 X 4 pen 60 round clip Reliable, storm, tearing. It's pretty good. With a WS of 50 and full auto you have a 50%-60% chance (Assuming targeting upgrade + aiming etc) of getting 2 hits and a 40-50% chance of getting 4 hits. Which is admittedly a lot of potential damage to a single target. Especially with mighty shot. That could be 4d10+36 rerolling each 1d10 and taking the better because of tearing. 4 pen each shot and you could dual wield them ofc. But saying the flamer isn't that great is just something we'll have to disagree on. Hitting 1 guy for 4d10+xyz or all the guys for 3d10 Minimum roll 4 +xyz, 1d10 minimum 4 of which eats armor is a viable trade off to me.

Yes a handflamer I don't particularly care about much. I'd probably trade it in requisition at the start of the game for some grenades or something perhaps trade it for a chance at a chainblade isntead. With an influence bonus of +4 I can automatically succeed on 4 scare items. (Flamer, backpack, armor +1 more)

comk59
2018-06-20, 10:37 AM
I will say that the efficacy of Sisters of Battle is SUPER reliant on the GM. If you plan on going around in full combat regalia, Power Armor and all, be prepared for your cells Subtlety rating to plummet.

Now, this isn't an entirelt bad thing! Loyal citizens are gonna bend over backwards for a high ranking sororitas. But unloyal citizens are gonna see you coming from a mile away. And it's really not THAT hard to kill acolytes. Even gangers can seriously screw you up with firebombs and hand cannons.

surrenderpoint
2018-06-20, 11:00 AM
I will say that the efficacy of Sisters of Battle is SUPER reliant on the GM. If you plan on going around in full combat regalia, Power Armor and all, be prepared for your cells Subtlety rating to plummet.

Now, this isn't an entirelt bad thing! Loyal citizens are gonna bend over backwards for a high ranking sororitas. But unloyal citizens are gonna see you coming from a mile away. And it's really not THAT hard to kill acolytes. Even gangers can seriously screw you up with firebombs and hand cannons.

Totally agree. I plan on playing Puritan zero subtlety and see where the cards fall. If we all die in glorious service to Father then so be it.

LordCdrMilitant
2018-06-20, 12:04 PM
Totally agree. I plan on playing Puritan zero subtlety and see where the cards fall. If we all die in glorious service to Father then so be it.

WE WILL BE MARTYRS!

Subtlety isn't essential, just be aware that the enemy will probably try to hide from you most of the time, and only fight when they think they have superior force and position. It may be difficult to force them into an open confrontation that isn't on their terms, which you don't want. Unsubtle doesn't mean stupid, and is doesn't mean you can't be deceptive, it just means that everybody knows who your are and what your represent. You can also use lack of subtlety to your advantage, too.

There's also always the option to dealing with dissidents by firesweeping city blocks.

surrenderpoint
2018-06-20, 12:12 PM
Exactly. I just want to have fun with it.

Besides, fighting cultists on their terms can possibly be ok.

Isn't that what reinforcement characters are for? XD

-Cultists prepare a supreme trap for the party so that they may take them out easily-
-Party gets a Repentia or Penitent Engine to help out-
-Cultists wet their pants-

noob
2018-06-20, 12:29 PM
Scrapped due to confusion.

LordCdrMilitant
2018-06-20, 01:01 PM
Exactly. I just want to have fun with it.

Besides, fighting cultists on their terms can possibly be ok.

Isn't that what reinforcement characters are for? XD

-Cultists prepare a supreme trap for the party so that they may take them out easily-
-Party gets a Repentia or Penitent Engine to help out-
-Cultists wet their pants-

I have so many good stories from my DH and Deathwatch games. You'll have a lot of fun; 40k is a funny setting.

Ok so you have desperado head explode, a guardsmen(does he knows guardsmen have an hard time in a lot of situations? I mean you have a super low rank in the imperium of mankind and you do not have a very high ability for fighting)
a rogue trader(does that rogue have a ship and a crew with it? and is this trader good at social skills?) and a tech priest(that have probably some medical skills but is that tech priest super specialized or did it prepare some of the other tech priest tricks?(for example tech priest have a relatively easy time getting enough tanky for ignoring small arms fire and as a tech priest it might have taken some technology interaction skills))

He's not a actual Rogue Trader, he grew up on a Rogue Trader's ship.

The Glyphstone
2018-06-20, 02:13 PM
Guardsman isnt a career in DH2, just a background. The Ace is good as long as they have space to be mounted or driving. Desperado is a mobile gunslinger, heirophant is a social talky role, chirurgeon is a medic.