PDA

View Full Version : Adding multiple damage types to one attack

Clodix367
2018-06-19, 12:50 AM
This was all spawned from once when our white dragonborn paladin was grappled by a tree monster and decide to bite it's root and smite at the same time, putting cold and radiant damage together in game created this golden ice that never melted that I thought was really cool.

The way combining elements on a single attack to make new things could be a topic all it's own, but I went nuts with this idea of getting as many elements on one attack as possible by sacrificing absolutely anything that'd make this build actually playable. Here I go anyway

So I'm a black dragonborn, to add acid if we choose to bite. If your dm doesn't like the bite idea I say go flail for both piercing and bludgeoning.

Starting stats are S 16 D 10 C 12 I 8 W 13 Ch 16

First class is gonna be zelot barbarian for 3 levels to get 1d6 + 1 necrotic dmg
Reckless attack is also pretty great from this to get more crit chance cause there is gonna be a lot of dice

Next is 2 levels of paladin for divine smite, so a d8 of radiant

Then 3 levels of whispers bard to grab 2d6 of psychic dmg

Then 4 levels of the ne Circle of spores druid to add 1d6 poison dmg and a stat up I'm gonna dump in wis to make it 15

Then the last 8 into nature cleric to get the choice if 1d8 fire, cold, or lightning dmg and two more stat ups to bring wis to 16 and Strenght to 19

So in the end, with one spell slot on the first attack of a turn you are combining acid, necrotic, radiant, psychic, poison, and one of fire, cold, and lightning

How would you describe this attack in game? How would you describe different elements being combined into one attack? Is there ANY POSSIBLE WAY I could fit more elements onto this build?

leogobsin
2018-06-19, 02:45 AM
So a couple things: a dragonborn being able to add their breath weapon's damage to a bite attack (and actually dragonborn having a bite attack that wouldn't be modeled as an unarmed strike for that matter) must be a house rule/homebrew you're using, I can't find any source for that. Same with a flail dealing piercing and bludgeoning, flail in PHB just deals 1d8 bludgeoning.

I can think of a couple other ways to squeeze in some extra damage types. As a druid you can cast Absorb Elements, which could add acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder, and you could have one of your party cast Elemental Weapon (you could cast it yourself if you went Forge cleric rather than Nature, but it's a concentration spell and so you couldn't keep it up during rage) and add another one from that same list.

Clodix367
2018-06-19, 10:08 AM
So a couple things: a dragonborn being able to add their breath weapon's damage to a bite attack (and actually dragonborn having a bite attack that wouldn't be modeled as an unarmed strike for that matter) must be a house rule/homebrew you're using, I can't find any source for that. Same with a flail dealing piercing and bludgeoning, flail in PHB just deals 1d8 bludgeoning.

I can think of a couple other ways to squeeze in some extra damage types. As a druid you can cast Absorb Elements, which could add acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder, and you could have one of your party cast Elemental Weapon (you could cast it yourself if you went Forge cleric rather than Nature, but it's a concentration spell and so you couldn't keep it up during rage) and add another one from that same list.

Yes the bite is definitly homebrew we made based off the situation in the beginning, I don't know where we got the bludgeoning and piercing for flails though so good catch.

So let's say I got absorb elements for cold and someone cast elemental weapon on me to get thunder. How would a dm describe this attack that encompasses most of the damage types?

Clodix367
2018-06-19, 04:45 PM
I've taken the time to try and think of how some combine to make rp effects and created this list of all the damage types paired with radiant and necrotic

Fire
Radiant: Golden fire that can't be smothered
Necrotic: Green flames that consume excessively quickly
Cold
Radiant: Silver ice that never melts
Necrotic: Black sleet that chills to the bone
Lightning
Radiant: A glorious flash of light and heat
Necrotic: A cackling beam of condensed energy
Poison
Radiant: A sweet smell that clings to your lungs
Necrotic: A vile odor that attacks your nerves
Acid
Radiant: A warm sizzling sensation turns whatever it touches into dust
Necrotic: An intensely painful and fast decomposing liquid
Thunder
Radiant: A high pitched heavenly ring
Necrotic: A concussive wave of dispare
Psychic
Radiant: A judgmental tone talking down to you
Necrotic: An insane rambling insulting you
Force
Radiant: Magic vapors that shine like precious metals
Necrotic: Inky black whisp of thick fog

Eric Diaz
2018-06-19, 07:55 PM
Yes the bite is definitly homebrew we made based off the situation in the beginning, I don't know where we got the bludgeoning and piercing for flails though so good catch.

So let's say I got absorb elements for cold and someone cast elemental weapon on me to get thunder. How would a dm describe this attack that encompasses most of the damage types?

There is this in 3e:

Morningstar 8 gp 1d6 1d8 ×2 — 6 lb. Bludgeoning and piercing

If a weapon is of two types, the damage it deals is not half one type and half another; all of it is both types. Therefore, a creature would have to be immune to both types of damage to ignore any of the damage from such a weapon.

I do think it is a great idea, as it "fixes" the morningstar...

http://methodsetmadness.blogspot.com/2018/05/5e-d-melee-weapons-one-by-one-analysis.html