PDA

View Full Version : Faking a failed save as an ambush tactic?

Warchon
2018-06-19, 03:13 AM
This might be a reach, but are there any classes or feats that can do this in a useful way?
AFAIK nothing in the rules actually states that a caster knows whether a target succeeds on a save, unless of course it's visually obvious (he's not on fire, he -probably- saved) but I haven't encountered a group where the DM doesn't simply announce success or failure in almost all cases...this default behaviour is supported by the minority of spells that explicitly state that the caster does NOT immediately know whether a casting was successful or not. No examples come to mind, but I am positive I have read this language. (Counterpoint: The Fiend of Blasphemy (http://www.realmshelps.net/charbuild/classes/prestige/evil/blasphemy.shtml) ability Blood Oath explicitly states that the Fiend is aware if the ability is resisted.)
But a character built around the idea of pretending to be mind controlled, paralyzed, etc and then taking the foe by surprised when he moves in to take advantage of his 'victory' could be a fun idea.

Alternatively, can WE put something together that does this, using only existing rules, i.e. no homebrew?

Obviously the character would need a high Spellcraft check to know what to do when she resists a spell.
Knowledges are similarly important for the purposes of knowing what non-spell abilities to be prepared for.
Good saves and/or a strong set of save bonuses would be a must.
SR and even spell immunities would be even better.
Bluff as a class skill is a no brainer here.
Sneak Attack dice is an obvious synergy.
Class features to help ensure the monsters/casters in question have some reason to prioritize targeting the Opposum character seems important.
Some kind of reactive illusion effect would also help sell the idea that you've failed a save when it would otherwise be visually obvious you have not.
It'd probably be smart to have a few goodies not directly related to this tactic too, so the character isn't useless in a more head-on conflict.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-06-19, 03:31 AM
Actually, you do know if a target saves against a targeted spell as opposed to an AOE.

See "Succeeding on a saving throw" here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#savingThrow)

Warchon
2018-06-19, 03:38 AM
Actually, you do know if a target saves against a targeted spell as opposed to an AOE.

See "Succeeding on a saving throw" here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#savingThrow)

Nice! Yes, that definitely makes it clear. That does mean that there's almost certainly no way to build a character around this tactic unless WoTC already designed a class around it though.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-06-19, 03:42 AM
Nice! Yes, that definitely makes it clear. That does mean that there's almost certainly no way to build a character around this tactic unless WoTC already designed a class around it though.

I'm having trouble remembering where it is right now but there -is- a feat that lets you fake failing a will save against certain enchantments to fake out the creature seeking control over you.

Found it. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm#falsePretenses)

That's unearthed arcana if you need the hard-copy location.

Warchon
2018-06-19, 04:01 AM
False Pretenses looks like a good place to start. At worst, a permissive DM might help you homebrew up related feats to fake other types of effects. Spending multiple such feats on a build like this doesn't sound like an unreasonable tax.

frogglesmash
2018-06-19, 05:50 AM
Jaebrin (from mmv) have an ability called "feign enchantment" which allows them to a) know the intended effect of enchantments cast on them b) always appear to have failed their saving throw against enchants, regardless of the actual outcome c) appear to be under the effects of the enchantments when examined with detect magic, regardless of the success of their save against said effects.

Zaq
2018-06-19, 09:07 AM
I seem to recall a spell in Complete Scoundrel whose intended effect is to allow you to resist a mind-control effect but to cause the source of the mind-control effect to think that you’re under its sway. Is that relevant in any way?

lylsyly
2018-06-19, 09:21 AM
I seem to recall a spell in Complete Scoundrel whose intended effect is to allow you to resist a mind-control effect but to cause the source of the mind-control effect to think that you’re under its sway. Is that relevant in any way?

That would be the Disobedience spell, page 97, Bard 3, Sorc/Wiz 3

Warchon
2018-06-19, 11:20 AM
All of these--the race, the spell, the feat--are totally in line with what I'm looking for. Jaebrin in particular are almost line-for-line the way I pictured this working as a combat tactic.
Everything so far is exclusive to mind control, however.
Can we find anything that broadens that focus?