PDA

View Full Version : Build and weapon choice advice for Rogue Inquisitive?

NiklasWB
2018-06-19, 07:30 AM
Hello, I’ve been thinking about making a Tiefling Rogue Inquisitive that is sort of like a Detective/Sherlock Holmes type that works with the law enforcement in his hometown.

I’m thinking about going either Feral variant Tiefling from SCAG or Glasya variant Tiefling from Mordekainen's Tome of Foes.

I’m also set on taking the Observant Feat at some early point just for the RP effects.

Other than that, I’m looking for input on how to create an interesting but effective character.

We do point buy 27, with one free feat at level 1 (not PAM, GWM, SS, Crossbow Expert, Lucky, Warcaster, Shield Master etc… basically a ban on the ones that EVERYONE always takes). I was going to pick Observant here for +1 WIS.

My idea right now would be Glasya variant Tiefling:

STR 10
DEX 16
CON 14
INT 12
WIS 14 (13+1 after Observant feat)
CHA 10

Going for DEX 20 should probably be a priority after that. After that I’m not sure if I should bump WIS or CON or take one or more feats. Mobile, Dual Wielder, Skulker, Alert?

And what about weapons and playstyle? I don’t see him as being a bow user, and probably only uses crossbows when he has to.

My thinking is that I have three alternatives in terms of weapons.

1. Dual wielding short swords in melee (or daggers, for throwing versatility). Bonus action will often be used to attack, but also gives a better chance to land sneak attack.
2. Whip. Taking the Weapon master feat or dip fighter 1 for whip proficiency (or persuade the DM to grant him proficiency in whip for free). Should make him bit more ‘unique’, and reach should be fun for a melee rogue. Frees up bonus action for cunning action every round.
3. “Switch hitter” with light crossbow at range and a single short sword (or rapier) in melee. Versatile, bonus action open for cunning action, but does not excel at anything.

What do you guys think? Which weapons or tactics would work well for an Inquisitive.

Thank you for your input.

Crgaston
2018-06-19, 07:46 AM
One of the best things about the Inquisitive Rogue, imo, is it’s ability to get SA without Advantage at range. So I’d definitely have a ranged weapon in my arsenal. I’ve been kind of partial to the sling on rogues here lately. It can tuck up your sleeve or in a pocket when not in use and most of your damage will come from SA anyway.

You could if your DM will let you re-spec Crossbow Expert as Sling Expert for another chance to land SA.. The range is the same as a hand crossbow, the damage is less, and slings are easier to load than crossbows anyway. It’d be competing with your bonus action, but could come in handy at times.

NiklasWB
2018-06-20, 01:59 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'm not really looking to build a ranged character, and I'm not keen on the sling as a concept.

I think I'll keep a light crossbow as a backup range weapon, but overall I feel like this character would be going into melee.

So given, the three options:

1. Dual wielding short swords
2. Whip
3. Single short sword

Which one would be better?

leogobsin
2018-06-20, 04:28 AM
I would say go for double shortswords. Once you're in melee and planning to stay there, Cunning Action can't help you out very often, and Insightful Fighting lasts a minute, so you should have plenty of turns where you get use out of an extra opportunity to land a Sneak Attack.

Naanomi
2018-06-20, 07:21 AM
I went with Magic Initiate: Magic Stone and a sling

Yagyujubei
2018-06-20, 08:37 AM
I feel like a chain flail/whip fits the feel of an inquisitor the most. and of course an xbow

ImproperJustice
2018-06-20, 11:38 AM
I am late to this, but our GM lets our Mastermind or Inquisitive rogues run around with Canes, which are the light, finesse version of a club.

Might see if your GM would allow such a thing.