PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Wizard -> Lich, EK -> ?

Rogerdodger557
2018-06-19, 09:12 AM
Preface: This is for a bbeg in a campaign I'm going to be running.

What would you call an Eldritch Knight who performs a ritual to become an undead. Wizards become lichs, Warlocks(Depending on the DM) can become Deathloks(new monster in Mordenkainen's), and paladins become Death Knights. But what about EKs?

JackPhoenix
2018-06-19, 09:34 AM
It's not a matter of what they call themselves. Liches, death knights and deathlocks are specific types of undead. EK may end up as a vampire, mummy, some sort of spellcasting wight, ghost,...

Maxilian
2018-06-19, 09:35 AM
What put them in certain categories are the methods of how they are transformed into undeads, so it would depends, in most cases EK wouldn't have the knowledge nor the magical power to become an undead, so they will most likely do it through someone else (Maybe through a vampire, or just getting killed and raised as one of the many types of undeads)

Vogie
2018-06-19, 09:52 AM
An EK may also become a death knight, just with arcane power instead of divine

EDIT: Maybe Eater of Dust? They aren't undead by RAW (They're Aberrations that happen to look like knights), but that idea you could warp into undead EKs

Unoriginal
2018-06-19, 09:55 AM

What would you call an Eldritch Knight who performs a ritual to become an undead. Wizards become lichs, Warlocks(Depending on the DM) can become Deathloks(new monster in Mordenkainen's), and paladins become Death Knights. But what about EKs?

Death Knights and Deathlocks aren't the result of a ritual, to be clear. They're involuntary results of one's life cursing them beyond death.

An Eldritch Knight... well, as a whole the subclass represent someone who's a fighter and who learned arcane magic as a supplementary tool rather than focusing on the basics, tactics, magical archery, guarding one's allies, or iron-clad resolve. Doesn't seem like they'd have a special kind of undead tied to them.

Maybe the term Death Gish would fit the concept you want?

"Fighting a Death Gish? If you have a death wish."

MaxWilson
2018-06-19, 10:34 AM

Corpse.

Okay, but seriously. Since when do Eldritch Knights have the magical mojo necessary to perform major spells? The only route that ought to be open to them is the route that doesn't require magical rituals at all, e.g. selling your soul to Orcus or feeding yourself to a Mind Flayer or moving to the astral plane (via a portal or other means) or something like that. None of those options require any particular magical abilities. After that transformation, the Eldritch Knight winds up in the same place, as the same type of creature, that a Champion or a Ranger or a Rogue would--or a Wizard who wasn't able to or refused to pursue lichdom.

(If you allow magical rituals without inherent magical ability, e.g. alchemy by following a recipe, the point still holds--the EK still has no special advantage at them by virtue of being an EK.)

Anyone can become a corpse or a slave of Orcus. Becoming a lich is an additional option which requires (1) lots of magical power, and (2) an utter lack of conscience and a willingness to become a horrific form of undead.

Anyway, I'd just go with Vampire for your BBEG. Vampires have lots of interesting powers, and lots of interesting restrictions, which adds up to lots of interesting interaction potential. E.g. it's pretty easy to set up the scenario where the PCs meet-and-greet the BBEG without getting killed, because he can't enter a dwelling without being invited first, so they just have a conversation through a closed door (and maybe fight some of his human thralls or summoned wolves before or after, if appropriate to the situation).

Spectrulus
2018-06-19, 10:43 AM
Best thing I would say an Eldritch Knight might be able to figure out, would be how to animate their armour and become done kind of empowered helmed horror. I think the other posts are fairly spot on for undead types.

Unoriginal
2018-06-19, 10:46 AM
Just to say, not all rituals *strictly* require you to be a powerful caster, or a caster at all.

That being said, becoming a Lich is one of the rituals that specifically call for a lot of arcane might and secrets, and if there was a ritual that allowed an Eldritch Knight to become a special powerful undead, it'd probably work for everyone as long as they managed it properly.

Question is, why did your Eldritch Knight BBEG want to become an undead, in particular? Being an undead is hardly a desirable state for most people.

Rogerdodger557
2018-06-19, 11:21 AM
"Fighting a Death Gish? If you have a death wish."

That is a terrible pun. You should be proud.

Just to say, not all rituals *strictly* require you to be a powerful caster, or a caster at all.

That being said, becoming a Lich is one of the rituals that specifically call for a lot of arcane might and secrets, and if there was a ritual that allowed an Eldritch Knight to become a special powerful undead, it'd probably work for everyone as long as they managed it properly.

Question is, why did your Eldritch Knight BBEG want to become an undead, in particular? Being an undead is hardly a desirable state for most people.

These events are happening centuries, maybe millennia before the start of the campaign.

He was my first character that I played a 5e campaign with, which was Tyranny of Dragons. Part of what drove him to fight Tiamat was a vision of world where the Cult succeeds, so when his group found evidence of the cult stepping up what they were doing, he jumped on the chance to prevent his vision from happening. That was the end of the campaign, where the DM had control. I'm adding on the 2 days after the fight(we won), he had the same vision. Night, after night, after night, becoming a nightmare. he develops an obsession with killing Tiamat, but has no way of knowing when the cult would rear it's head again. So he seeks out immortality, in whatever way he can. It takes him down some dark roads, and he ends up finding the Book of Vile Darkness after clearing out a den of necromancers(He was convinced he was still CG, despite his descent into CE). In the book, he found his answer to immortality, and the power to kill Tiamat, once and for all.

Segev
2018-06-19, 12:41 PM
Given that he's a BBEG who's using an artifact to guide him to immortality, maybe he's a unique variation on more typical undead. L5R have something called "khadi," which are like liches in that they have a box that contains their life force, but unlike them in that they don't gain additional supernatural offensive powers and that the box contains their heart, which, if stabbed, will kill them. They look alive and well, other than having no heartbeat, and they have better rejuvenation: all damage fades away rather quickly and they're good as new within an hour as long as their heart is safe.

I propose a variation on this to ensure it retains a certain je ne se qua of evil: While having his heart in the box keeps him unliving and gives him that spectacular healing, it doesn't actually solve the "aging" issue. To sustain his life, he must remove the still-beating heart of another of his own race and place it within his chest. He then assumes the age of the person from whom the heart came, and ages at the rate that person would have. His own heart doesn't age while he has another to draw upon, but those prescious minutes while he's heartless, even between replacement, do accumulate, slowly. And if he's dropped to 0 hp, the heart in his chest dies, so his clock starts ticking again.

However, mechanically, after a short rest he regains all hp and regenerates any lost limbs, no matter how damaged, disfigured, or destroyed his body might have been. He will likely be seeking a new heart ASAP, though, to stave off the encroaching steps of time.

Removing his heart from its box causes him to suffer chest pains as if enduring a heart attack, and he feels any damage or danger to it. Destroying the heart kills him permanently.

Waterdeep Merch
2018-06-19, 12:53 PM
What CR do you want him to be? My first thought would be using the lich as a base and modifying as needed.

Rogerdodger557
2018-06-19, 12:59 PM
What CR do you want him to be? My first thought would be using the lich as a base and modifying as needed.

CR 25-ish. For base abilities I'm going with it as if he was 19 fighter, 6 Wizard, with additional stuff (Legendary Resistances, magic items, etc.) to make him viable in a 1 vs. many situation. I am willing to hear any other opinions or options though, and will take them into consideration.

Edit: While I should have asked, my thanks to Unorginal for the amazing pun. Couldn't resist.

UrielAwakened
2018-06-19, 01:29 PM
Best thing I would say an Eldritch Knight might be able to figure out, would be how to animate their armour and become done kind of empowered helmed horror. I think the other posts are fairly spot on for undead types.

Run with this.

Rather than an animated corpse, have them be a spirit trapped in a legendary set of armor and weapons. That's beautiful and not very commonly-done.

Segev
2018-06-19, 02:04 PM
Run with this.

Rather than an animated corpse, have them be a spirit trapped in a legendary set of armor and weapons. That's beautiful and not very commonly-done.

In keeping with the "evil" theme, since this is BoVD-gifted "immortality," maybe the armor isn't animated...merely intelligent, holding his spirit. And he has such a high Ego rating that he always dominates whoever puts on the armor. Add a suggestion effect that makes people think it's the most awesome armor ever, and that they absolutely must try it on, and (if they know of the possession clause) that they surely are strong enough of will to not be taken over.

Unoriginal
2018-06-19, 02:04 PM
CR 25-ish. For base abilities I'm going with it as if he was 19 fighter, 6 Wizard, with additional stuff (Legendary Resistances, magic items, etc.) to make him viable in a 1 vs. many situation. I am willing to hear any other opinions or options though, and will take them into consideration.

I would suggest you take the Skull Lord statblock from the Mordenkainen and buff it up accordingly

Edit: While I should have asked, my thanks to Unorginal for the amazing pun. Couldn't resist.

Don't worry about it. And thanks.

Degwerks
2018-06-19, 02:08 PM
Couldn't a Valor Bard pilfer the magic needed to become a Lich? Has pretty much EK abilities anyway and access to 9th level spells.

Waterdeep Merch
2018-06-19, 02:16 PM

Casting isn't normally going to be his focus, unless we assume he uses the EK ability to slash 'n cast, which is an excellent assumption to be making here. He just doesn't have enough raw spell power to make that his focus at CR 25.

This isn't bad, though. I'd let the blade lich use the EK's war magic ability, letting them either cast firebolt as a bonus action on top of four sword swings per round, or cast a full normal spell and still get a normal attack as a bonus action. This keeps their DPS fairly high.

As for legendary actions, allow three- standard attack, spell cast (costs 2), or move. He can use this to reapply a buff if needed, but otherwise will brutalize, as he shreds things. Haste will be his favorite buff. Use normal reactions for Shield and Absorb Elements- it sounds cheap, and it sort of is, but it means the players have to respond to his flexibility in what they target each round.

A full rough draft-

Blade Lich
Undead humanoid, medium (lawful evil?)
HP: 315 (30d10 + 150)
AC: 23 (Full Plate +3, Shield); 24 with Haste
Speed: 30 feet

STR: 20 (+5) DEX: 10 (+0) CON: 20 (+5) INT: 16 (+3) WIS: 14 (+2) CHA: 8 (-1)
Skills: Arcana (+10), Athletics (+12), Perception (+9)
Senses: Truesight (120 ft.), passive Perception 19
Saves: Strength (+12), Constitution (+12)
Resistances: Piercing, Slashing, Cold, Lightning, Necrotic
Immunities: Poison
Condition Immunities: Charmed, Exhausted, Frightened, Paralyzed, Poisoned

Turn Resistance: The Blade Lich has advantage on saving throws against any effect that turns undead.

Magic Resistance: The Blade Lich has advantage against any Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma saving throw.

Legendary Resistance: If the Blade Lich fails a saving throw, he can choose to succeed instead. (3/Day)

Rejuvenation: If it has a phylactery, a destroyed Blade Lich gains a new body in 1d10 days, regaining all its hit points and becoming active again. The new body appears within 5 feet of the phylactery.

Spellcasting: The Blade Lich casts spell as a Wizard (+10 to hit with spell attacks, spell save DC 18). He has the following spells prepared:
Cantrips: Firebolt, Chill Touch, Mage Hand (at will)
1st: Absorb Elements, Burning Hands, Find Familiar, Shield (4/Day)
2nd: Acid Arrow, Detect Thoughts, Mirror Image (3/Day)
3rd: Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Fireball, Haste (3/Day)

Actions
Multiattack: The Blade Lich makes four +3 longsword attacks. He may replace one of these with a paralyzing touch. He may make five attacks if he is under the effects of haste.

+3 Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 14 (1d8 + 10) magical slashing damage.

Paralyzing Touch. Melee Spell Attack: +10 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 10 (3d6) cold damage. The target must succeed on a DC 18 Constitution saving throw or be paralyzed for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Firebolt. Ranged Spell Attack: +10 to hit, range 120 ft., one creature. Hit: 22 (4d10) fire damage.

Chill Touch. Ranged Spell Attack: +10 to hit, range 120 ft., one creature. Hit: 18 (4d8) necrotic damage, and the target cannot regain hit points until the start of the Blade Lich's next turn. If this attack hits an undead, it has disadvantage on attack rolls against the Blade Lich until the end of his next turn.

Bonus Actions
War Magic. If the Blade Lich used his action to either use his Multiattack or make an attack with his +3 Longsword or Paralyzing Touch, he may cast Firebolt or Chill Touch as a bonus action.

Improved War Magic. If the Blade Lich used his action to cast a spell, he may make one attack with his +3 Longsword or one attack with Paralyzing Touch as a bonus action.

Reactions
Parry. If the Blade Lich is hit by a melee attack it can see, he may add +2 to his AC against that attack as a reaction.

Legendary Actions
The Blade Lich can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The Blade Lich regains spent legendary actions at the start of his turn.

Attack. The Blade Lich makes an attack with his +3 Longsword.
Cast (Costs 2 Actions). The Blade Lich casts a spell which requires one action.
Move. The Blade Lich moves up to his speed.

Rogerdodger557
2018-06-19, 02:17 PM
I would suggest you take the Skull Lord statblock from the Mordenkainen and buff it up accordingly

Don't worry about it. And thanks.

Forgot about that one. Will check it out.

Waazraath
2018-06-19, 03:01 PM

In this case: just Lich him, no worries. In older editions (at least 3.x), a lvl 10 caster could become a Lich. Translating that to 5e, you have a lvl 25 character, who casts like a level 12 full caster. Plenty of arcane knowledge, being an epic char and having 6 levels of wizard, and that's not even counting that in 5e all knowledge arcane is just a simple int check (arcane), which should be higher then any for a char like this (max int, max proficiency), barring expertise.

Unoriginal
2018-06-19, 03:23 PM
In this case: just Lich him, no worries. In older editions (at least 3.x), a lvl 10 caster could become a Lich. Translating that to 5e, you have a lvl 25 character, who casts like a level 12 full caster. Plenty of arcane knowledge, being an epic char and having 6 levels of wizard, and that's not even counting that in 5e all knowledge arcane is just a simple int check (arcane), which should be higher then any for a char like this (max int, max proficiency), barring expertise.

An hypothetical lvl 25 character would be muchweaker than a CR 25 one.

A CR 25 being is supposed to be able to fight 4 lvl 25 characters and be a Medium encounter still.

With CR 25 you're stronger than plenty of Demon Princes and Archdukes of Hell.

UrielAwakened
2018-06-19, 03:37 PM
Casting isn't normally going to be his focus, unless we assume he uses the EK ability to slash 'n cast, which is an excellent assumption to be making here. He just doesn't have enough raw spell power to make that his focus at CR 25.

This isn't bad, though. I'd let the blade lich use the EK's war magic ability, letting them either cast firebolt as a bonus action on top of four sword swings per round, or cast a full normal spell and still get a normal attack as a bonus action. This keeps their DPS fairly high.

As for legendary actions, allow three- standard attack, spell cast (costs 2), or move. He can use this to reapply a buff if needed, but otherwise will brutalize, as he shreds things. Haste will be his favorite buff. Use normal reactions for Shield and Absorb Elements- it sounds cheap, and it sort of is, but it means the players have to respond to his flexibility in what they target each round.

A full rough draft-

Blade Lich

Turn Resistance: The Blade Lich has advantage on saving throws against any effect that turns undead.

Magic Resistance: The Blade Lich has advantage against any Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma saving throw.

Legendary Resistance: If the Blade Lich fails a saving throw, he can choose to succeed instead. (3/Day)

Rejuvenation: If it has a phylactery, a destroyed Blade Lich gains a new body in 1d10 days, regaining all its hit points and becoming active again. The new body appears within 5 feet of the phylactery.

Spellcasting: The Blade Lich casts spell as a Wizard (+10 to hit with spell attacks, spell save DC 18). He has the following spells prepared:

Actions
Multiattack: The Blade Lich makes four +3 longsword attacks. He may replace one of these with a paralyzing touch. He may make five attacks if he is under the effects of haste.

+3 Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 14 (1d8 + 10) magical slashing damage.

Paralyzing Touch. Melee Spell Attack: +10 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 10 (3d6) cold damage. The target must succeed on a DC 18 Constitution saving throw or be paralyzed for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Firebolt. Ranged Spell Attack: +10 to hit, range 120 ft., one creature. Hit: 22 (4d10) fire damage.

Chill Touch. Ranged Spell Attack: +10 to hit, range 120 ft., one creature. Hit: 18 (4d8) necrotic damage, and the target cannot regain hit points until the start of the Blade Lich's next turn. If this attack hits an undead, it has disadvantage on attack rolls against the Blade Lich until the end of his next turn.

Bonus Actions
War Magic. If the Blade Lich used his action to either use his Multiattack or make an attack with his +3 Longsword or Paralyzing Touch, he may cast Firebolt or Chill Touch as a bonus action.

Improved War Magic. If the Blade Lich used his action to cast a spell, he may make one attack with his +3 Longsword or one attack with Paralyzing Touch as a bonus action.

Reactions
Parry. If the Blade Lich is hit by a melee attack it can see, he may add +2 to his AC against that attack as a reaction.

Legendary Actions
The Blade Lich can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The Blade Lich regains spent legendary actions at the start of his turn.

This seems way below a CR 25 monster. I'll take a stab at it when I get home OP.

Waazraath
2018-06-19, 03:37 PM
An hypothetical lvl 25 character would be muchweaker than a CR 25 one.

A CR 25 being is supposed to be able to fight 4 lvl 25 characters and be a Medium encounter still.

With CR 25 you're stronger than plenty of Demon Princes and Archdukes of Hell.

But is this was the base, then adding Lich abilities would make the character stronger. Don't know if it's strong enough to be CR 25, didn't do any calculations, but it would be a fine point to start from imo. I don't see fluff reasons to have the character not be a lich, that's my point.

Unoriginal
2018-06-19, 03:40 PM
I don't see fluff reasons to have the character not be a lich, that's my point.

Well giving that the character spent centuries reading the Book of Vile Darkness, you would be correct. I don't think even Vecna would keep the thing that long.

ShneekeyTheLost
2018-06-19, 03:49 PM
How about this:

Instead of becoming a big bad undead, he becomes a big bad construct? I mean... Lichs are kind of overused for this sort of scenario, and don't really fit an EK's bag, since an EK is more of a martial guy than a caster guy, and Lichdom really requires more magical oomph than they are capable of.

But how about an evil artifact that helped him transfer his soul into something like a golem or animated armor? Or even better, a cursed evil artifact that unwillingly drew him into the golem or animated armor, and swapped with whomever was currently in there, kind of Soul Jar style? Maybe this guy wasn't good enough to become a lich, but good enough to set up the boobytrap and transfer his soul into the object. Then when our BBEG comes along... bam!

So, now cursed, and not really having a major problem with it as he managed to retain cognitive function instead of simply being imprisoned into it, he is free to be effectively immortal in a non-aging artificial body to do whatever he likes with the next few thousand years.

This gives him a whole host of different traits and abilities and drawbacks from standard undead style BBEG's, which require a completely different setup to deal with.

Waterdeep Merch
2018-06-19, 05:34 PM
This seems way below a CR 25 monster. I'll take a stab at it when I get home OP.

I'm probably overvaluing the resistances. I assumed the HP was equal to double what it appears to be, and the damage assumptions are based on the idea that he's using Haste, full attacking with firebolt, and then using three extra basic attacks every turn. It's a bit of a math nightmare without my books on hand.

By all means, I'd love some help completing it.

Rogerdodger557
2018-06-20, 06:26 AM

A full rough draft-

Blade Lich

His AC would be at 24 passively due to Dual Wielding and an Axe of Power(Staff with an Axe head attached

I had the strength higher(belt of frost giant strength), and since he has two tomes of stat boosting, INT: 30, CHA: 18.

Will keep the same

I'll change this up(if character level, it would 19 fighter, 6 wizard), and since he was a tank build EK(Shield, Absorb Elements, etc.), I'll want the spells to reflect that.

Actions

I was hesitant about paralyzing touch remaining, but since it's a classic ability, I'll probably keep it in. And the only thing with the weapon attacks is making it switch between his sword and his axe

Like I said before, might change these(probably won't, he has firebolt, and preventing healing is too much fun), but I'll add what he known for attack cantrips

Bonus Actions

Nothing wrong here

Reactions

This will probably change to what he has reactions for already(Shield, Absorb Elements, etc.), and I might give him two reactions. Is that too broken? I know mareliths get 6.

Legendary Actions

I would add Cantrip, and instead of Move, I might use

Disrupt Life (Costs 3 Actions). Each living creature within 20 feet of the lich must make a DC 18 Constitution saving throw against this magic, taking 21 (6d6) necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
This is a copy pasta from an archlich's statblock in something I ran for Adventurer's League, and I like the flavor of it. His name is Szass Tam.

All in all, I really like it, and will probably be a tough fight, since he may or may not of made the rest of his party his undead servants :smallbiggrin:

Unoriginal
2018-06-20, 06:33 AM
Of course the irony is that to do all that stuff, this BBEG has to be worse than Tiamat will ever be.

Having Tiamat be the Face of your wrestling match because you're so much more of an Heel than her is quite the accomplishment.

Rogerdodger557
2018-06-20, 06:54 AM
Of course the irony is that to do all that stuff, this BBEG has to be worse than Tiamat will ever be.

Having Tiamat be the Face of your wrestling match because you're so much more of an Heel than her is quite the accomplishment.

Definitely the point. His obsessiveness has driven him insane, and part of the end plot is him summoning Tiamat to the material plane, binding her there, and then killing her permanently. However, the party's paladin got the crown of the dragon queen, and he split it into the 5 masks again and sent them all over the world before my EK caught up with him.